Caribou Gear

Arizona changing NR tag allocation process

preference point systems are good for those who get in on the ground floor, that is it. Game and Fish organizations cant survive off the ground floor pool forever....so they all have to change eventually.

While some zero point holding teenager takes the field with my tag in his pocket. I could be dead or too elderly to hunt by the time I draw with this new "system".

In the end, I guarantee every person justifying this change will share one thing in common..................they have zero or very few AZ points.

Well Zim I have 5 points and if I draw your tag I will let you come and hold my beer this year;)

I almost got a AZ lifetime resident lic. before I moved to MT in mid 70's and before points. I would have been in this mess too.
I know lots of AZ residents who can never get a cow tag and have 16+ points....and see 1st timers get 27 bull tags.
I gave up figuring points 7 yrs ago.Had them in CA,UT too to no avail. More for you folks.

I like the change, IMO, its going to draw a lot of applicants back into the game. Even a slim chance at the strip, early rut rifle tags, etc. will entice many people to apply for those units.

Those that want to apply for the "lesser" units are probably going to draw more often as a result.

All the available permits in the "best" units going to a small segment of applicants is not fair in any way...I like the rule change and it was long over-due.

I almost got a AZ lifetime resident lic. before I moved to MT in mid 70's and before points. I would have been in this mess too.
I know lots of AZ residents who can never get a cow tag and have 16+ points....and see 1st timers get 27 bull tags.
I gave up figuring points 7 yrs ago.Had them in CA,UT too to no avail. More for you folks.

I just thank god I didn't buy into Montana when they went to a point scam............I mean system. By then I was smart enough to know the vast majority of those who jumped in on that ground floor will get the same shaft. They will take your money then throw you under their bus too. Idaho will do the same some day. I'll never buy into a new point scam again.

Kudos to New Hampshire. The only state left with integrity.

Last edited:
In the end, I guarantee every person justifying this change will share one thing in common..................they have zero or very few AZ points.

Your guarantee would be hard to make. I've got double digit deer points, almost 20 sheep points, and my son has even more deer point to than I do; enough to draw a late Kaibab deer tag. Yet, when both of us entered the AZ system, we had no idea that AZ would set up a program, the bonus pass, that essentially converted the high demand hunts to a preference point system for NRs.

Even with this change, it is slanted more to the benefit of high point holders than when we, and other high point holders, started in AZ.

This change is not going to change my AZ application strategy one bit.

I just thank god I didn't buy into Montana when they went to a point scam............I mean system. By then I was smart

Yeah...smart thinking.

tomsram3.jpg

IMG_0763.JPG

Those that want to apply for the "lesser" units are probably going to draw more often as a result.

All the available permits in the "best" units going to a small segment of applicants is not fair in any way...I like the rule change and it was long over-due.
How do you figure that? Because they also look at second choice when they pull your name I doubt it will make much difference compared to like Montana where they look at only the first on the first go around. Or am I wrong how AZ is currently doing the drawing now?

How do you figure that? Because they also look at second choice when they pull your name I doubt it will make much difference compared to like Montana where they look at only the first on the first go around. Or am I wrong how AZ is currently doing the drawing now?

Lots of people only apply for the best tags and I think more will apply for them now that there is a slight chance. Maybe a strip tag first choice, Kaibab second...things like that.

Same for elk.

I know the years I really don't plan on going to AZ, rather than apply for points only, my name will be in the hat for late Kaibab, early rifle rut elk, etc.

Meaning, I wont be in the draw for any lesser units, making odds in those areas better.

Lots of people only apply for the best tags and I think more will apply for them now that there is a slight chance. Maybe a strip tag first choice, Kaibab second...things like that.

Same for elk.

I know the years I really don't plan on going to AZ, rather than apply for points only, my name will be in the hat for late Kaibab, early rifle rut elk, etc.

Meaning, I wont be in the draw for any lesser units, making odds in those areas better.

I can tell you this, it will make the odds way better for those with less than max points who know this change is coming (and I bet it is a small percentage) that want to try for harder tags this first year. The year NM went from looking at only your first choice on the first draw to looking at all your choices is the year I drew the Valle Vidal archery tag. I had not been applying for it until they made the change. After that first year the amount of applicants went way up.

Yeah...smart thinking.
][/QUOTE

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. Like you did above, and I did below. Means absolutely nothing. I crunched the numbers in Montana, and observed the lack of legislative ethics these days, and made the best decision for me. Nuff said. I have too many devalued points in too many states to buy into any more scams. After watching the behavior of state legislatures I have come to the conclusion the best strategy now is to not let my points get beyond 3-5 in most cases. Past that and you are setting yourself up to be screwed.

I do OK with the points I have, but aim to burn all of them as fast as I can until all are 5 or less. Best ROI and ONLY way to protect your investment. These days it's not a matter of IF your points will be devalued by politicians, only WHEN. This is a fact with history behind it, not an opinion.

I can and will attain my personal hunting goals without Montana. Except in the case of no tag years I may buy a leftover there. It's a good value for that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
Was going to just snag another point, but I suppose I'll throw down my 18 for Unit 1 archery. Thanks for the hot tip.

Yes it's a huge secret. Nobody knows about it. BTW your 18 points if real probably won't be enough thanks to the "change", much less unit 9.

Last edited:
I'm putting unit 1 down as my first choice this year, with the changes I may actually draw.

AZ has been good to me...3 rifle bull elk tags (2 back to back), desert sheep, a bunch of Javelina tags, and I'm taking off tomorrow for my 3rd late rifle deer tag.

I like AZ...

Yes it's a huge secret. Nobody knows about it. BTW your 18 points if real probably won't be enough thanks to the "change", much less unit 9.

Unit 1or 9? Are these good places? Heck I can't decide. If I don't draw - no big deal. Living in MT I get to hunt XXL elk every year for 10+ weeks and with 4 bull tags in my household next year I believe I'll be okay if I don't score an AZ permit. Have only made the drive to AZ twice, once they gave me a 13A Muley permit and once a 19A antelope permit. I had a fun time with those.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back