Caribou Gear Tarp

Arizona Bison Hunt

JColony

Well, the old ccard got hit for $1100 over the weekend. Considering a Javelina tag is only $25, I think its safe to assume I got drawn for Bison here in Arizona!! The amazing part, this was the first time I put in for it!!! I blame you Big Fin!!! It all started earlier in the summer when I was watching the Fresh Tracks episode of the Henry's Mt Bison hunt. I thought to myself, "Man, sure would be cool to be able to hunt Bison some day! I should start putting in down here and maybe someday I'll get drawn." Fast forward to Saturday evening, I had just gotten back from a successful Coues hunt and was laying in bed with the wife when I asked her to check the ccard for the $25 charge for a Javelina tag. To quote my wife, "What the F*** is this $1100 charge!!!!" I just started giggling!! Told her I drew an OIL Bison tag on my first time putting in! Shortly after, reality starting setting in. I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to Bison. Did a quick search on AZGFD's website and found a good resource from last years hunts and it sounds like I'll be getting some sort of info packet in the mail at some point. But, thought I'd reach out here and see if anyone has any tips or tricks for hunting these beasts down here in AZ. Thanks for any info you can share, love being part of this group of people!

Had a coworker have this tag a few years back - here's what he told me. Start practicing your long range shooting now. You will have a guide on the hunt and the guide will tell you exactly which bison to shoot - but this apparently varies with hunting location. From reading online it also appears there's an information course/class that you can (or may even be required) to take that should answer any questions you have. Take all of this info with a grain of salt, as its second hand and I have not personally hunted them before. Sounds like a blast though, and definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy your hunt my friend!!!

Edit: Removed statement about minimum distance limit - my coworker may have been telling be a tall tale there!

Last edited:
Had a coworker have this tag a few years back - here's what he told me. Start practicing your long range shooting now. You will have a guide on the hunt and the guide will tell you exactly which bison to shoot. He also said the guide wouldnt let him get closer than 500 yards for the shot. Apparently this is to discourage novice hunters from hunting them. Take all of this info with a grain of salt, as its second hand and I have not personally hunted them before. Sounds like a blast though, and definitely on my bucket list. Enjoy your hunt my friend!!!
???? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

He also said the guide wouldnt let him get closer than 500 yards for the shot.

There is no way that's true. 500 yards is way beyond the ethical hunting range of almost all hunters. Plus in order to have enough energy at that range to ethically kill a bison you would need to be shooting a huge ultra magnum, a .375 H&H would have lost more than half it's energy at that distance.

@JColony https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...ads/archive/2019-Fall-Bison-Hunter-Packet.pdf

???? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I don't know about a 500 yard shot on the bison but if you draw the House Rock Wildlife Area bison tag, Game and Fish go with you and tell you which bison to shoot. The other hunt is pretty much just trying to catch outside the Grand Canyon National Park where they know they are safe. Can be a challenging hunt just finding them outside the park.

There is no way that's true. 500 yards is way beyond the ethical hunting range of almost all hunters. Plus in order to have enough energy at that range to ethically kill a bison you would need to be shooting a huge ultra magnum, a .375 H&H would have lost more than half it's energy at that distance.

@JColony https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/...ads/archive/2019-Fall-Bison-Hunter-Packet.pdf

I don't disagree, and as I said that is second hand information so take with a grain of salt. It seems counterintuitive to me as well, as i would assume the guides would prefer an accurate and clean kill. But, this is the information that was passed to me and the reason I opted for points only for this draw. If anyone can dispute this, change my mind and I'll put in for the draw next year!

Gerald Martin and Wllm1313

I am sure bow hunters hope that is not true ( 500 yards ) lol

It is not true. you can get as close as you are capable of getting to them or wait for them to come to you, if you are patient, well hidden and lucky.

Also, these are large animals, much larger than the average hunter is accustomed to carrying out. You will be allowed to drive to your kill--but, it is not always possible to get to the downed animal., depending on the terrain. Just a heads up

Good luck, enjoy your hunt

p.s. jumped back on to let you know that at one time there was a state employee with the hunter and at one time that person would also help bring the animal out, but that is no longer true.

p.s. p.s. just sent you a pm with information on AZGFD pre hunt meeting's. For a first time Bison hunter they are worth the time to attend

Last edited:

I agree with your main point, but I took mine at 530 with a 300 win mag. If it’s good placement it can be done.

I don't know about a 500 yard shot on the bison but if you draw the House Rock Wildlife Area bison tag, Game and Fish go with you and tell you which bison to shoot. The other hunt is pretty much just trying to catch outside the Grand Canyon National Park where they know they are safe. Can be a challenging hunt just finding them outside the park.

It's the other way around, House Rock is the Grand Canyon hunt, Raymond Ranch is the one that AZGFD goes with you on

The 500 yard minimum sounds pretty fishy to me as well. I know at Raymond Ranch they have a biologist go with you, and I'd imagine that to pick the correct individual they may prefer to have the shot taken at longer range, but I'd imagine (no first or second hand knowledge) that a 100-300 yards shot would be preferable, I can't see a 500 yard shot being the recommendation

Well it appears my co-workers information has been overwhelmingly rejected by this community! Honestly, that was the only reason I was hesitant about applying for the tag, I dont want to take a shot if I'm uneasy about making a clean kill. I'm gonna dig into it a bit more, but for now I've edited my initial post to remove this. Looks like I'm putting in for the next bison draw!! Also, from AZGFD there appears to be an information class offered about this hunt specifically. Probably worth going to if you're already spending 1k on the tag.

I agree with your main point, but I took mine at 530 with a 300 win mag. If it’s good placement it can be done.

Sure, and people backflip into corbets couloir... but the ski area isn’t going to advocate that, and the vast majority of skiers shouldn’t attempt it... and for those that have the ability it sometimes doesn’t end out well.

Sure, and people backflip into corbets couloir... but the ski area isn’t going to advocate that, and the vast majority of skiers shouldn’t attempt it... and for those that have the ability it sometimes doesn’t end out well.

That shouldn’t necessarily discourage those individuals from doing it though. The G&F will only advocate for clean, ethical shots, which will vary considerably from hunter to hunter.

If you are drawn for the 12A hunt be prepared. I've checked some outfitters camps over the years on the North Kaibab while spring turkey hunting. They have taken some big critters there. It's at 9000+ ft elevation and the buffs are shot down in deep side canyons off the main plateau. I don't know what guides go for. Might be worth checking out, wife might not like the tariff though! JM

Thanks for all the info!! I've actually been neglecting work and watching the videos AZGFD put up of the 2018 Fall Meetings. But keep it coming!! I appreciate all the feedback!

If you are drawn for the 12A hunt be prepared. I've checked some outfitters camps over the years on the North Kaibab while spring turkey hunting. They have taken some big critters there. It's at 9000+ ft elevation and the buffs are shot down in deep side canyons off the main plateau. I don't know what guides go for. Might be worth checking out, wife might not like the tariff though! JM
HAHAHAHAHA!! Yeah, considering her reaction to the tag fee, I think I'll pass on that request!

Back