Archery hunt with rifle back up in griz country?

Goatshoes

I have been considering an archery elk hunt in grizzly country. My usual hunting partner is not to excited about that. I'm not afraid of the bears to the point where it would keep me from enjoying a hunting trip but I want to be as smart about it as possible and know all my options.

I was recently watching a DIY archery elk hunt in griz country. I don't know which state. The hunt party included one person who was carrying a rifle and no bow, whom I presume was along on the hunt with the rifle as bear security.

So this brings me to the question.. In Wyoming or Montana can a bow hunter be accompanied by a non-hunting partner with a rifle for the sake of bear protection?

I really don't want to turn this into a whats best bear spray or gun thread. There are enough of those and I already have a firm opinion on that. I am just asking so that I'll be better informed on my options.

It is not really considered "hunting" until you pull the trigger... Was heart warming this fall to see a family headed up the mountain road (mom and 4 kids under 8 in tow, one baby in a sling) to meet a nephew that was bringing a mule deer out. She had a rifle slung over her shoulder and it was not for hunting... A mountain lion dined on pine grouse about 100-yards from where I spent that night. That said, I don't know of any MT regulation that states you can not carry a gun in the public woods at any time. Again, not hunting until you pull the trigger on an animal. My suggestion is to email the MT wildlife folks and ask them that question. You should email so you have a tracking of their response. That is what I did this past year regarding night-vision equipment. guide is ambiguous if is legal to have with you when hunting... as said "enhanced penalty for illegally taking game with nv equip" but did not say you can't have it... we wanted it to ensure no predators around when have to go out at night. i had a paper trail that said "no problem"

You might have some explaining to do with a rifle, however I believe you can carry a side arm in Wyoming while bow hunting. I'd imagine they wouldn't raise too much of a ruckus if your non hunting partner has a shotgun with slugs or buckshot instead of a rifle

If I had a shotgun to take instead of a rifle I'd take the shotgun with slugs and or mixed with buckshot everytime. But I'd make sure I had good slugs that would handle a bear.

If I had a shotgun to take instead of a rifle I'd take the shotgun with slugs and or mixed with buckshot everytime. But I'd make sure I had good slugs that would handle a bear.

That's what my fishing guide in Alaska carried. A Mossberg 500 loaded alternately with slugs and buckshot.

I have been considering an archery elk hunt in grizzly country. My usual hunting partner is not to excited about that. I'm not afraid of the bears to the point where it would keep me from enjoying a hunting trip but I want to be as smart about it as possible and know all my options

I would say that if you are asking this question, you should pick a different hunting area that will have little or no G-bears. Our western, MT, WY & ID, G-bear zones are busting at the seems as far as the population is concerned. If you are not comfortable with idea of seeing G-bear tracks, scat, marked trees and probably the bears themselves, I'd suggest picking a unit that has a less likely chance of experiencing these things.

As far as packing a rifle during the archery season? There are a pile of hunters that do not archery hunt and pack a rifle during this time of year looking for a fall black bear. Yes, most western G-bear states are open to the taking of black bears with a rifle during archery season. So the person packing a rifle on the hunting episode that you watched could of been just hoping to fill their fall black bear tag if one was spotted during the hunt! With you assuming the rifle carrier was only there to provide G-bear protection, I'd pick a non G-bear unit to hunt! I have a feeling that both you and your buddy would enjoy that hunt a whole lot more! Good Luck!

i think talking to ranchers/wildlife staff/fire staff in griz areas will give u the answer u r looking for. i have hunted for 4 different hunts for 3 weeks each from glacier to jackson hole, never a saw griz but was packing both pistol and spray.

most locals will tell what to expect and be prepared for, i would say having a long gun as backup is a wee bit over kill. randy newberg covers this issue in few of his videos, the born and raised outdoors crew on their 2018 series flat out bailed outta griz territory, which is a wee bit overkill in the opposite direction.

my first trip 2007 i was scouting on the wheeler with my partner, a local rancher stopped us asking if we had seen his cattle, after talking for a few minutes he asked me why i wasnt carrying a pistol.? i said i didnt own one. i asked why he asked? he said, "i been in these mountains for 60 yrs i dont get outta my truck without my dog and my gun." I borrowed a pistol the next day.

You'd be far from the first bowhunter to have a rifleman accompany him on a hunt in bear country.

I don't know how legal it is anymore, but seems like a reasonable course of action.

Guy

Thanks guys. All of your view points and comments are appreciated. The primary hunt I am considering is in the GYE. It looks like incredibly beautiful country and I don't want to miss out on it. So hopefully I can do it smartly.

Thanks again.

I hope you have read the Wyoming Game&Fish report on the incident that killed the local guide last archery season in GYE.My point is, if your partner is afraid and is your backup I would chose different area or partner.Everyone reacts different under stress/fear.If your partner is openly afraid your risking your life.No elk is worth dying for and especially in that manner.Things happen in a blink of an eye.Ive had close encounters with them in Alaska, but thankfully they understand what a man pointing a rifle at them means.With all I hear about the bear numbers around Yellowstone, I would be practicing with bear spray and how quick I could get it deployed.Realize you usually have only seconds to react.I would also go with a shotgun over a rifle, and practice quick off hip shots.Id rather be safe then sorry.Remember in bow season you'll be sounding like their food source.When you kill one your basically on top of their food source.So you definitely are increasing your odds of contact with one.Not sure I'd be as comfortable as you seem to be with a scared partner possibly shooting at a bear on top of me.
If I was thinking of hunting that area,I'd be talking with as many bowhunters from the area as I could before hand.Find out how they all approach hunting/camping where they are present.What things to avoid,safe but effective calling set ups,keeping a safe camp ect...Not trying to be a downer.I just hate hearing about people being mauled/killed each year.Take the risk VERY serious

That's what my fishing guide in Alaska carried. A Mossberg 500 loaded alternately with slugs and buckshot.

^^^^^ Great advice there. We took a shotgun into grizzly country last year and it provided much needed peace of mind. There were three of us and someone was always on the shotgun as lookout, with bear spray and a sidearm as needed. Don't take chances in grizz country. Most of the time you will be fine, but you must be prepared.

If you think you must, then go light weight, then even lighter. IMO more important to be heavily armed when circumstances would dictate, at camp, at kill site than packing all the time. I found myself putting my .44 deep in my day pack and after awhile just left it as when it is so buried what use is it?

Walking down the muddy trail at dawn putting your heel in his track and having those claw marks still way out in front of your boot toe will add a certain softness to your step that nothing else can accomplish. It is invigorating to be a link or so below the top of the food chain. Some take it better than others.

Probably like staring at the great white with a sling instead of the bang stick that is up topside in the boat? Some never jump out again.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back