applying ?

Duck-Slayer

so i'm in my late 20's and want too start applying for other states for big game, like a nevada antelope or mule deer, new mexico elk, etc..... so my question is, what is the best way I go about doing this, go with somebody like Cabela's T.A.G.S. or do it my self and ask a bunch of questions on forums? who do I talk too? would like a good how too read or something along those lines too help.... just looking too be pointed in the right direction, some of those regulations are confusing. I'm probably going too answer my own question but i'm guessing I should start calling the state's that I want hunt, there Fish and Game place's and ask them questions, thanks,
Matt

Heres what I'd recommend, start applying for every species in every state you want to hunt. Gain points for every species in every state you THINK you may ever want to hunt. I know when I started about 14 years ago doing the application thing, I didnt even put in for points for some species, figuring I'd never hunt them there. I still dont apply for points for everything, but its better, IMO, when first starting out to gain the points. I also wish I'd of applied for points for more species in some states. Dont do that, if you ever even think you want to hunt a speices in a given state, gain points now.

You can always bail later on, and typically just applying for points isnt that expensive if you're already applying for something else.

I wouldnt go with Cabelas tags or any application service. They are all known to screw up applications, and you're largely S.O.L. if they do. Even a screw up of a single bonus/preference point can have massive results down the road. I do my own and if I screw them up, I'm the one to blame.

Theres actually some pretty good data right here, you may also want to subscribe to Eastmans or Hunting fool, just so you know the deadlines, and what they recommend. Their advice is typically not horrible, but does jack up draw odds, etc. But, if you arent sure what to do, they give good enough advice that I'd not call it poor by any stretch.

I'd also plan on hunting alone when you start down this road. Its extremely tough to coordinate hunts with anyone else, and when you have years and years invested in points, your best bet is to use your points on hunts YOU want to do. Dont be compromising your hunts by worrying about others schedules and lack of commitment. Its possible to hunt with a person or two, but its tough to find people with the same amount of points, hunting styles, what areas you both want to hunt, etc. in many cases.

Plus, on tags that are hard to draw, you're typically looking for a special animal, finding ONE is tough to do, finding 2-3-4...damn near impossible.

I recommend paddling your own canoe....

Slayer,

You are at the perfect point to start putting in for points, you may think its expensive now but like Buzz said, Its not that much in the big picture esp. if you are putting in for something else in that state. The fuel will cost more than your app. fees. If you start putting in for points now you will come to a point that you have real opportunities to go on a great hunt for many years in a row.

I wish I had started putting in a long time ago, you will have plenty of time to gain more knowledge of where you really want to go and by the time you have enough points you will be ready. I also agree with Buzz to do it yourself, it helps you understand more about the process and can lead you to some good information about the different states.

You are getting a good head start.... have fun with it.

I to am getting my start at buying points on western state hunts. I agree also it is very hard to find someone to hunt with that likes to hunt the way you do.

you can download every states game regs. read them all, then ask questions.

Apply in NM, no points so it's luck of the draw.
UT has bonus points so your points will help in the random draw. You can draw with 1 point.
AZ will essentially require you to be in the max point pool for a given hunt to have any chance because of the 10% non res cap. Some of those pools are in the 5-6 range so it's not too far away.

UT and AZ will require a license purchase to gain points.

I just subscribed to Eastman's and Huntin' Fool I haven't gotten any issues of Eastman's yet, but Huntin' Fool sent me a couple of issues. I will be doing all of my applying myself as well, but this magazine helps you understand the process of applying and what is/is not required to do so. I would recommend Huntin' Fool for one year anyway. The magazines are more like books than magazines, so I can see the higher cost as compared to Eastman's. It will be interesting to see the difference in information between the two once I start getting issues from Eastman's.
I also agree with hunting alone in the sense that you are the only one with the tag. At least with my current lack of knowledge in hunting western states, I am just looking to try and get one animal when I go out there. Trying to get 2 or more would just make it more difficult. On the same topic, however, I am also putting in for points for my dad, so typically (with the hunts I have planned so far) I will plan on us trying to get one tag between the two of us, and the other just comes along. This works well for us because we don't really care who pulls the trigger, and we get the fun of being out there together.

On the same topic, however, I am also putting in for points for my dad, so typically (with the hunts I have planned so far) I will plan on us trying to get one tag between the two of us, and the other just comes along.

Thats a great strategy...concentrate on one at a time, plus you get to go a couple times for the same species/tag.

Just make sure you can actually count on the other guy...and make sure you reciprocate as well...many, many dont.

Keep it simple. If you spend a day on the computer you can figure out most of the regulations and drawing process. You mentioned two states and three species already. I would worry less about points and just start figuring out how you can get enough vacation time each fall to hunt and to hunt at the right time for each. I hunt one western state and have a hard time getting enough vacation. You do live in Idaho you know?

I'd also plan on hunting alone when you start down this road. Its extremely tough to coordinate hunts with anyone else, and when you have years and years invested in points, your best bet is to use your points on hunts YOU want to do. Dont be compromising your hunts by worrying about others schedules and lack of commitment. Its possible to hunt with a person or two, but its tough to find people with the same amount of points, hunting styles, what areas you both want to hunt, etc. in many cases.

Plus, on tags that are hard to draw, you're typically looking for a special animal, finding ONE is tough to do, finding 2-3-4...damn near impossible.

I recommend paddling your own canoe....[/QUOTE]

Solo hunter,,, for the exact reasons above,, good luck and read thu the old posts here, check the resources link above for states and draw odds ect, very informative. once you find the right link :)

Matt I apply in WY, NA, CO, Utah, and ID (home state) it costs me around 550 give or take but its easy after your 1st year. Get with Rob and stop by some time I will show you what I apply for and why.

kmf;2216794 I hunt one western state and have a hard time getting enough vacation. You do live in Idaho you know?[/QUOTE said:
I don't have a problem with the time, also yes I know I live in Idaho, and yes I put in for hunts all the time... I just want too have a chance at a huge antelope or elk, which this state isn't known for, would like too get a AZ pronghorn tag at some point in my life, along with a utah deer or elk, and maybe a elk tag in New Mexico, there are plenty of good hunts here in Idaho for big muley's so i'm not worried about those, and I've actually drawn a good tag twice in 4 years, only harvested one ok buck, than the second time I was looking for the monster and never found him close enough...:D
Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
troutflys
Back