Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Apple piles in the mountains

PaulRevere

Was out shooting the rifle and bow on a mountain road in western Montana and saw 2 separate piles of apples that had been dumped on the side of the road. One pile had a bear on it. Is this an acceptable practice? I'm not really sure what to think about it.

I highly doubt it's bait for someone intending to hunt it. If you saw the area I'm sure you would agree. I think it's just someone dumping their rotten apples. Although it's obviously attracting critters and that would be the definition of baiting?

I highly doubt it's bait for someone intending to hunt it. If you saw the area I'm sure you would agree. I think it's just someone dumping their rotten apples. Although it's obviously attracting critters and that would be the definition of baiting?
Either illegal dumping or illegal baiting. Eitherway, I'd report it.

Why make two piles if they are just trying to get rid of apples, and is this a real efficient way to get rid of apples in the first place?

I am guessing bait. They are already poor judgement in breaking the law, why would you assume they are a good enough hunter to pick a good spot?

I do not know the specifics on this incident or area, but i actually have this problem with surplus apples and do this quite regularly. I do not mind the deer my apple orchard attracts, but I don't appreciate the bears it attracts so much, I have had three at a time in there, this is right close to my house and I have two small granddaughters. Not much of a chance to tag 'em they come in mostly at night. In years with a heavy apple crop we have a hard time keeping up with all of the dropped apples and i will have to do a clean up. Besides it is good for the critters and I do not hunt the area were I leave apples, nor does anyone else.

Why make two piles if they are just trying to get rid of apples, and is this a real efficient way to get rid of apples in the first place?

I am guessing bait. They are already poor judgement in breaking the law, why would you assume they are a good enough hunter to pick a good spot?

Roadside is a dumber than dumb spot unless you want to get caught.

Either illegal dumping or illegal baiting. Eitherway, I'd report it.
This would be my thought.

Some nutters dumped three goats off a dirt road near my property. I called the county and they sent someone out to collect. FWP also responded as there had been some deer dumped in the same area recently.
Learned after a big fair was in town... They get a boost of dead critter calls. Sad.

This would be my thought.

Some nutters dumped three goats off a dirt road near my property. I called the county and they sent someone out to collect. FWP also responded as there had been some deer dumped in the same area recently.
Learned after a big fair was in town... They get a boost of dead critter calls. Sad.

Cheap disposal I suppose, but in reality no different than if it was killed by a vehicle. IIRC in Wisconsin the cost to pick them up was getting prohibitive so they usually just drag them off the road for the scavengers to clean up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back