Are there any OTC rifle mule deer states left?

I'm not a NE resident but have deer hunted there for 10 years. Nebraska mulies are great on private land. The public gets completely hammered. There are some out there though.

I'm not a NE resident but have deer hunted there for 10 years. Nebraska mulies are great on private land. The public gets completely hammered. There are some out there though.
Kinda sounds like CO elk to me actually. First crack of a rifle on opening day and the herds are all on private land by sunset. LOL

Just spent an hour looking over the state site, and wow. It's very difficult to understand - for me at least. I'd love to hunt public land in the sandhills area someday.
I don't find it too difficult to understand if you just open up the Big game hunting guide and read that fully. Nebraska is a great state for filling up your fall hunt schedule with no need to worry about applying. You just have to know that on August 3rd when tags go on sale, this year they will sell out super fast if the buying habits of other states are any indication. I plan to buy mine the first day and not take any chances.

As far as deer goes, the public land I've hunted is in far western Nebraska and its absoltely loaded with hunters. However, there are ways to take that and use it to your advantage knowing that 99 percent of these orange holligans never walk more than 300 yards From their truck. Nebraska hunters seem lazier than the average Idaho hunter.

Last edited:
I'm just suspicious enough that when I hear residents downplay the quality of their hunting opportunities, I'm like "must be pretty good" LOL
I've taken 2 mulie bucks off public over the years. 2.5 yr old deer, nothing special. I still enjoy the challenge from time to time. It can be done but I sure would be disappointed if I drove a long ways and had the experience that I'm used to. Limited public, some is good habitat but it all gets pounded.

I don't find it too difficult to understand if you just open up the Big game hunting guide and read that fully. Nebraska is a great state for filling up your fall hunt schedule with no need to worry about applying. You just have to know that on August 3rd when tags go on sale, this year they will sell out super fast if the buying habits of other states are any indication. I plan to buy mine the first day and not take any chances.

As far as deer goes, the public land I've hunted is in far western Nebraska and its absoltely loaded with hunters. However, there are ways to take that and use it to your advantage knowing that 99 percent of these orange holligans never walk more than 300 yards From their truck. Nebraska hunters seem lazier than the average Idaho hunter.
I still can't figure out what the "statewide" deer tag is, and why it's $700+ for NR's. But whatever. Every state has their own lingo. And yes, if I can take mature bucks off a National Forest an hour from the 4th largest city in the U.S., Western NE doesn't worry me too much. Crowded to one guy is peace and quiet to the next. I wouldn't even plan to start hunting within a mile of the truck anyway. Why would I drive 16 hours to hunt within sight of the truck? :D

Interesting. That's quite a price tag for that option!
The unit specific deer tags are limited quota (rifle). The only reason a person would buy the statewide restricted buck tag (rifle) is if they wanted a buck tag for a unit that is sold out. I guess a person may want the statewide whitetail buck tag as its valid for all seasons whereas the restricted buck tag along with the unit buck quota tags are just the rifle season.

You are allowed to possess up to two tags valid for bucks in Nebraska during the whole season. Therefore, you could buy 2 unit specific rifle deer tags for the Sandhills if you wanted. All of those tags are purchased as first come, first served in the same pool as the residents starting August 3rd and this year you need to plan on and expect them all being sold out earlier than what is noted here and likely 1-2 months earlier based on how other states are going.

1594044089996.png

The unit specific deer tags are limited quota (rifle). The only reason a person would buy the statewide restricted buck tag (rifle) is if they wanted a buck tag for a unit that is sold out. I guess a person may want the statewide whitetail buck tag as its valid for all seasons whereas the restricted buck tag along with the unit buck quota tags are just the rifle season.

You are allowed to possess up to two tags valid for bucks in Nebraska during the whole season. Therefore, you could buy 2 unit specific rifle deer tags for the Sandhills if you wanted. All of those tags are purchased as first come, first served in the same pool as the residents starting August 3rd and this year you need to plan on and expect them all being sold out earlier than what is noted here and likely 1-2 months earlier based on how other states are going.

View attachment 145953
Thank you. That's very helpful.

Welcome to the... "I wonder if Nebraska is any good for mule deer club"!

Price of admission is cheap. The answer will come quickly!

Lots of people will try to steer you away. They are not wrong. Lots of people, lots of ATVs in places ATVs shouldn't be, not a lot of deer. But, some things a guy just has to see for himself.

Welcome to the... "I wonder if Nebraska is any good for mule deer club"!

Price of admission is cheap. The answer will come quickly!

Lots of people will try to steer you away. They are not wrong. Lots of people, lots of ATVs in places ATVs shouldn't be, not a lot of deer. But, some things a guy just has to see for himself.
Maybe so. However, if many more folks insist it's a waste of time, I'll start thinking otherwise. ;)

I've been known to waste time watching birds without killing a single one. So a trip through NE chasing ghost muleys won't be much different in most people's eyes. Most of my deer hunting days end up being bird watching days and I suspect if every hunter was honest, they would have to admit the same. :D

The price of finding out is a lot less than each of my first four elk tags.

Maybe so. However, if many more folks insist it's a waste of time, I'll start thinking otherwise. ;)

I've been known to waste time watching birds without killing a single one. So a trip through NE chasing ghost muleys won't be much different in most people's eyes. Most of my deer hunting days end up being bird watching days and I suspect if every hunter was honest, they would have to admit the same. :D

The price of finding out is a lot less than each of my first four elk tags.
I went two years ago, a lot of hunters and alot of people surprisingly far back. First morning I hiked back to a burn 3.5 miles and ran into 4 groups all over the burn. Ended up going another 2 miles and still saw people walking around me. Either they had a better access point or I just underestimated them. Saw a bunch of does, no bucks. Was a fun hunt and good weather. I hunted western nebraska and the terrain varies from rugged mountains to more flat, pronghorn habitat. I really enjoyed the experience but I'm not going back for mule deer that's for sure. Definitely pick up a whitetail doe tag if you end up going in case the mule deer doesn't work out.

Last edited:
Maybe so. However, if many more folks insist it's a waste of time, I'll start thinking otherwise. I mean, this is an internet hunting forum after all. ;)

I totally understand, I read all of the info and I still went too because I know what I'm doing and I can read a map etc... I shot a doe, my partner shot a forky. Another friend joined the club last year. He hunted the muzzleloader season. Put in 8 or 9 days and never saw a mule deer. He said he's not going back this year either.

If I went back, I'd avoid the named wildlife management areas, Fort Robinson state park and Soldier creek wilderness areas like the plague, beautiful properties for a hike but devoid of deer where there should be many. I'd hunt random NF and National grassland properties right along private land boundaries and hope a dumb one chases a doe off of private. I think it has changed now, but when I went you had to present your deer for registration in person and it could not be cut into more than 2 pieces. I did see a 16" 3x3 about 4 miles in to one of the wildlife management areas but, no way I was carrying that thing out of that spot just split in half!

I totally understand, I read all of the info and I still went too because I know what I'm doing and I can read a map etc... I shot a doe, my partner shot a forky. Another friend joined the club last year. He hunted the muzzleloader season. Put in 8 or 9 days and never saw a mule deer. He said he's not going back this year either.

If I went back, I'd avoid the named wildlife management areas, Fort Robinson state park and Soldier creek wilderness areas like the plague, beautiful properties for a hike but devoid of deer where there should be many. I'd hunt random NF and National grassland properties right along private land boundaries and hope a dumb one chases a doe off of private. I think it has changed now, but when I went you had to present your deer for registration in person and it could not be cut into more than 2 pieces. I did see a 16" 3x3 about 4 miles in to one of the wildlife management areas but, no way I was carrying that thing out of that spot just split in half!
I think you can quarter them now, as long as you keep the head. I can handle that.

Good advice too. Thanks.

If you get desperate you can always grab a CA A Zone tag. Tough hunts between the heat, poison oak and rattlesnakes but still a hunt
If I "just need a deer" I have local options on heavily pressured public land where, after a lot of years and a lot of work, I've somehow learned to be successful.

But I look for NR tags for more than just "a deer." I want to see some new country.

Back