Arizona Unit 10 Late Hunt (Bull Elk)

DaleT

I just drew this tag with my best friend and we are trying to make some decisions about whether to go DIY as we intended when we put in (and have done for the past 12 years). Or hire a guide and go that route to maximize our chances at a top end bull.

I would really like to talk to someone that has been on this hunt recently to get an unbiased point of reference.

Thanks, Dale

For me, I'd rather shoot a smaller bull on a DIY hunt with good friends than a bigger one with a passel of guides holding my hand...YMMV.

I have hunted that hunt and it can be a pretty tough hunt that time of year. Game and fish always seem to have it during a full moon so the elk are not very active during the day.

If you don't want to hire a guide then make sure you put in alot of time in the feild scouting for that hunt

Buzz and ID got my tag... Damn last year Scmalts got my Lope tag [unit 10]....AZ should "hoard" its tags for AZ residents I.M.O.... Whats it coming to? I have to put in in 5 differant states and drive 800 miles?...

dale if you got some time to scout i would not hire a guide. That is one of the hardest hunts to find elk but you need good optics and a good vantage point. Dont expect anything to big, i saw 8 or 10 bulls killed by guys while i was on the hunt last year and the biggest was 310-320. We saw 3-6 bulls a day and the biggest was 330.

Guy's

Thanks a bunch for all of the replies. I got the first alert then nothing else. I have spent the last few evenings cold calling throught the back issues of the Huntin fool and talked to about 10 guys that have been on this hunt in the last three years. They all said get there a week early or go guided. Getting two weeks off this year is not going to happen this year for either me or my buddy.

Were seasoned hunters, but I don't want to piss away an opportunity like this. We found a small owner operator that specializes on this hunt and we are going to get him to guide us. This is a guy that will be in camp and I have verified his reputation through third parties instead of references.

Thanks a bunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back