Caribou Gear

Are you ready?

Calif. Hunter

Seeing what has transpired in the wake of the hurrican Katrina has gotten me motivated to be better prepared for a disaster. Imagine the chaos if an 8.0 earthquake hit Southern California with all its millions of people. (Try to refrain from joking about how the rest of the country would be better off, okay?)

We have always had lots of canned and dried food around, and lots of ammo, of course. (I shoot competitively and there is always 3 to 5 thousand .45 rounds and at least 1000 9 mms, plus a bunch of rifle ammo - besides, all it takes is one .22 LR and I can end up with a gang-banger's AK. hump )

What we have not stockpiled, really, is water. We may have a case or two of bottled water, but it may take 30 days or more to get supplies moving in if the airport and roads are not operational. So I will buy a few more cases of water and rotate them as we use them.

Are you doing anything? What disasters might occur where you live and how bad would it be?

Good point, it really seems rediculous to hold the President of the United States of America responsible for me in a disaster, assuming my mayor and governor do not take care of me. Shouldn't you have a boat? Will you slide into the ocean or what?

I've got some MREs, my camping stove stuff, a disaster here, I don't know what it would be, maybe a tornado, we've had them, they are just small areas that are at risk for a few hours. Get in the bathtub and put something like a mattess over you, if one comes direct, that's all I know.

I guess you could boil your old water, eh, keep a 5 gallon jug around, water the plants with it once a week maybe, refill it.

My wifes LDS...... We have food..... water.... and them some. Food supply, 1 years worth (OK, We're not quiet that close yet but gaining) and Water 12 gallons for each member of the Family. (60 Gallons). Tom, We swap out water once a year, LAst weekend was the day, so It's all done and we're good to go.

Jsut for an FYI, water and Food storage wouldn't have done New Orleans any good, it would have all washed away. Remember that the Benginin's always get you what you need. Even in N.O. they said people with Money were still kept care of :D

Moosie, I like your wife already and I have never met her. She sounds alot like my wife. You will never go wrong with a years supply of food storage, and with the New Orleans disaster my wife and I are really motivated to get that 1 years supply.

I don't think we have to worry about earthquakes here. We do get hurricanes once in a while. My son owns a camp (actually its more like a mountain house, cable, running water, flush toilets, air conditioning)in Pennsylvania. If they predict a major storm like Katrina, we are all headed there. My important papers are in a safe deposit box. Just grab some guns, the dog and go. Every thing else is insured and can be replaced. I am not depending on the government to protect, and feed me and mine. I can do that.

Don't know what would ever "get us" where we live up here in NorCal...maybe if the dam broke at Shasta Lake things would get a bit dicey (though it might flush the scum out of Sacramento :) ). If things locally did turn to chit though we've got a little place in the mountains an hour from here where we would survive just nicely....now that I think about it, maybe if both our local volcanoes cut loose (Shasta and Lassen) that might be the last place we'd want to be! :eek:

...o.k.....just convinced myself that we'd be screwed, I'll take the dam breaking option please hump

I dont think you could really prepare for what ahppened in NOL.
And if you did, it would have washed away.

I kNow I'm not ready for that!

Its easy for me to realize that I'm NOT ready each of the 3 times in the last 12 months we have had to gather up the stuff we REALLY want to keep or need before leaving the island. (limited to 1 truckload because of time)

I may just be READY to move off the water and build a concrete house.

The Big One is next. The radio NPR people talked about it, A terrorist attack, we got that, A hurricane in NO, we got that, #3 A San Andreas Fault earthquake through the middle of LA for 2 min. The last one was 10 sec, a 2 min one would be 1/4 trillion dollars of damage, estimated. That would be bad, those people should move too? Any chance I got, I would, if I were around that.

A year's supply, I"ve heard of that, how do you do it? Is there a web page to tell me?

Back