Are there any HT game wardens out there?

teej89

Hey guys!

Doing a little bit of career searching, I've been working for 7yrs in the construction industry and I have my bachelors and masters in engineering but I'm just not getting what I want out of this career. It's more of a grind long and hard to make the man upstairs more money attitude which isn't appealing to me. I've always wanted to be a warden but my parents told me there's no money in it and pushed for me to do something more technical. Initially I agreed, more money seemed to be better but now I'm starting to realize that it's not it at all. I'll most likely have to reapply to school and I'll get a degree in criminology/criminal justice which won't be an issue. However, I'm currently 30 and I know the cut off is 36 so it'll be cutting it close to get a job but I think it's worth a shot, if I don't try then I'll never know.

Anywho, long story short, I'm wondering if there are any wardens on here that wouldn't mind sharing their opinion of the job and I'd love to ask some questions about your job.

I friend from high school recent became a warden. He went to college for a Criminal Justice degree. Not sure if he'd be willing to discuss or not but I know he was a city cop briefly then a deputy for the county sheriff. I think it was a pretty long road that he took but I know it can be done faster.

He complains a lot about trying to find time for his own personal fishing and hunting but overall likes what he does. He mentioned that he'd like to do trips out west (he's in Nebraska) but doesn't have the time as that's prime deer hunting so he is on duty. I won't claim to know the money but I know the wages aren't good and the hours can be very long.

I was a local police officer for a long time. It was the most fun I have ever had on a job but I had to work too much overtime to make ends meet. The weekend and graveyard shifts were really hard on my family. It would be a fun job to be out in the woods everyday but I would warn that you might want to be away from the field on your days off. Best of luck.

I friend from high school recent became a warden. He went to college for a Criminal Justice degree. Not sure if he'd be willing to discuss or not but I know he was a city cop briefly then a deputy for the county sheriff. I think it was a pretty long road that he took but I know it can be done faster.

He complains a lot about trying to find time for his own personal fishing and hunting but overall likes what he does. He mentioned that he'd like to do trips out west (he's in Nebraska) but doesn't have the time as that's prime deer hunting so he is on duty. I won't claim to know the money but I know the wages aren't good and the hours can be very long.

Thanks for the information! Time to hunt was my main concern, kids are definitely in our future and it would kill me if I couldn't get out with my kid(s) and hunt with them. Another HTer reached out to me and made it seem pretty reasonable.

The warden I know spends a lot of time in the woods. He doesn’t get to hunt for deer and elk on his own very much. If personal hunting time is a major factor in choosing profession I think there is going to be a conflict between work and PTO during hunting season.

The warden I know spends a lot of time in the woods. He doesn’t get to hunt for deer and elk on his own very much. If personal hunting time is a major factor in choosing profession I think there is going to be a conflict between work and PTO during hunting season.

Can you elaborate about what you mean on his own? And by very much do you mean more than just his typical "weekends"? Large amounts of time off during the season wouldn't bother me as much especially if I can hunt the weekends.

My cousin is married to a warden. He doesn't get to hunt much at all, and works about 100 hrs a week during hunting season. Its fun to have a beer with him to listen to him tell stories. If you like to be part of "hunting" and don't want to for yourself, be a warden. haha

I think most departments would rather see a biology degree than a criminal justice degree. Idaho says that right in their ads for open positions

One of my friends is a warden in Colorado and while he loves his job, it can also be unbelievably frustrating at times he says. Especially in a state that doesn’t allow the game department to truly do its job.

He also often states that he wishes he could hunt more but since hunting season is his busiest time of the year, he only squeezes in as much as his full schedule allows.

Man he has some great stories though (bears tearing apart fawns in cat lady’s yards etc) and the mule deer that he has to put down after being hit by cars should be mounted in the museum in Cody, Wyoming.

One of my friends is a warden in Colorado and while he loves his job, it can also be unbelievably frustrating at times he says. Especially in a state that doesn’t allow the game department to truly do its job.

He also often states that he wishes he could hunt more but since hunting season is his busiest time of the year, he only squeezes in as much as his full schedule allows.

Man he has some great stories though (bears tearing apart fawns in cat lady’s yards etc) and the mule deer that he has to put down after being hit by cars should be mounted in the museum in Cody, Wyoming.
What area does he work?

Thanks for the information! Time to hunt was my main concern, kids are definitely in our future and it would kill me if I couldn't get out with my kid(s) and hunt with them. Another HTer reached out to me and made it seem pretty reasonable.

Game Warden career will not work well with your stated priority. Hunting season is busy season for a field warden. As is opening weeks of fishing seasons. Oh, and kill a big critter or catch a lunker and whispers will follow you around town that you had inside information because of your career about what tags to apply for or where to hunt or fish. Write up a few tickets to the prominent influential families around town and your kids will get black-balled in Little League, etc. That can be tough to explain to a 10 year old why your kid is not invited to Billy's party of the century because Billy's dad breaks game rules.

Being a LEO is a great career if aligns with what you are willing to sacrifice to do well. Family time will suffer. A friend of mine is a judge and coming home after a day hearing details in a rape case or molestation of a child tends to push him away from hanging out with family that evening and to pick up a bottle. On other days, he comes home and is interactive and believes humanity is good.

Have you considered using your engineering degree to gain employment with a firm that does outdoor projects? Or creates outdoor products? Or has outdoor services such as mapping?

Game Warden career will not work well with your stated priority. Hunting season is busy season for a field warden. As is opening weeks of fishing seasons. Oh, and kill a big critter or catch a lunker and whispers will follow you around town that you had inside information because of your career about what tags to apply for or where to hunt or fish. Write up a few tickets to the prominent influential families around town and your kids will get black-balled in Little League, etc. That can be tough to explain to a 10 year old why your kid is not invited to Billy's party of the century because Billy's dad breaks game rules.

Being a LEO is a great career if aligns with what you are willing to sacrifice to do well. Family time will suffer. A friend of mine is a judge and coming home after a day hearing details in a rape case or molestation of a child tends to push him away from hanging out with family that evening and to pick up a bottle. On other days, he comes home and is interactive and believes humanity is good.

Have you considered using your engineering degree to gain employment with a firm that does outdoor projects? Or creates outdoor products? Or has outdoor services such as mapping?

I've put some thought to it and really didn't turn up anything. Really considered the Army for a bit and go in to be a combat engineer but with the S.O.'s job when I'd get deployed she'd basically be up a creek if we have kids at the time.

My specific field is structural engineering, building structures design and it's okay but the private world just isn't what I want in a career.

I've put some thought to it and really didn't turn up anything. Really considered the Army for a bit and go in to be a combat engineer but with the S.O.'s job when I'd get deployed she'd basically be up a creek if we have kids at the time.

My specific field is structural engineering, building structures design and it's okay but the private world just isn't what I want in a career.

I know a lot of fish and game's actually hire engineers for a variety of tasks. I consult for SD GFP every now and then and they have engineers on staff to do a variety of things, but in this case it was to project manage the construction of some well houses in Custer. I would image most depts. have something like this, more of an engineering manager type role. Maybe that is of some interest? It wouldn't take away from your hunting like a game warden would. PS, those guys are usually civil's which I assume your degree is in and I assume being a structural wouldn't hurt you, but I'm not certain on that.

i imagine it's a bit like a taxidermist, busiest days are the first days of the season so no openers

what about working for a fish and game department using your current engineering degree?

Is there software you use for your engineering job? Would you consider working for the company that makes that software. I was an accounting undergrad and did the big firm tour of duty for CPA then decided those were not my people so joined a major technology company providing technical support which was complex yet the sales reps tripled my earnings and those guys did not seem quite as smart or hard-working so the light bulb went off and I joined the sales team. Then left a few years later to get MBA then did some work in Business Operations segment of NBA team for a few years which was a blast but crazy hours up to 20 days in a row. When an acquaintance called me offering a sales leadership role aka back to the Dark Side then my soul was again lost to the thrill of the sales hunt and coaching up team members. Love what I do which is relationship selling (not cold-calling) and coaching which is natural for me. I test as an introvert and a touch of autism yet find the role of sales is one that is relaxing since I get to be someone else that is the life of the party. Is a bit tiring at trade shows but otherwise helps me compartmentalize my work, home and play time so each is a fresh change from the others.

You might find a role that you love without more college, without becoming LEO or being deployed with military.

I am a retired "game warden" from Arizona. My job title was Wildlife Manger and then I was promoted to Field Supervisor a few years before I retired. A degree in Wildlife Biology was required for the job. My job was a combination of law enforcement and biology. It was a great job! I got to work lots of hunts, meet some great people and even gave a few not so great people my autograph. Wildlife surveys and hunt recommendations took most of the winter and spring months. Other duties included capturing problem bears, occasionally jumping out of a helicopter to blindfold and hobble a net gunned desert sheep, post release telemetry monitoring of desert sheep and yes I had to occasionally check a fisherman. As far as hunting, I only hunted 5-6 weeks a year. We were given annual leave if we had a draw tag. In my retirement, I now own and run my own business. I sure do miss my Game and Fish truck and the fun times that I had!

I encourage Mr teej89 to seriously give a career in wildlife serious consideration.

My goal is to be a game warden in the state of Wyoming. My 8 year goal, to finish my associates in science while I'm still active duty. When I retire I will attend University of Wyoming to earn my degree in Wildlife and fisheries biology management degree. Then I will work as a access technician or whatever else until I get hired as a warden.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back