Yeti GOBOX Collection

Anyone hunting SW CO Archery Elk?

RK4

Morning, first post here...Im from South Louisiana, 38. USMC Vet, Married with 4 kids. This will be my first year hunting out west, have been hunting whitetail, hogs, turkey all my life. I plan to hunt out west every year from here until the end of days. I only bowhunt. I dont mind hunting solo, but looking for people who might be in the area to team up. Even if in a neighboring unit, we could still help eachother if a packout is needed, etc.

I also have tags in SE Idaho that I may have to eat depending on time away from work.

Let me know if youll be in SW Co, even if its just for a contact who will be in the area.

Last edited:
I live on a ranch in Durango, have hunted that area and the ajacent 74 alot, check in before the season and get a weather/scouting report. Try to get here a day or two early to adjust as most of your hunting will be at 8-9,000 feet.

Reactions: RK4
I live on a ranch in Durango, have hunted that area and the ajacent 74 alot, check in before the season and get a weather/scouting report. Try to get here a day or two early to adjust as most of your hunting will be at 8-9,000 feet.

Gotcha. I have a few spots picked out at 'lower' elevations to give me some time to adjust for a few days before moving more North. I'm 65 feet above sea level right now, standing on the 2nd floor of a building - whatever the elevation in CO, it will pretty much be the difference from where I am now. Appreciate the tip.

I'm not in S.w. Colorado. I do have a horse ranch in Southcentral Colorado, and surrounded on 3 sides by the 1.88 million acre Rio Grande National Forest if that is of interest?

Reactions: RK4
Welcome.
We will be hunting our normal spot in 78 in September for 2 weeks

I'm not in S.w. Colorado. I do have a horse ranch in Southcentral Colorado, and surrounded on 3 sides by the 1.88 million acre Rio Grande National Forest if that is of interest?

That is about as interesting as it gets! Wish I had that opportunity. I was supposed to be doing a 2 week vacation with the family this year, which got canceled due to this pandemic so my planning was rushed as I thought Id have to wait till next year to hunt elk. Must be somehwere next to heavenly with a horse ranch and 2 million public land acres next door.

It's pretty okay. The Elk are about 5-6 miles away during the Summer & Fall, but I live in their Wintering grounds so often see them right out the living room windows till the grass and weather lets them move back up in the mountains. So, I find a lot of sheds out on horseback nearby.

I will be in SW colorado for the 2nd rifle hunt. I’m also from Louisiana. If you want, PM me if your plans change and you go later.

Back