Archery Coues Deer Success

CouesKelly

I am happy to say that my AZ OTC archery deer season has ended successfully. On my 7th day of hunting I shot this beautiful buck at 50 yards.
I spent 6 days in an area I had scouted for the past month and had trail cam photos of a nice buck that I wanted to go after. I had even found his sheds while scouting. Unfortunately as it sometimes goes, this buck disappeared from my trail cams completely. Six days of only spotting a few spikes a does, I decided he might be gone from the area or went nocturnal due to the heat. I decided to take a day to go and sit water in a different area that I had success in the previous year. With it being so hot right now and with little monsoon rains, sitting water seemed worth a shot. Right away I had groups of deer coming into the waterhole. At first it was just does, spikes and a few forks. I was excited to have so much action going on. It was worth the change in venue just to see so many deer..
I blew an attempt at a pretty decent 3x3. I was kicking myself for screwing it up. I didn't time my draw correctly and ended up spooking him. I think everything happens for a reason though and I made note of my mistake and learned from it.
About an hour later this buck very slowly and cautiously made his approach to the water. I timed my draw as he fully turned his head the other direction to check out the area. I held at full draw as he made his final approach to the water line and presented a broadside shot at 50 yards. I settled my pin, released a breath, and squeezed my release to break the arrow loose. He ducked down a little at the sound of the bow. I heard the teltale sound of the arrow hitting. I saw I hit a little high due to his duck down, but the hit was effective. He staggered a bit and since he hadn't run off, I put another one in him. It was a quick passing but unfortunately he fell into the water at the end. He was fully submerged with just my fletching sticking out above the water line!
What a mix of emotions. Relief that I had fulfilled my tag on a great buck, and the dread that now I had to go into the water to pull him out.
I stepped into the water and my boots filled with the water from the tops I was able to grab ahold of him once I was just under knee deep. He was easy to float up to the water edge and then pretty heavy as I dragged him soaking wet up the shore a few feet. I was able to clean him up a little from the mud and let him dry off a little before snapping a few photos with my phone. I was excited to use the gutless method as demonstrated by Randy. I have been using a havalon blade but with all the mud and grime on this buck's hide, my blades were dulling very quickly on all hide cuts. I think I will be upgrading to Randy's new Gerber knives after this experience. I got him quartered out, backstraps and tenderloins in game bags. I moved the carcass away from the water and out of sight so as not to deter wildlife and cattle from the water. It was a short 1 mile pack out in my soggy boots so I loaded everything up for one heavy trip to my jeep and the cooler.

Attachments

• 20200829_164723.jpg
    20200829_164723.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 20200829_164637.jpg
    20200829_164637.jpg
    478 KB · Views: 225
Good night! A hunt to remember for sure. Beautiful buck and lots of hard work and practice paid off. Thanks so much for sharing the story and pics, and congrats!

What kind of mount will you be doing?

Good night! A hunt to remember for sure. Beautiful buck and lots of hard work and practice paid off. Thanks so much for sharing the story and pics, and congrats!

What kind of mount will you be doing?
Thank you!
I'm doing a euro skull with the velvet preserved with velvelock. I did one with my buck last year and it turned out pretty decent for a DIY.

Attachments

• IMG_20190919_165734_755.jpg
    IMG_20190919_165734_755.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
Back