Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Are we haggling over the wrong things?

Probably about the time that the discussion breaks down into stupid comments designed to score "influencer" points rather than address the issue.
And what is an acceptable address of the issue other than raising the awareness that all of us should limit our consumption of resources when possible?

Seems to me that many of the potential solutions offered depend on other people bearing the burden of any restrictions.

And what is an acceptable address of the issue other than raising the awareness that all of us should limit our consumption of resources when possible?

Seems to me that many of the potential solutions offered depend on other people bearing the burden of any restrictions.
The most applicable solutions have to mitigate for the excessive takings from the Common but ALL. Never has a solution succeeded when it is focused entirely on the self. There must be some societal pressure on all

The most applicable solutions have to mitigate for the excessive takings from the Common but ALL. Never has a solution succeeded when it is focused entirely on the self. There must be some societal pressure on all

Granted, social expectations and values have a huge influence on people lifestyle choices.

I think the process of how those societal pressures are delivered is incredibly important from both the standpoint of not infringing on human rights and from fair acceptance of any limitations by all.

If we are being honest, I don’t see all that many folks who point out how too many people are going to cause the extinction of species and destruction of the planet leading by example in self-limiting their consumption of resources.

My guess is that if you compare the total consumption of energy and natural resources of “developed” countries with birth rates below replacement levels and the total consumption of energy and natural resources with “developing” countries and higher birth rates the developing countries consume less as a whole and definitely less per capita.

Granted, social expectations and values have a huge influence on people lifestyle choices.

I think the process of how those societal pressures are delivered is incredibly important from both the standpoint of not infringing on human rights and from fair acceptance of any limitations by all.

If we are being honest, I don’t see all that many folks who point out how too many people are going to cause the extinction of species and destruction of the planet leading by example in self-limiting their consumption of resources.

My guess is that if you compare the total consumption of energy and natural resources of “developed” countries with birth rates below replacement levels and the total consumption of energy and natural resources with “developing” countries and higher birth rates the developing countries consume less as a whole and definitely less per capita.
You don't have to guess, it's literally been spelled out a dozen times in this thread alone.

To your point about leading by example, that's the entire point many have tried to make. You can't ask people to voluntarily do something the inhibits them, and not also require that of his neighbor. That's exactly why the tragedy of the commons exists.

Not at all. And it wouldn't be that much of a burden. Most people aren't even trying. I mean, look out your window in the summer. How many people are watering their lawn (draining rivers or aquifers, spending energy to move water, treating water with chemicals, etc), fertilizing their lawn, mowing their lawn and then blowing the cuttings off the sidewalk, and on and on and on, for what? A monoculture piece of property that benefits no one.
Nuclear energy has been the safest source of electricity ever invented, but we can't use it because people are uninformed or not educated enough to do the math.
I could go on, but you get the point. We have very real, and sometimes easy, solutions (or at least mitigations) that we aren't even using and in many cases, the solution is to just do less (wasting anything and everything you can think of, from food, to clothes, to fuel).

You leave my yard out of this. I didn’t work all my life and sacrifice so many weekends last summer to have my green grass questioned…😏

( No pesticides were used in the making of this yard.)
When we bought our current house I tried to have the backyard fully covered with some type of sport court material. I hate lawns, lawn work, and everything related thereto. But my wife prevailed and my idea went down in flames. My pyrrhic victory is that I get to spend a bunch of money for others to take care of a lawn I would rather not have. ;)

When we bought our current house I tried to have the backyard fully covered with some type of sport court material. I hate lawns, lawn work, and everything related thereto. But my wife prevailed and my idea went down in flames. My pyrrhic victory is that I get to spend a bunch of money for others to take care of a lawn I would rather not have. ;)
I kinda wanted to take a job in New Mexico, where they basically had rocks, sand, and cactus for yards. That, as well, got vetoed quickly.

We had this conversation last night lol

Told my wife my lawn limit is about 20ft by 40ft, beyond that I'm letting it go fallow. So if we buy something with some acreage it's turning into turkey/deer habitat.

Sounds like the sausage needs more pork to make it happen!
As it currently stands, by the time this plant produces a single MW from its final 345 MW capacity, China will have built 270GW worth of new coal fired generation. If we are going to save the planet we need to pick up the pace.

As it currently stands, by the time this plant produces a single MW from its final 345 MW capacity, China will have built 270GW worth of new coal fired generation. If we are going to save the planet we need to pick up the pace.
The China Model is an attractive world model according to the smart people.

The China Model is an attractive world model according to the smart people.

Keep an open mind. I mean when have people ever allowed themselves to be lead astray by a dude from Germany?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back