Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Are basic trail cameras legal in Montana during hunting season?

No, I read it all. The excerpt was meant to reference the OP to the Regs. Actually the first sentence describes the regulation. The rest is just drilling down.

Seems clear to you but still I say hanging a camera of any kind in your elk hunting area during elk season is "not a good idea, Yogi!"

Like I mentioned above, I use them year round during elk season and have physically walked with a game warden to my camera and given him the pics he needed. This is not some “interpretation” they are legal but as others have said the ones that transmit are not.

Like I mentioned above, I use them year round during elk season and have physically walked with a game warden to my camera and given him the pics he needed. This is not some “interpretation” they are legal but as others have said the ones that transmit are not.
Got it! They are technically legal and you and your warden friend like to have them for your use. However, be aware that there are those who don't like to see them hanging on public land where public hunts. As referenced above, some carry duct tape to obscure lens ... and others employ more proactive methods. Ergo, "not a good idea, Yogi!"

The “real time” language could get interesting as well. I have one camera that is cellular. You can configure the transmit frequency between 1-4 times per day or “on trigger”. Mine is set to once per day, so technically it’s not transmitting “real time”, but it is “capable” of it, so technically I consider it to be illegal in MT when I am hunting regardless of what I have it set to. However, if the camera did not have the ability to set it to “on trigger” transmit, and only transmitted in batches, then I’d argue that it doesn’t meet the “real time capable” designation and would be legal despite it being a cellular camera.

Above is not an attempt to debate the ethics of it. Simply trying to interpret the regulation as written.

I don't like the use of them during an open season. Thought about getting some once. Decided against it. I do carry duct tape lens covers however. mtmuley
Always appreciate your frankness. No minced words, just to the point. I mean that with all respect. I may disagree with you though always respect.

If a camera is not placed illegally, then I don’t think it’s ethical for someone to intentionally try to to disable it just because they don’t like it. I don’t like where people camp sometimes, but that doesn’t give me the right to go crap in their sleeping bag...

Always appreciate your frankness. No minced words, just to the point. I mean that with all respect. I may disagree with you though always respect.
Don't see the need to write a novel usually. Turns some members off I've found, but oh well. It's funny how some tech is ok, but other forms are frowned upon. mtmuley

If a camera is not placed illegally, then I don’t think it’s ethical for someone to intentionally try to to disable it just because they don’t like it. I don’t like where people camp sometimes, but that doesn’t give me the right to go crap in their sleeping bag...
Arguing ethics is a waste of time. mtmuley

The concept is interesting but normally during riflle season I would need 20 to 50 cameras to cover all of the places I hunt. Then after season I would have to snowshoe in to retrieve all the cameras. Then there is the cost of investment plus the loss factor of those shot and stolen. As it stands with a little skill and experience the snow tells me what was there, when it was there and which way it went and gives my guidance on how to get it. I really have a tough time seeing the value in them for elk. The cameras don't teach me patterns or aid me in killing one. I was going to kill what is offered anyway and have never been in a position to pick the biggest and best. Not once have I ever come home and said I passed up a shot cause it wasn't big enough. Guess I'm just not good at this elk hunting thing.

Got it! They are technically legal and you and your warden friend like to have them for your use. However, be aware that there are those who don't like to see them hanging on public land where public hunts. As referenced above, some carry duct tape to obscure lens ... and others employ more proactive methods. Ergo, "not a good idea, Yogi!"

Always a possibility of someone being ornery, a thief or vandal.

So do you destroy tree stands you find on public land too? That provides just as much, if not more, advantage to a hunter than a trail camera.

Actually I have seen them used more for security in the back country than game observation. They make no differance to me I'm not there long enough to care. I thought we were in the woods to hunt not carry on neighborhood pissing contests.

Always a possibility of someone being ornery, a thief or vandal.

So do you destroy tree stands you find on public land too? That provides just as much, if not more, advantage to a hunter than a trail camera.
Your flawed logic is much like the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" ... implying that you have beat her previously. I don't mess with others' tree stands, cameras, camps, or any other property of which I am "hardwired" to be respectful.

I was merely pointing out the reality that there are those much less respectful who may share your same public lands ... those lands where you may choose to hang all your plastic, shiny objects, electronics and misc hardware.

Jesus Christ, Dale.

If there's duct tape on any of my trail cameras I'm going to fart in an envelope and mail it to you.
I've never done it but wanted to. You know how much I like guys in my spot. I have a buddy with that permit this year. Can't have anybody sniffing around. mtmuley

Last edited:
Things said on this thread remind me a bit of Randy's video about a NM hunt where someone likely put a screw in his sidewall. It's near impossible to get one there by accident. That was one of the funniest stories I ever heard. What they did to Randy's tire however wasn't funny.

Jesus Christ, Dale.

If there's duct tape on any of my trail cameras I'm going to fart in an envelope and mail it to you.
This is borderline biological terrorism. Think of the poor postal workers. Who’s gonna care for their kids?

I haven’t been around much and I’m trying to figure out the boundaries of the new Hunt Talk.

So we don’t discuss if now legal game cameras are ethical but we are good to go on how to sabotage that same legally placed game camera?

I have never minded people putting trail cams out during hunting season and even do it myself. Not to try and learn anything about the animals movements but just to try and get pictures of critters. I would never even think of putting duct tape on some ones camera but I have been known to strip down neckid and walk in front of them.

I have never minded people putting trail cams out during hunting season and even do it myself. Not to try and learn anything about the animals movements but just to try and get pictures of critters. I would never even think of putting duct tape on some ones camera but I have been known to strip down neckid and walk in front of them.

No way would I let my wife see these posts or I'd be afraid she'd be puttin out trail camera's for all the wrong reasons.

Not legal to use cameras for any big game species during hunting season. You can download all the regulations at Montan FWP. Also, no scouting using drones or aircraft. No walkie-talkies.
Also no blind construction on public land before August. Has to be removeable, no screws or fasteners, cannot impede the growth of trees. I've found the folks down at fwp to be very helpful and friendly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back