Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Archery Elk - SW Colorado

RJH

Did not draw here in AZ for elk and was going to head up towards Durango for an over the counter archery tag. Have not hunted this area for more than 20 years and would appreciate some guidance. I use to live in Denver and have hunted the flat tops north to WY but not down on the Colorado/NM – not looking for a monster bull just some elk and a good time. Have two weeks to spend was figuring the two weeks before the end of the season. Last time hunted in the area was 1992 outside Durango in the wilderness area at a drop camp supplied by an outfitter – that may be an option too so a recommendation there would be helpful. Does not have to be Durango proper just using that as a mid-point – just has to be over the counter. Appreciate the assistance.
RJ

Hey RJH..I've hunted that area for about 10 yrs , but mainly unit 741 for mule deer. Over the yrs we have gotten a couple of elk but that area is mainly private land. Last year my buddy and I decided to hunt unit 73 around Mancos during the 2nd rifle season. We did a lot of homework maps,phone calls etc... Since it was our 1st time hunting that area in San Juans Nat Forest. The first couple days we did alot of walking just to scout around. We finally found elk and my buddy shot a small 4x4.,I did see two bulls probably around 280 to 300 class but we could never catch up to them. We saw quite a few camps set up, but I only saw one other person in the woods. My buddy and I both want to try it during archery because we saw tons of sign rubs,wallows etc.. If u have any ? S PM me..Tom

I lived in Durango for three years from '08 - '11 and hunted elk in the Weminuche Wilderness outside Durango. There is a lot of great elk country in that area. I'd recommend getting back into the wilderness a ways to escape the crowds. Some places I would recommend are the areas north of Lemmon Res up on Endlich Mesa or the areas to the west of City Reservoir like Silver Mesa or West Silver Mesa which can be accessed by the Lime Mesa Trailhead. In my experience the elk tend to feed above timberline at night and bed back in the black timber during the day during archery season.

Thanks guys - may PM for more info. Been in Weminuche 20 years back on a drop camp hunt. Great country but we went in on horses - will be on my two legs this time. would like to find an area to set up a base camp then hike in for 5 miles or so - ideas?
Ron

Those areas I mentioned would work out well for that. You'll have company at the trailheads, most likely, but after an hour or two on the trail you'll find solitude and good elk country all around.

I will check them out on my maps in the next couple of days and drop you a note if I have any questions. May want to schedule a long weekend scouting trip before if possible. Good it is less than a days travel. Hey John thanks for the fire warning - is it burning now?

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back