Caribou Gear

Archery Elk

tmvikings

Putting together an archery Elk hunt for next year wondering out of these states or others would offer the best opportunity. Will be tenting it and all DIY on public land. Washington-Idaho- Utah- Colorado- Arizona.

Arizona is a tough draw if you don't have points, Washington is tough for tags and I don't know about Utah . On your list on would do Colorado first choice and Idaho second. I would start to build points for Arizona.

Just asking whats wrong with Wyoming, Montana, or even New Mexico.

From your post it sound like your talking about more then one person. I would disregard Utah and Arizona right away as even with an easy draw, if you can call any of them easy, drawing for more then one tag will make it very much less likely. I can't speak for Washington as I do t know much about the opportunitys and tags. Also I can't see driving through Idaho to hunt Washington for OTC elk.

That pretty much leaves Colorado and Idaho...just based on your location I would chose Idaho. Plenty of easy to get tags, ample public lands and most likely as slightly shorter drive.

Apply for a general tag in WY. If you don't draw, go to a state with OTC tags, like CO. General units here offer fantastic archery hunting.

It will definitely be a few years before you draw even the less desired limited entry archery tags for Utah, while I would definitely build up points for Utah I would steer clear for the general season elk hunts. Somewhere like Idaho or Colorado will most likely give you a better experience. It looks like Idaho has some awesome archery opportunity, my brother and I are looking at hunting up there for 2018, just trying to decide where.. Utah is beautiful country but the general bull units in Utah sure get frustrating and the season dates aren't the best compared to Idaho. If you are okay with taking just a spike or a cow then you can get an archery tag and go to a spike only unit (where the limited entry units are) and you will at least see a lot more. There are no limits on archery tags for residents and I'm pretty sure it's the same for non-residents.

I wouldn't even consider Washington as a NR. Oregon is a much better option, but you're driving through some very good elk country to get there.

Apply for Wyoming, and then look at a leftover MT tag, ID OTC and CO OTC as your fallbacks.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back