GMU 521 Archery

Appalachia

This year I decided to put in for GMU 521 in Colorado. My reasoning behind this is due to the recent changes that CPW made to the unit. I know this can be a hot topic, but I figured I could take advantage of decrease number of archery hunters. Due to this, do you think that 521 may be better unit to hunt? Either way I plan on going. Only asking because I can't find any real information and most information that is out there is from 2017 or before. Thanks for any potential insights.

This year I decided to put in for GMU 521 in Colorado. My reasoning behind this is due to the recent changes that CPW made to the unit. I know this can be a hot topic, but I figured I could take advantage of decrease number of archery hunters. Due to this, do you think that 521 may be better unit to hunt? Either way I plan on going. Only asking because I can't find any real information and most information that is out there is from 2017 or before. Thanks for any potential insights.
I seriously doubt you'll see any less hunters. If CPW followed precedent, the number of draw tags will be very similar to the number of OTC hunters. Either way, good luck and enjoy the beautiful terrain.

I’ve archery hunted some of the southwest units in Colorado from when they were OTC and once they went to draw. The highest hunter pressure I remember seeing was the first year they made it a limited entry unit. It seemed as though everyone thought it would be a great spot to hunt overnight since the change was made. In reality it was no different than ever before.
I wouldn’t plan on going into that unit with any other mindset. Treat it as though it’s still OTC with realistic expectations. Good luck.

It was obviously a popular unit during OTC, so I imagine CPW is going to capitalize on that and allow the max amount of hunters they can. It isn't like it went to a premium draw unit overnight. It is good country and holds a good amount of elk, however. It'll be a good experience either way, I'm sure.

The CO hunt planner will tell you exactly how many tags were issued, but they can only tell you roughly how many hunted that unit in previous years because it was otc. No way to know for sure if the numbers will decrease but I'd treat it no differently than any other otc year.

This unit offers great opportunities for e-bike hunters, particularly during the early season. Hunting conditions can be great during the late seasons but difficulty in finding accessible public land can be a challenge without an e-bike or tightly laced boots.

During the archery and muzzleloader seasons, which occur in September, expect to find bulls concentrated at middle to high elevations. Elk are rutting during this time of year so hearing bugling bulls during the mornings and evenings can be common. With this being said you need to use your best judgement to determine if the bugle you heard is a mature elk or a raghorn since there are so many bulls here you can't waste time chasing raghorns and spikes. Though not a lot of hunters report hunting here, the unit is very big so it is possible that a hunter, willing to get in deep, will run into a true trophy bull. After a few weeks of September the elk will feel pressured and it is your job to find a place that they will go once they are pushed out of their sanctuary or "kitchen" as the flat bill mafia describes it.

I would say that the unit has really distinct geography and it can be hunted in a whole variety of ways - from the Raggeds to Huntsman Ridge to the mesa and everything in between. Good suggestions from @ShootsManyBullets, and keep an eye out for moose up that way. It's gorgeous country, and you should have a great time!

Thank you all for the insight. I really appreciate and hopefully it proves to be a fruitful trip Also, I checked the draw and it looks like they had allocated a 1000 tags for the unit, and a good portion was left over. And I will make sure to treate it as a OTC.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back