Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Are there any OTC rifle mule deer states left?

Justabirdwatcher

I've taken a keen interest in hunting mule deer the past few years. I've been pulling tags off the CO leftover list, but every year I get more worried about getting a tag. What is the current (and maybe projected future) situation with OTC (rifle) tags for mule deer in the west? The only OTC mule deer tags I have found are archery in AZ. I haven't looked at the plains states like OK, NE, KS and the Dakotas because I enjoy spending my 2 weeks vacation in the high country. But I'm not opposed to chasing muleys anywhere if need be.

20 years ago I would hunt muleys in NM with OTC tags, and some of my friends from TX would come up and join me, as they could get OTC mule deer tags then too. But now everything is a draw in NM.

Thanks for the info.

California A, B and some D zones. A and B zones are blacktails.

Fowl Hunter didn't "B" sell out a few years back (probably longer than I remember) when they reduced the tag numbers? I seem to remember it going to a restricted draw the following year but not sure as I usually hunt "C" in Calif.

Kansas is draw only for nonresident. If you apply in certain units for archery or muzzle loader (note, no rifle option for nonresident mule deer I am aware of) you can also apply for a mule deer stamp, so if you successfully draw in the whitetail pool then you'll have to be successful in the mulie pool afterwards. If you're successful in both it becomes an either species/either sex tag using the weapon you applied under. If you draw in the whitetail pool and you're unsuccessful in the mulie pool you just have a whitetail tag. It's $152.50 if you are successful in the mule deer draw in addition to the $442.50 whitetail tag and $97.50 nonresident hunting license. There weren't any leftover permits this year.

Reactions: LCH
Nebraska tags go on sale next month
Just spent an hour looking over the state site, and wow. It's very difficult to understand - for me at least. I'd love to hunt public land in the sandhills area someday. It's roughly the same drive for me as the places I've hunted in Colorado.

This year? In South Dakota before April 1st, NR can purchase an archery "Any deer" tag. After the 1st, you can only buy a tag for private.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason it needs to be OTC? WY special draw you can get the same region every year. ID is maybe your best bet for a true OTC tag, although pay attention to the effects of the cut to NR quotas next year. MT combo is pretty dependable annually, but your cost also includes an elk tag that you may not be using. NE can be great to hunt annually if you pay for private ground. SD the NR’s were basically given a major handicap over R’s with the new set of rules. ND is stingy with NR tags. NV is workable if you are set on archery and willing to hunt hard.

If my goal was annual public land mulies in the same general location on a budget my picks would be CO, or maybe ID. NV if it was just archery and I didn’t mind the distant travel. If I could spring a bit more $ I’d consider WY, which might gain dependability to draw over CO, but maybe lower value of the hunt quality for the price.

I know you’re looking at trying to make a plains state work for this for drive time, but I think your pickins are a bit slim.

Any reason it needs to be OTC? WY special draw you can get the same region every year. ID is maybe your best bet for a true OTC tag, although pay attention to the effects of the cut to NR quotas next year. MT combo is pretty dependable annually, but your cost also includes an elk tag that you may not be using. NE can be great to hunt annually if you pay for private ground. SD the NR’s were basically given a major handicap over R’s with the new set of rules. ND is stingy with NR tags. NV is workable if you are set on archery and willing to hunt hard.

If my goal was annual public land mulies in the same general location on a budget my picks would be CO, or maybe ID. NV if it was just archery and I didn’t mind the distant travel. If I could spring a bit more $ I’d consider WY, which might gain dependability to draw over CO, but maybe lower value of the hunt quality for the price.

I know you’re looking at trying to make a plains state work for this for drive time, but I think your pickins are a bit slim.
Just looking at the possibility of a 2nd mule deer hunt this year, somewhere new. Plus, I loathe draws and avoid them every chance I get.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back