Arby's Venison Sandwich

It's not like some bubba is out shooting these deer and Arby's gets the meat. They're farmed animals, no different than eating a buffalo burger.
I'm for exposing people to venison, but the deer and elk farms are really bad news. The crowded conditions foster CWD and other diseases which get transferred to wild animals. The animals escape into the wild messing up the gene pool. Montana outlawed them quite a few years back.

Picking on the one restaurant that seems to be supporting hunting? Le sigh.

I agree with this most immediately. I think the answers to all the other questions can probably be answered with a little googling, an email or phone call before all the hand wringing begins based on assumptions.

We have the meats.

I read that link yesterday. I have no problem with it. People eat all kinds of things. What kind of life does your beef live, and chickens and pigs? I see Shockey in Africa cutting up meat from a Wildebeest or something that they are delivering to a local tribe and it's got dirt and flies all over it, and those people are ecstatic to get it! If it was coming to my local Arby's I would buy it.

Game farm venison and wild venison are apples and cantaloupe.

There was an elk game farm years ago near me. They sold elk to processors. Steroids and all sorts of things. Game farm elk and deer are closer to stock yard beef then wild game. If anyone wants to eat it fine by me, but don't mistake it for wild game.

This is a limited offer at a VERY limited number of restaurants ( 17 in the entire United States to be exact).

I think the concept is interesting as Arby's target market is obviously the outdoors type.

Are they selling venison that Bubba just shot last week...no. Sorry naturalists, they have to meet food safety standards far beyond that.

Anyhow, if you live in MI, PA, or elsewhere that offers the sandwich I would love to hear what you think.

I'm wondering if it will be the same gray looking stuff that arby's tries to pass off as meat?

It may turn out to be a hit. People are trying to eat more healthy meat and true or not, the perception is that venison is healthier to eat. Most people do not know the difference between wild and pen-raised venison.

When I hear "Arby's", I think of Tucumcari, curly fries, and 5 1/2 hours to my casa. I'd like to try one.

We don't call it venison in Texas...we call it deer meat.

Mmmm, Arby's is tasty. The Smokehouse Turkey sandwich is pretty solid. Of the fast food options, they're definitely the best.

My most powerful vote in this world is where my dollars go. I am not comfortable with supporting the market for captive cervids, even if they are raised on the other side of the Earth at the moment. If Arby's is successful with the sandwich, which they undoubtedly hope to be, it could easily lead to a proliferation of that market and create additional incentives for the industry domestically. Some good biologists have recognized that the captive cervidae industry is a likely vector for disease spread to wild populations for obvious reasons. Moreover, my appreciation of deer is largely based on the characteristics of the species that make it more suitable for living in the wild. To me, it is substantially different than raising cattle or other livestock in captivity. On the other hand, as for the occasional jamocha shake and curly fries, I can get down with that. I'm not trying to speak ill of Arby's as a company, and wish them continued success: just not with the furtherance of captive cervids.

My most powerful vote in this world is where my dollars go. I am not comfortable with supporting the market for captive cervids, even if they are raised on the other side of the Earth at the moment. If Arby's is successful with the sandwich, which they undoubtedly hope to be, it could easily lead to a proliferation of that market and create additional incentives for the industry domestically. Some good biologists have recognized that the captive cervidae industry is a likely vector for disease spread to wild populations for obvious reasons. Moreover, my appreciation of deer is largely based on the characteristics of the species that make it more suitable for living in the wild. To me, it is substantially different than raising cattle or other livestock in captivity. On the other hand, as for the occasional jamocha shake and curly fries, I can get down with that. I'm not trying to speak ill of Arby's as a company, and wish them continued success: just not with the furtherance of captive cervids.

So does this mean you are a vegan? Every piece meat is from a captive animal. Eggs are from captive chickens, milk and it's by-products are from captive animals.

Then, I would also hope that you are against the idiots that commercially pen raise deer just to improve semi-captive trophy herds in Texas and elsewhere.

Amazing how much airtime a one time limited offering of a sandwich gets and how much we can read into it.

So did anyone try this?

Not everyone is lucky enough to have access to this healthy meat, even if it is farmed, we get a lot of venison from New Zealand, would i eat it? Never, why would i when i can harvest my own venison.
We can sell our venison in the UK, and i am talking venison from wild deer, if anyone wants to buy venison, or even expresses an interest, i supply the first piece for free.
It's funny how many more friends you get when they know you have access to venison.
As an offshoot it just might get more people out hunting, which is always a good thing.

I wonder if they had any issues with anti's?
I had my first brush with one recently, a nasty piece of work who plastered photo's of me with dead deer all over Facebook, an anonymous person, with a made up name.

So good on Arby's is what i say for promoting venison.

Cheers

Richard

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back