Arizona Unit 4a Hunt

Cody.Carroll

So luck struck twice for me this year in the AZ draw, and I was able to grab a Unit 4a tag for Bull Elk during the first Archery Season in addition to a pronghorn tag in a different unit. This is going to be my first Elk hunt ever, so I am already planning on going down to AZ (from ohio) 2-3 times prior to the season to scout. I've already researched on GoHunt.com (those guys are awesome) and have been driving my wife crazy because all I do is scour Onxmaps.

As always, I'm not looking for anyone's favorite spots or map locations, but was wondering if any one has any tips/suggestions to make these scouting trips most effective and useful. Appreciate any and all information. Very excited to get boots on the ground! Thanks!

I live in Phoenix area, if you need any help while your here or want a second pair of eyes give a holler.

A trophy bull can happen anywhere but 4A is not known as a trophy unit. Some nice bulls come out of it but unless you got a great bull nailed down during scouting, I wouldn't be too picky. There are lots of elk in 4A and bears too but the seasons don't coincide.
20180918_090638.jpg

Great Bull. I've read a lot on the unit, spoken to the Arizona Game and Fish, and have heard similar reports. I would love to just have a great trip and take a good elk, doesn't need to be a monster. I've already booked my first scouting trip down that way, so will hopefully get familiar with the area over a few days of hiking/camping. I plan on doing 2-3 scouting trips before the season, then another scout 2-3 days prior to the season. Lucky flights from Ohio are cheap and I have an understanding wife lol

Cody, with all this winter moisture, it should be a great year to have an Arizona elk tag! I helped a non-resident archer who drew a 4A tag just a few years ago (he tagged out on a nice mature 6x6 bull). The elk are there.

On another note, you need to treat your pronghorn tag more prized than the elk tag (it's a much harder tag to draw!). The only 2 times I've drawn Arizona pronghorn tags, I also drew archery bull elk tags for hunts starting immediately following my antelope hunts. Don't worry unnecessarily about the elk hunt when you get out here in September until your antelope hunt is done --- it can complicate/divide your focus (trust me, been there done that).

When it comes to go time, give it your best effort and take one hunt at a time. Know that you're going to have 2 hunts you'll remember the rest of your life.

Feel free to get in touch ...

Last edited:
Cody, with all this winter moisture, it should be a great year to have an Arizona elk tag! I helped a non-resident archer who drew a 4A tag just a few years ago (he tagged out on a nice mature 6x6 bull). The elk are there.

On another note, you need to treat your pronghorn tag more prized than the elk tag (it's a much harder tag to draw!). The only 2 times I've drawn Arizona pronghorn tags, I also drew archery bull elk tags for hunts starting immediately following my antelope hunts. Don't worry unnecessarily about the elk hunt when you get out here in September until your antelope hunt is done --- it can complicate/divide your focus (trust me, been there done that).

When it comes to go time, give it your best effort and take one hunt at a time. Know that you're going to have 2 hunts you'll remember the rest of your life.

Feel free to get in touch ...
Thanks for the insight. I want to focus as much as I can on both hunts and put in the most effort as possible to make sure I have a great experience for both. My first scouting trip is planned for may, where I want to get a lay of the land for pronghorn and then try and head over to the elk unit to get a lay of the land there. I also plan on coming down in July and August to scout further, plus another 2-3 days immediately proceeding the season for pronghorn and another 2-3 days prior to the start of elk. Unfortunately I will do be doing this completely solo, as my friends have drawn tags in other states. But I'm so excited for the opportunity and am trying to do everything I can to prepare myself and put myself in the best position possible for the seasons. This is truly something I never expected and can't wait for an epic 2019 season!

Well, appreciate all of the help over this past year from so many people. All the scouting, time, practice and effort paid off on 2 incredible hunts. All public land and DIY. Was def a year I won’t forget.special shout out to Tom and Andrew who helped me more than I could have ever asked for. For sure made some new life long friends.38A7B653-28B2-456F-B568-92276FF5CBAD.jpegE3178D3E-29CF-4CE3-8CA9-25ABBBC5654C.jpeg9B68E00A-2AFC-495C-9E7E-6233E68BC473.jpegDCEAA950-3218-46A4-95A0-1DAFB101B378.jpeg5076075A-2F9F-4C12-A77A-3A6BD45CB60E.jpeg5D4238DC-4964-4D5E-BBA5-70508A595FDA.jpeg

Attachments

• F52E4211-E98C-418B-AAAD-661A2E655CCA.jpeg
    F52E4211-E98C-418B-AAAD-661A2E655CCA.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 7
Well done! Looks like you had a great season in AZ and made some new friends as a bonus.

Cody:

Wouldn't you know it --- I had to delay getting back up there to retrieve my tree stand and your trail camera and FS announced they're shutting down the 300 RD today. Murphy lives ...

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back