APR Bison - anybody applying?

What's the feel from Montana residents? Would like to see Arizona's bison population expand. Just getting back into all this and up to speed. Going to volunteer June 8th modifying fences to help out our antelope. Starting to get involved.

I grew up around buffalo and their general disregard for barb wire fences. They are kind of rough on neighboring ranchers.

I had a project one year on the Ft Hall reservation and they had a buffalo herd for harvest. I inquired as to their experience and was told they had the first hunt with bows and arrows and ended up with a collection of really agitated pin cushions. Said it was rifle after that.

All I can say is a 2-3 year old cow is very tasty, I will order it if it is on the menu, we had buffalo nearly every day in the school lunch ( born and raised on the rez) and I have no interest in hunting one.

Are all of APR’s bison behind high fences? None have been released on the BLM grazing allotments, right?

Are all of APR’s bison behind high fences? None have been to the BLM grazing allotments, right?

This one wasn't...I don't believe they're behind any kind of high fence that I ever saw.

DSC00094.JPG

I grew up around buffalo and their general disregard for barb wire fences. They are kind of rough on neighboring ranchers.

I had a project one year on the Ft Hall reservation and they had a buffalo herd for harvest. I inquired as to their experience and was told they had the first hunt with bows and arrows and ended up with a collection of really agitated pin cushions. Said it was rifle after that.
That may be the case of the earlier bison ranches, but nowadays the bison haven't been any significant problem for neighbors. The ranches in SW Montana with even more bison than Yellowstone manage and contain the bison effectively. Any hunting is pretty structured. There are no bow hunters running around willy nilly slinging arrows at numerous bison. That's just not the case.

APR uses a pretty standard height 4 strand fence with a smooth bottom wire and one electric wire in the middle for bison.

Are all of APR’s bison behind high fences?
Not anymore than the wild free roaming elk on huge outfitted ranches. The difference is that the elk can and do cross any kind of fence, whereas the bison tend to stay within those huge vast pastures, which are a far cry from the typical "high fence" hunting "ranches".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back