Caribou Gear

Arizona 7E elk

sheff

If one drew 7E late season elk hunt in Arizona, are there places to stay in town or would it be beneficial to take a tent and camp? I'm not in to driving more than about 30 minutes to hunt each way and I want to hunt where the elk are.

Sheff

Flagstaff is at the bottom of that unit and would be the closest town that you would be able to stay in. I'm not a seasoned hunter, but I used to live in Flagstaff and took my first and only elk out of unit 7 West a couple of years ago. I would prefer to camp, although Flagstaff definitely has places to stay and welcomes hunters. I'd imagine you'd be in for a bit longer than 30 minute drive depending on what part of the unit you are hunting. If you have the peaks hunt then you you'd be a little closer to flagstaff, although you'd have a mountain to climb.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Also, I got drawn this year for elk too in AZ, I think it's for a late season cow in 6b, although I may have gotten lucky with a late season bull tag

Last edited:
I'm guessing this will be a bull tag. October rifle or mid-Nov archery? I'd definitely want to be camped out in the unit --- you'll be closer to the elk, makes the experience "real," and will save you time/gas (as mentioned, staying in Flag would put you 40-60 mins from where you might want to hunt). FYI, there's an established meat processor in Flagstaff you can trust and will be happy with.

Once you get confirmation on your tag/unit, PM me > be happy to get you in touch with someone who can dial you in some ...

(I drew an archery bull tag for Sept --- hope to learn it's for 7W!)

I'm guessing this will be a bull tag. October rifle or mid-Nov archery? I'd definitely want to be camped out in the unit --- you'll be closer to the elk, makes the experience "real," and will save you time/gas (as mentioned, staying in Flag would put you 40-60 mins from where you might want to hunt). FYI, there's an established meat processor in Flagstaff you can trust and will be happy with.

Once you get confirmation on your tag/unit, PM me > be happy to get you in touch with someone who can dial you in some ...

(I drew an archery bull tag for Sept --- hope to learn it's for 7W!)

I agree better off camping as close to where your hunting as u can. Most places you find elk could be a couple hrs back into the unit due to the roads being rough, etc. Might need an ATV depending on where u hunt. Even if it's only 30 minutes from flagstaff u could spend 2hrs on a dirt road just getting back in there once u get in the unit. Not counting all the flat tires going back and forth also. Get in there and stay! That's been my experience anyway wherever I've hunted elk. They r never easy to get to!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back