Arizona javelina

mtlion

My buddy and I put in for archery jav tags and it looks like we will draw them, hunt 5082. He is in Prescott, AZ part time and doing a lot of scouting. This will be my first hunt in AZ and my first jav hunt. Anybody out there have any tips for a jav newbie? We were thinking about trying some calling anyone have any experience? What about choice of camo and broadhead? I shoot shuttle t locks and rage 2 blades...anyone have experience with expandables on javs?

I've never shot a javelina before, but I did shoot a big Russian boar a few years back. Used the Shuttle-T's on him with NO problem...blew threw his armor plated shoulder and lodged in the off shoulder...he only went 10 yards and piled-up! Good luck and look forward to hearing about the hunt.

Don't worry about camo. They are damn near blind. Shoot whatever broadhead makes you confident. Calling does work, but not all the time. Have fun! They are a blast to hunt.

Good to know thanks for the advice. I am thinking full body mount if I am successful anyone know any good taxis in Prescott area (or I guees one in MT who does good jav)? How about skinning one for a body mount anything tricky about them?

Good to know thanks for the advice. I am thinking full body mount if I am successful anyone know any good taxis in Prescott area (or I guees one in MT who does good jav)? How about skinning one for a body mount anything tricky about them?

Watch out for the scent gland on their back when you are field dressing.

They will come into a predator call, but as said before it does not always work and I have had them run directly away as often as to me. Spot and stalk works best for me. If you get into them and you miss or they spook, sometimes you can grunt and they will come running back in. If you spook them and they run off a little ways...when they are regrouping you will hear them grunting...just try your best to imitate them and they will either come into you or you can walk into them. They are a blast to hunt, you will have a ton of fun. Some areas also have archery deer open, so you can do a combo hunt.

Good Luck!

17A, 19A, and 20A are open for any antlered deer 1/1/12-1/31/12 so have fun hunting for both! As said before spot and stalk mixed in with lots of glassing is the way to go. The weather should be great when you get here. I'm guessing 50 to 60 during day and 20's at night.

At that time of year you can expect that there will be snow on the ground above 5,000 ft or so. Seeing that you're coming from Montana, I don't expect that you're coming here for the snow... Elevations from 3,000--4,000 ft should have the best weather and habitat. When it's cold, or just after a storm, glass sunny hillsides that have prickley pear cactus on them. The pears should all be gone by then, but I kid you not javelina love to eat cactus. Tough little buggers. If it's hot out, or you get bored glassing, walk the washes for sign and listen for them rooting around. They seem to spend a lot of time and do a lot of traveling in the washes. I haven't hunted them myself, but I see them when hunting quail-- which, by the way, is also open in January and is covered by your license. As far as the scent glands go, what I've been told is that they come off with the skin, and not to try to cut them out on their own. Also, be careful not to touch the meat after touching the skin-- gloves are a good idea-- they're called stink pigs for a reason. Feel free to PM me for details on the general areas where your buddy has scouted, and I'll see if there are some places I can add to his list.

At that time of year you can expect that there will be snow on the ground above 5,000 ft or so. Seeing that you're coming from Montana, I don't expect that you're coming here for the snow... Elevations from 3,000--4,000 ft should have the best weather and habitat. When it's cold, or just after a storm, glass sunny hillsides that have prickley pear cactus on them. The pears should all be gone by then, but I kid you not javelina love to eat cactus. Tough little buggers. If it's hot out, or you get bored glassing, walk the washes for sign and listen for them rooting around. They seem to spend a lot of time and do a lot of traveling in the washes. I haven't hunted them myself, but I see them when hunting quail-- which, by the way, is also open in January and is covered by your license. As far as the scent glands go, what I've been told is that they come off with the skin, and not to try to cut them out on their own. Also, be careful not to touch the meat after touching the skin-- gloves are a good idea-- they're called stink pigs for a reason. Feel free to PM me for details on the general areas where your buddy has scouted, and I'll see if there are some places I can add to his list.

Thanks Biscuit Hunter. I'll touch bases with him and let you know.

Collared Peccary are one of the funnest game to hunt with a bow. They are near sighted so pattern of camouflage is not a big concern but have a very good nose, pretty good hearing and pick up motion well.

Like Biscuit says the quail hunting is bonus. I have a sling for my bow and one for my shot gun so both can be carried.

Hope you have a great hunt.

I killed one with bow a few yrs ago there in prescott on the k4 ranch...but theres some good hunting right around it, if i rember right, walnut creek...they are dang near blind and if you spook them and they dont have your wind they may run right over the top of you! There was some good public areas around the ranch we hunted as well...any broadhead on the market will work, there little animals....

mtlion,

You will have a great time...its fun to get out of the cold and javelina are a fun hunt. I've had a tag for probably the last 10 years, but didnt apply this year.

High points and glass are your friend...along with prickly pear, acacia, fillery, and mesquite (good food sources). Also, look in thick vegetation (crucifiction thorn, etc.) and under the juniper trees when glassing...as well as rocky/cliffy areas. Just aimlessly wandering around is a pretty tough way to hunt them, IMO.

They blend in amazing well and its a good idea to glass off a tripod, they arent easy to see. Once you find them, just watch the wind and move slow, 10 yard shots and closer are common.

A few pics...some rifle, some archery:

Jav3.JPG

javelina04.JPG

011.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

IMG_0863.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG

138.JPG

Awesome pics Buzz! Thanks for sharing them. I sure hope I have some hero shots like that when I come back.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back