Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anyone Want to Talk About Lonesome Dove (Book)?

I have it on my stack of books to get through this year. Currently wrapping up Boone.

Definitely one of my favorites. I've read it a couple of times and it's my go to audio book if I'm having trouble sleeping. The conversations throughout the book don't seem to get old. I was in college when I saw the movie and loved Call. After reading it a couple of times and getting older myself It's interesting how that has changed.

Last edited:
Definitely one of my favorites. I've read it a couple of times and it's my go to audio book if I'm having trouble sleeping. The conversations throughout the book don't seem to get old. I was in college when I saw the movie and love Call. After reading it a couple of times and getting older myself It's interesting how that has changed.
Call was an interesting character. This is part of McMurty's genius. Call was at first cast as the hero, but wasn't he really the villain? We could debate this, but I am hesitant to list my evidence as to why as it would be a spoiler for those who haven't finished it.

However, I'm reminded of my favorite quote from Legends of the Fall:
"I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. It was those who loved him most who died young. He was the rock they broke themselves against."

The same could be said of Call.

Call was an interesting character. This is part of McMurty's genius. Call was at first cast as the hero, but wasn't he really the villain? We could debate this, but I am hesitant to list my evidence as to why as it would be a spoiler for those who haven't finished it.

"I thought Tristan would never live to be an old man. I was wrong about that. I was wrong about many things. It was those who loved him most who died young. He was the rock they broke themselves against."

Great comparison. I hadn't thought of those two characters being so similar but I see it now. When I was young I was all about getting things done and I don't remember acknowledging the downside of Call to myself. He was just the hero.

Call didn’t seem as certain of his own legend as others did. DA54C1C8-34AD-40F6-9194-EE7BF68B1D95.jpeg

It's been 30+ yrs since I read the book, but I recall that I really liked it, and that I was surprised that I liked it. I believe it was the dialog that I liked most. Maybe I should read it again.

One thing is certain, he passed his wordsmithing chops along to his son, James.

I think Lonesome Dove epitomizes a St. Teresa Quote I heard last Sunday (without meaning to) " I felt that I would have laid down a thousand lives to save a single one of all the souls that were being lost there."

Think of all the people who died along that journey to Montana, and who benefitted...
NEWT was the one whose Soul was Saved. HAd he stayed in Lonesome Dove, he would have become shiftless , a drunk, an outlaw..who knows...But he now had something to build and create...

One could also argue Call's "soul" was saved through service to his friend Gus. But really he had just outlived his time.

Point for discussion:

To me Call is the epitome of the Code of the West.

CODE OF THE WEST

1) Live each day with courage.

2) Take pride in your work.

3) Always finish what you start.

4) Do what has to be done.

5) Be tough, but fair.

6) When you make a promise, keep it.

7) Ride for the brand.

8) Talk less and say more.

9) Remember that some things aren't for sale.

10) Know where to draw the line.

I think Lonesome Dove epitomizes a St. Teresa Quote I heard last Sunday (without meaning to) " I felt that I would have laid down a thousand lives to save a single one of all the souls that were being lost there."

Think of all the people who died along that journey to Montana, and who benefitted...
NEWT was the one whose Soul was Saved. HAd he stayed in Lonesome Dove, he would have become shiftless , a drunk, an outlaw..who knows...But he now had something to build and create...

One could also argue Call's "soul" was saved through service to his friend Gus. But really he had just outlived his time.

Point for discussion:

To me Call is the epitome of the Code of the West.

CODE OF THE WEST

1) Live each day with courage.

2) Take pride in your work.

3) Always finish what you start.

4) Do what has to be done.

5) Be tough, but fair.

6) When you make a promise, keep it.

7) Ride for the brand.

8) Talk less and say more.

9) Remember that some things aren't for sale.

10) Know where to draw the line.
Sure but he lived by the code to a fault and failed miserably as a father, which I would argue trumps all his good deeds.

Sure but he lived by the code to a fault and failed miserably as a father, which I would argue trumps all his good deeds.
But Newt was "raised by a village" better than just looking to one man for his role model....And yes TO A FAULT is a very good term.

But Newt was "raised by a village" better than just looking to one man for his role model....And yes TO A FAULT is a very good term.
better? Not knowing who is dad was, then knowing and his Dad not even acknowledging his existence as a son... you can't convince me any of that is better in any way, shape, or form.

When I read the book I basically hated Call and everything he claimed to stand for.

Looking forward to reading this. I should have done it a long time ago. I remember watching the mini series when it came out initially. Loved it then and still do

I don't think sacrificing ideals during character development a detriment to the story...the fact that we are steered to dislike a character is a device the author has used to steer us. Yes, Call had a major flaw, yet many offsetting values. He was by far my favorite.

The "flawed character" is a classic device in literature. You seldom see a main character who is perfect except in pulp novels. Unforgiven is another good example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back