Are Deer Camps Dying?

I participated in deer camp in northern MN from age 10-22. A small group of family and friends - lots of good memories. The camp is still going now that my 2 younger cousins are old enough to hunt. I have a standing invitation but haven’t gone since 2006. Why?

-It’s a 9-hour drive, but now I can fill my freezer with deer 5 minutes from my house with my bow.
-If it’s brown it’s down party hunting, and you’re expected not to pass on deer.
-the same 40 acres hunted every year...not terribly interesting
-most of the time is spent drinking beer, preparing big meals, napping, bonfires, etc. Actual hunting is done very casually.

Overall I’ve just come to prefer a different style of hunting, which is more adaptable and mobile.

Was invited to a Northern Idaho deer camp almost 12 years ago. Tents in a clearing 60 miles from town was how it started. The original guys don't make the trek anymore but I have a couple of buddies that join me now. Now days its campers and only for a few days once a year. Deer camp is the event of the season for me and I would not miss it for anything.

Never grew up with a deer camp as anywhere we hunted was within an hour or so of town. All private land, although we had taken a camper to a couple spots when I was young(5-8). It wasn't until I was around 14 that we started hunting the mountains, and eventually were invited to a friends elk camp. He has hunted the area his whole life, and its really only accessible now on horseback. Some real fond memories hunting back in there. But like most areas, the forest has over matured causing a drop in most hunt able game. We got close to having a fire go through two years in a row, but both times they stopped them to the south, and to the east.

Deer camps sound f$cking exhausing...Maybe because I didn’t grow up with it though.

Camps maybe . Hunting ? Um no . Record number of hunting apps in most states the last few years
Perhaps in the West. However hunter numbers as a whole across the nation are in a very marked decline. Plus the average age of hunters is very high and getting higher. The baby boomers are aging out of hunting and there will be a precipitous drop as they continue aging.

The reason why I believe you are seeing more hunters in the west is that many boomers finally are having time and the wherewithal to go on those western hunts. Also there is a subset of people who are moving to the Rockies just for the hunting opportunities that they can't or don't have where they came from.. haven't had before

The only camps I participated in were my own,usually. Once in a while I'd hunt with someone else.
Went on a few group draw trips. Key word is few.
Some times I fished with others,but not in years. Usually family members.
Camped with family & friends. Had family reunions @ my cabin.

I don't know how groups get groups of hard to get tags. Any tags.

My experience is that deer camps die with grandfathers. He was the one with the strong generational relationships that brought 3-4 generations of hunters to a single camp. Without him we all do our own thing closer to home or in our own way.

I want a more backcountry experience, my great uncle wants to road hunt. My grandpa was a powerful middle man.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back