Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Archery - Montana 392

Echo

Greetings fellow hunt talkers (hunt talkees?),

I must admit, I've read, monitored, and searched these forums for a number of years but have never joined until today. I figured I've gleaned enough helpful information from these threads that it's past time for me to become an active member/contributor. I'm an avid (albeit beginner) public land hunter living in Montana and really looking to put the boots in some new parts of the state. I've done a decent amount of escouting (thanks Randy and OnX) and have read up a bit in Gohunt on Montana HD 392, which had never previously been on my radar.

I'm hoping to gather some additional info from anyone with experience in this district. Needless to say, I'm not looking for your favorite honey hole, just a few pointers or answers to some questions I have. If you'd rather PM me, please do! In return, I can provide quite a few suggestions on how not to kill elk, as I'm quite effective at that particular aspect of hunting. Here are some preliminary questions:

- Would a guy expect decent results doing out and back hunts in this HD, or are backcountry camps more effective and/or necessary?
- From what I've gathered, much of this unit can be covered by glassing to locate elk, true?
- Is the hunting pressure for a September archery hunt in this district higher than normal due to Helena's proximity? To counter the pressure, would one recommend exploring the eastern side of this district opposed the western side?
- What is the expectation for predation affecting elk in this unit? Grizz? Wolves? Cam Hanes?
- Follow up on the above question: how has this predation affected the ability to employ calling tactics during a September hunt?

And, of course, if there is any great info one could provide for a question I didn't ask (but most likely should have) I'd be very receptive to such info.

Cheers and good luck during the upcoming season, may all of your arrows/bullets fly straight and true.

Lots of people in that unit any more. I grew up learning how to archery hunt there, mountains are big there.

- Would a guy expect decent results doing out and back hunts in this HD, or are backcountry camps more effective and/or necessary? Decent results as in hearing elk and seeing them sure you will.
- From what I've gathered, much of this unit can be covered by glassing to locate elk, true? Yeah you can glass the problem is getting to them down 2,000 feet and up 2,000 feet in a half mile.
- Is the hunting pressure for a September archery hunt in this district higher than normal due to Helena's proximity? To counter the pressure, would one recommend exploring the eastern side of this district opposed the western side? archery hunting is ok pressure wise you will see people, but its not as bad as rifle.
- What is the expectation for predation affecting elk in this unit? Grizz? Wolves? Cam Hanes? If you are there 10 days you will probably see a bear or two, I have heard a couple grizz in the area. wolves are not a issue.
- Follow up on the above question: how has this predation affected the ability to employ calling tactics during a September hunt? Some days calling works great some days not depending on when in the rut you get there.

I would recommend adding into some conversations on hunttalk if you want more specific answers.

I live a good shot away now mainly hunting mule deer, but that is how it was when I left a few years back.

"What is the expectation for predation affecting elk in this unit? Grizz? Wolves? Cam Hanes? "

Well... Since Cam only hunts private dude ranches now I don't think you have to worry about him. He'll be too busy taking pics for Instagram with an elk quarter or two slung over his shoulder walking the 100 feet back to the truck that is just out of the frame. :)

"What is the expectation for predation affecting elk in this unit? Grizz? Wolves? Cam Hanes? "

Well... Since Cam only hunts private dude ranches now I don't think you have to worry about him. He'll be too busy taking pics for Instagram with an elk quarter or two slung over his shoulder walking the 100 feet back to the truck that is just out of the frame. :)

You sound jealous.

You sound jealous.

LOL, not! I shoot great bulls on public land every year. Nothing to be jealous over.

Just like to bust his balls for turning into such a poser. He built his rep on being a "Backcountry Bowhunter" and still tries to play that, but only hunts private ranches with celebs now. It would be like BigFin Randy going from being the public land advocate he is, to all the sudden hunting only private property just so he could get his kill shots. He'd get called out on it! You don't get it both ways. Best to just be real!

Reactions: BRP
Its like watching Joe Rogan kill a 370+" bull at a ranch where the bull eats and sleeps next to the salt lick. The spot is so well known that the "stalking path" from the truck is beat down to the mud 3 ft wide from people (clients) sliding down the hill to get the "perfect" 75 yard shot. They could have walked up waving their arms, upwind and still killed the bull, but that wouldn't make good video would it.

Its like watching Joe Rogan kill a 370+" bull at a ranch where the bull eats and sleeps next to the salt lick. The spot is so well known that the "stalking path" from the truck is beat down to the mud 3 ft wide from people (clients) sliding down the hill to get the "perfect" 75 yard shot. They could have walked up waving their arms, upwind and still killed the bull, but that wouldn't make good video would it.

Yes superdave450!! I have the utmost respect for guys like Randy and guys like Nate Simmons who stick to their guns and hunt public land, get what they get and are advocates for all us public land hunters.

These IG celebrity hunters that are only about getting their good pics of a big bull shot from a private ranches as just douches. It's not what hunting is all about. I actually really had a lot of respect for Cam when he really was a Backcountry Bowhunter from OR like me. But... then he sold out and turned in to the lee lakosky of the west coats. :)

What surprises me is the companies that support him don't understand how their brands are getting attached to the NON "Western Hunter" image! No one has respect for these celebrity poser hunters.

Yes superdave450!! I have the utmost respect for guys like Randy and guys like Nate Simmons who stick to their guns and hunt public land, get what they get and are advocates for all us public land hunters.

These IG celebrity hunters that are only about getting their good pics of a big bull shot from a private ranches as just douches. It's not what hunting is all about. I actually really had a lot of respect for Cam when he really was a Backcountry Bowhunter from OR like me. But... then he sold out and turned in to the lee lakosky of the west coats. :)

What surprises me is the companies that support him don't understand how their brands are getting attached to the NON "Western Hunter" image! No one has respect for these celebrity poser hunters.
Again you sound jealous. As long as he's not poaching and doing it right, he's alright in my book.

Again you sound jealous. As long as he's not poaching and doing it right, he's alright in my book.

Kensley... you're cracking me up. Jealous because I am an advocate of public land hunting?

"Doing it right" being a promoter of the privatization of hunting and hunting land? Selling yourself as a hardcore "backcountry bowhunter" who is actually hunting on dude ranches and indian reservations just to get good glamour shots?

Doing it right is being an advocate of public land and access to public land. Randy is a prime example. I have a 16 year old son and I would never in a million years show/tell him that Cam is doing it right. He's only doing what is right for him self! It's called being a sell out!

If he wanted to "Do it right" he would be promoting the public land backcountry experience, which is in line with the image he tries to sell. He would be sticking to that and showing younger hunters that hard work and determination will pay dividends. Instead, he is showing that it's a lot easier to get you IG pics and youtube vids by just taking short cuts. That the result of killing a "big" bull is more important than the values as a hunter.

I could hunt any ranch I want every year. I could take my 16 year old son on one of those so he could kill a giant bull and show all his friends how cool he is. If I did that I would go home and puke in my mouth. I would rather show him what it means to work his ass off. What it really means to be a backcountry bowhunter and the rewards that go with it.

If he just owned what he truly is I would not call him out. I'm just not a fan of the kardashians of the hunting world.

Kensley... you're cracking me up. Jealous because I am an advocate of public land hunting?

"Doing it right" being a promoter of the privatization of hunting and hunting land? Selling yourself as a hardcore "backcountry bowhunter" who is actually hunting on dude ranches and indian reservations just to get good glamour shots?

Doing it right is being an advocate of public land and access to public land. Randy is a prime example. I have a 16 year old son and I would never in a million years show/tell him that Cam is doing it right. He's only doing what is right for him self! It's called being a sell out!

If he wanted to "Do it right" he would be promoting the public land backcountry experience, which is in line with the image he tries to sell. He would be sticking to that and showing younger hunters that hard work and determination will pay dividends. Instead, he is showing that it's a lot easier to get you IG pics and youtube vids by just taking short cuts. That the result of killing a "big" bull is more important than the values as a hunter.

I could hunt any ranch I want every year. I could take my 16 year old son on one of those so he could kill a giant bull and show all his friends how cool he is. If I did that I would go home and puke in my mouth. I would rather show him what it means to work his ass off. What it really means to be a backcountry bowhunter and the rewards that go with it.

If he just owned what he truly is I would not call him out. I'm just not a fan of the kardashians of the hunting world.

"kardashians of the hunting world "

That is actually really funny LOL. I can think of a few others that may fall under that flag.

I'm not against you in teaching your children what is right and what is not right. But for me personally, I'm not bashing "privileged" people online for the world to see, including your boy. It just seems like you may be setting a bad example, but that is on you. But if your gonna call him out, maybe doing that in person face to face would be an more effective means? I mean, shoot how many events is he constantly apart of? It cannot be that difficult to have a conversation with him face to face if you feel that strongly about how he entertains the world of Instagram. I cant imagine Randy really appreciates people talking like that on his forum, as this was not his intention.

Plus this thread I don't think had anything to do with Cam until you brought it up. More power to you tho sir, this is a free country.

Spent quite a few years hunting 392 and have actually harvested a couple bulls as well.

My biggest experiences were finding their morning and evening transition patterns. Helped me to be high an hour before light and wait for them to come from low to bed up high. A lot of the time I actually would cruise by Elk in the dark in the am. I’ve had a ton of luck bugling to locate and not touching it again unless it’s a challenge under 100 yards. Ive also had luck being very aggressive later in the season after the bulls have had some pressure. I feel like this is typically when people back off with how on and off the calling can be. I’m a big fan of locating, taking off in that direction until I’m almost in his living room. Then I will touch one off and wait. After he responds I usually head right to call sequence to get him to come in. Every area is different but if you need anymore tips shoot me a message and I can let you know what else has worked for me 👍🏼

We need a rule that you're not allowed to fight on the forum until you have 100 posts. Make it a flagable offense lol.

Yea sorry about that. I probably should of glossed over that one. His opinion is his. Just didnt seem relevant to the topic.

Yea sorry about that. I probably should of glossed over that one. His opinion is his. Just didnt seem relevant to the topic.
I don’t know why you’re apologizing. Someone thinks his way is better than another. But I don’t have 100 posts so what do I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back