Archery hunting hat?

Paul in Idaho

I'm looking for ideas on a hat to wear archery hunting this year. My first hunt opens August 15 so it's going to be hot. I need something that breathes, won't run into my bowstring in front, or my pack in the back, yet still shade my eyes and ears. What do you guys like?

Sounds like a lightweight boonie would be about right.

I just wear a ball cap but I don't worry about my ears. I work outside all summer so they are good and tan.

IFor your needs I'd check out the Kuiu Tiburon boonie hat, it's made for warm weather.

I just wear a military grade boonie hat, multicam.

Thanks! Sounds like a boonie is the way to go for archery. I looked at a few at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday. I'll check another store before I pull the trigger.

I have always worn a ball cap style early and a felt hat mid season. Wool hat for below zero. I am adding a camo cowboy to the mix as well. When its raining, that cowboy hat is great. Cold rain or snow, that felt gets the nod. Keeps the rain and snow off ya. Very nice when you have that light snow on branches. Dont have to worry about it falling down your back.

They used to make a short brimmed baseball style cap, last time Ive seen them anywhere is 7-8 years ago, I bought 5 of them. I wear just that hat for early season and add a skull cap for when it gets cold.

Looks like I missed seeing several replies here. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Elkoholic, thanks for pointing me toward Kuiu. I wouldn't have considered them since their gear is out of my price range, but the boonie was about the same price as what I found locally. I ordered one and it arrived just as I was headed out for the weekend. Works great! They use a much lighter fabric than the ones I looked at locally, so my head didn't feel like it was baking.

Elkoholic, thanks for pointing me toward Kuiu. I wouldn't have considered them since their gear is out of my price range, but the boonie was about the same price as what I found locally. I ordered one and it arrived just as I was headed out for the weekend. Works great! They use a much lighter fabric than the ones I looked at locally, so my head didn't feel like it was baking.

Paul - Glad you're happy with the hat choice, I just got mine in the mail last week also, very happy with it.

Back