Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Are hunter numbers down?

I'd disagree. I'd say it's pretty significant. Especially when you go back to 1960 around bigger town and cities. There have been the bigger part of counties that were developed since then that were once huntable. Add to the fact that now instead of most guys hunting a family or friends forty doesn't happen near as much. Now one or two guys control access to hundreds of acres. Even the same huntable acres from 60 years ago don't equate the same way they used to. It may be a separate issue but it's far and wide the number one reason anytime someone hangs it up or hunts less which is what the thread is about.
Again, you are letting your local bias and situation significantly impact your feelings on the issue. There is serious warrant to it and how it impacts hunter numbers but the data chart provided above does not need to have "huntable acres" depicted on it as the national level because you would see a pretty near flat line

Again, you are letting your local bias and situation significantly impact your feelings on the issue. There is serious warrant to it and how it impacts hunter numbers but the data chart provided above does not need to have "huntable acres" depicted on it as the national level because you would see a pretty near flat line
Nope.

Size of the US: 3,796,742 sq mi
Alaska alone is 663,268 sq mi where I would guess that "huntable sq mi" has hardly changed.
The "desert" states like NM, Arizona, Nevada - there are for sure some sq mi that have changed due to the development and population growth but by the percentage, very little change in "huntable sq mi". That's another 346,160 sq mi.
We can also probably toss in all of the states west of the Mississippi River and claim the percentage of huntable ground is less than 1%.

Size of the US: 3,796,742 sq mi
Alaska alone is 663,268 sq mi where I would guess that "huntable sq mi" has hardly changed.
The "desert" states like NM, Arizona, Nevada - there are for sure some sq mi that have changed due to the development and population growth but by the percentage, very little change in "huntable sq mi". That's another 346,160 sq mi.
We can also probably toss in all of the states west of the Mississippi River and claim the percentage of huntable ground is less than 1%.

Huntable acreage has certainly been lost to things other than development and public land transfer. Find almost any hunter over 50 and go drive around their home town with them. They'll show you thousands of huntable acres that have been lost. I bet that's a big part of what @Nick87 is referring to.

Huntable acreage has certainly been lost to things other than development and public land transfer. Find almost any hunter over 50 and go drive around their home town with them. They'll show you thousands of huntable acres that have been lost. I bet that's a big part of what @Nick87 is referring to.
No that can't be your just using your bias and your situation aka real world experience affect that.

How many acres were accessible in 1960 vs today. Also how many acres were accessible without charge?
This is what I'm dealing with where I live in Kentucky! What was once easy access to small and large farms is now gone. Outfitters have came in and offered outrageous prices to lease land. Also wealthy out of staters have leased what's left. The farmers who also hunt only want large antlered bucks like the ones they see on tv so they keep people off because they themselves are also competing with the farm next door that is leased or run by an outfitter. Land prices themselves have gone through the roof. So now all these hunters who once had decent places to hunt have either quite, been forced to hunt public land in the same state or decide to spend their time and efforts pursuing tags out west. What we are left with is plenty of game animals but no place to hunt because we are out priced.

This is what I'm dealing with where I live in Kentucky! What was once easy access to small and large farms is now gone. Outfitters have came in and offered outrageous prices to lease land. Also wealthy out of staters have leased what's left. The farmers who also hunt only want large antlered bucks like the ones they see on tv so they keep people off because they themselves are also competing with the farm next door that is leased or run by an outfitter. Land prices themselves have gone through the roof. So now all these hunters who once had decent places to hunt have either quite, been forced to hunt public land in the same state or decide to spend their time and efforts pursuing tags out west. What we are left with is plenty of game animals but no place to hunt because we are out priced.
The "huntable acreage" has not changed though. Only who can hunt it.

Please expand on this. I can think of solar fields, creation of reservoirs. What else do you have?

There are likely millions of acres of private land across the country that were generally open to hunting 40+ years ago that are essentially closed now.

Certainly they are still habitat, and I suppose theoretically they are "huntable", but practically no access is allowed.

The "huntable acreage" has not changed though. Only who can hunt it

Yes mostly correct, there has been quite a few lost to development, more houses on the landscape and subdivisions being added. But for example what used to be a 500 acre farm being hunted by 7 or 8 people is now only being hunted by 1 or 2. So where do the other 5 or 6 go? They quit or go to public! Most the time public in another state.

small game,
Another great point. Lots of private access that was once shared by different types hunters is now used for one exclusive reason. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a small game hunter around anywhere in the state that on private with the exception of shooting squirrels behind there house on a 4 acre lot. None of the deer hunters want them messing up a chance at there "hit list buck" so they got the boot years ago. Same goes with pheasant hunters, not so much even because of access but the pheasants here are GONE. So wipe them out of the equation as well.

So wouldn't it be much better to compare acreage of habitat yearly and compare that to hunter numbers?

So wouldn't it be much better to compare acreage of habitat yearly and compare that to hunter numbers?

that would be insightful, and damning i think. lots of habitat has been lost over the years.

but the crux of the matter is something that's almost impossible to objectively quantify - a hunter losing access to private acreage because the owner decided to lease to the highest bidder isn't a loss of acreage or habitat, but it's a loss of access.

and that's really one of the primary issue here, is loss of access.

out west, it's a loss of habitat, which often also means loss of access, but out west we still have a near infinite number of places we can go hunt public.

Probably but I still don't think you will ever be able to get an accurate data. For example where I live if you own 5 acres or more you don't have to purchase a hunting license to hunt your own property. Amish never buy a hunting license but they put a hurtin on game year round because of their religion. So not sure how you would be able to capture those types of hunters numbers.

but the crux of the matter is something that's almost impossible to objectively quantify as a hunter losing access to private acreage because they decided to lease to the highest bidder isn't a loss acreage or habitat, but it's a loss of access.

and that's really one of the primary issue here, is loss of access.
I actually disagree but only a fine picky detail about this statement.

Access acreage to hunt may very well be decreasing but it is millions of acres away from being to a point where it is a hinderance. QUALITY of accessible acreage is a different story. People have it on their minds that they need to be able to shoot an animal with monster horns to have a good hunt. Its what social media is preaching. It is sort of like @BuzzH and his take on the opportunities for NR in WY. Lots of complaining about it sucking but the reality is there are boatloads of chances to pick up a doe or cow tag as a NR. There are boatloads of opportunities for anyone in IL and WI to take a weapon and find a place to hunt. Quality at those places to go are another story and they have evolved and changed and been reduced over time but I have zero sympathy to the lame duck excuse from someone around here that goes "I don't have anywhere to hunt". Boo fricken hoo, you just suck at life.

I'd disagree. I'd say it's pretty significant. Especially when you go back to 1960 around bigger town and cities. There have been the bigger part of counties that were developed since then that were once huntable. Add to the fact that now instead of most guys hunting a family or friends forty doesn't happen near as much. Now one or two guys control access to hundreds of acres. Even the same huntable acres from 60 years ago don't equate the same way they used to. It may be a separate issue but it's far and wide the number one reason anytime someone hangs it up or hunts less which is what the thread is about.
It's a multitude of factors. There were significant changes in farming practices, particularly a move to fencerow-to-fencerow farming that took a lot of habitat away. Pheasant and rabbit hunting in the midwest was great in the 70's and early 80's. Today, every farmer has to squeeze every acre and maximize output to make a living, and a landowner has to make a conscious effort to attract and retain wildlife. That all helped push people toward the leasing model.

CRP helped boost habitat, but funding declined so landowners have stopped re-enrolling for financial reasons. That would be a good place to start, but I'm not sure it would stop the leasing trend.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back