Anyone hunting SW CO Archery Elk?

RK4

Morning, first post here...Im from South Louisiana, 38. USMC Vet, Married with 4 kids. This will be my first year hunting out west, have been hunting whitetail, hogs, turkey all my life. I plan to hunt out west every year from here until the end of days. I only bowhunt. I dont mind hunting solo, but looking for people who might be in the area to team up. Even if in a neighboring unit, we could still help eachother if a packout is needed, etc.

I also have tags in SE Idaho that I may have to eat depending on time away from work.

Let me know if youll be in SW Co, even if its just for a contact who will be in the area.

Last edited:
I live on a ranch in Durango, have hunted that area and the ajacent 74 alot, check in before the season and get a weather/scouting report. Try to get here a day or two early to adjust as most of your hunting will be at 8-9,000 feet.

Reactions: RK4
I live on a ranch in Durango, have hunted that area and the ajacent 74 alot, check in before the season and get a weather/scouting report. Try to get here a day or two early to adjust as most of your hunting will be at 8-9,000 feet.

Gotcha. I have a few spots picked out at 'lower' elevations to give me some time to adjust for a few days before moving more North. I'm 65 feet above sea level right now, standing on the 2nd floor of a building - whatever the elevation in CO, it will pretty much be the difference from where I am now. Appreciate the tip.

I'm not in S.w. Colorado. I do have a horse ranch in Southcentral Colorado, and surrounded on 3 sides by the 1.88 million acre Rio Grande National Forest if that is of interest?

Reactions: RK4
Welcome.
We will be hunting our normal spot in 78 in September for 2 weeks

I'm not in S.w. Colorado. I do have a horse ranch in Southcentral Colorado, and surrounded on 3 sides by the 1.88 million acre Rio Grande National Forest if that is of interest?

That is about as interesting as it gets! Wish I had that opportunity. I was supposed to be doing a 2 week vacation with the family this year, which got canceled due to this pandemic so my planning was rushed as I thought Id have to wait till next year to hunt elk. Must be somehwere next to heavenly with a horse ranch and 2 million public land acres next door.

It's pretty okay. The Elk are about 5-6 miles away during the Summer & Fall, but I live in their Wintering grounds so often see them right out the living room windows till the grass and weather lets them move back up in the mountains. So, I find a lot of sheds out on horseback nearby.

I will be in SW colorado for the 2nd rifle hunt. I’m also from Louisiana. If you want, PM me if your plans change and you go later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back