PEAX Equipment

Archery Elk Hunt GMU 521 in Colorado

Wapiti23

Hey everybody, i was wondering if anyone had any information on a GMU 521 in Colorado? I'm planning a DIY hunt with some friends this fall. This will be our first trip to Colorado to hunt elk and any information on the unit would be greatly appreciated!!

Wapiti, I hunt that unit quite often. But it is huge and there are so many directions you could go. When are you planning to hunt this unit? Is there a specific area you're interested in?... because 521 can be east of hwy 133 towards Anthracite Creek and the Raggeds to Leroux Creek (almost) north of Hotchkiss.

Rich

We are planning on hunting from like the 12th of September to the 19th. I don't know anything about the unit and have tried to talk to a Biologist but he is out in the field. I guess if you could steer me in the right direction, that would be great. Maybe some general areas would be good. After that, i think i could take it from there. I don't want to hunt your secret spots you know. haha!

Wapiti,

I guess- I meant- I could help you out more if you told me an area you would like to hunt. There are elk really spread out everywhere in this unit- not a ton of elk, but they could be anywhere. They are below the Raggeds, in Dark Canyon, on the Huntsman, on the Muddy, around Electric Mtn., by Overland Res, Pilot Knob, Bar K Basin... I mean everywhere. I know a guy who hunts a mile off the road and kills at least a cow every year. There are a lot of roadless areas too.

It just depend on where and how you want to hunt.

I would say the areas that im interested in are the Huntsman, Raggeds, and Pilot Knob. What kind of bulls can one expect to see in this unit (areas). Are there some really nice elk here, by that i mean 320 range? What does the area look like as far as timber or really rocky ect. Thank you for the help, i really appreciate it!!!

Outdooraddict, i sent you a PM. I hope you get it. I too dont know what im doing on here! haha, we'll figure it out.

A group of us will be heading to 521 for archery elk Aug 27- sept 3, the party has hunted sheep mountain in the past, but a couple of us are interested in breaking away from group and hunt some new territory. What advice do you have. How is electric mountain or the west side of overland reservoir? Any other places or consistent water holes that anyone knows of? Thanks for any advice!

I wouldn't hold out for a trophy in 521. I've hunted 521 for 2 seasons now. As stated above elk are everywhere. It's a heavily hunted unit and the elk respond drastically to pressure. Trick is getting into areas that are away from roads and trails. Huntsman has elk in the early seasons. Make proper plans to get your elk out without spoilage. Archery can still be hot in the day time.

Thanks for the tip, we will have a freezer set up at base camp, and the group has already agreed to drop their hunts to quickly haul out anything harvested. We will definitely take some time to check out huntsman, any experience on the west end of the zone?

Like ishoot says, there are elk all over the unit. Sheep mountain is a great place... are you sick of the underbrush? I've hunted the West a lot. There's an outfitter on that side of the mountain so you will not be alone. LOTS of people at Overland, but there are elk there. If you go more west, you're in Leroux Creek area... and that can be super busy. The Huntsman can be good, but I don't like hunting it from the highway. I go up Clear Fork, and there is a ton of country to get lost in! It is big enough up there that I will not see you... most likely. :)

Like ishoot says, there are elk all over the unit. Sheep mountain is a great place... are you sick of the underbrush? I've hunted the West a lot. There's an outfitter on that side of the mountain so you will not be alone. LOTS of people at Overland, but there are elk there. If you go more west, you're in Leroux Creek area... and that can be super busy. The Huntsman can be good, but I don't like hunting it from the highway. I go up Clear Fork, and there is a ton of country to get lost in! It is big enough up there that I will not see you... most likely. :)

The Clear Fork is terrible elk country.....I would recommend going somewhere else...:rolleyes::D

Back