Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone hunt with 6.5 PRC?

Definitely agree with brockel.
The 6.5 PRC is extremely similar in performance to the 6.5-06, 6.5x284, and comes really close to the .264 win mag too.
It actually has more down range energy than the .270 win. with less recoil.

Schaaf has a Mauser m18 in 6.5 PRC for sale here in the classified section. Seems priced Right if someone is interested.

How would the PRC hold up to a 270 win as far as using it on antelope deer and every now and then an elk? Here is what I'm getting at. I am paralyzed from the neck down and hunt out of a wheelchair and the shooting rig I use for sure has a lot of barrel whip just really shakes the shit out of me. I can handle it with no problem and am accurate but was just curious of the different caliber's available.

A bit off PRC topic but I recently purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmore. It comes with a muzzle break but I've never used it. Don't need to. This gun has very little recoil with 140+/- gr bullets. I'm not sure if it is the rifle, the cartridge or the recoil pad, but I switched out from a 7mm-08 in a similarly weighted rifle and bullet weight, and it is uncanny the difference in recoil. Not that either are much but it is more similar to my .223 than my 7mm-08. I killed a nice bull elk last week with it and he only went 20 yards.

A bit off PRC topic but I recently purchased a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 Creedmore. It comes with a muzzle break but I've never used it. Don't need to. This gun has very little recoil with 140+/- gr bullets. I'm not sure if it is the rifle, the cartridge or the recoil pad, but I switched out from a 7mm-08 in a similarly weighted rifle and bullet weight, and it is uncanny the difference in recoil. Not that either are much but it is more similar to my .223 than my 7mm-08. I killed a nice bull elk last week with it and he only went 20 yards.
If you read some of the other posts here I don't think you would be concerned about "off topic".
And the lower recoil is certainly one of the great points of the Creedmor. The PRC isn't much more. But rifle weight, barrel length, affect felt recoil quite a bit.
I am certainly a never to be without my magnum, kind of guy. Especially for longer shooting and bigger than deer game. I shoot my .300 win mag often and well. But something as capable as the 6.5 PRC, in a light weight rifle will be another good tool in my arsonil.
Great bullet selection, affordable brass, and great all around performance out of many off the shelf rifles.
I like all my rifles and have a use for each.
I will have a use for one more I believe.

Definitely agree with brockel.
The 6.5 PRC is extremely similar in performance to the 6.5-06, 6.5x284, and comes really close to the .264 win mag too.
It actually has more down range energy than the .270 win. with less recoil.

That pretty much answers my question. Now which ones to look at?

Last edited:
As far as the 6.5 calibers go it is In my opinion the best of the 26’s. I’m basing this off the 2 other 6.5 cartridges that I use for hunting. What’s not to like. It is extremely accurate and give you the velocity needed to get to the target fast and efficiently. And really that velocity at the end of the road goes into hydrostatic shock that helps put down the animal. I had the opportunity to take mine bear hunting this spring and it was perfect. I’ve been a big 30 cal guy my whole life but got rid of my 300 win in favor of the 6.5 prc. You won’t regret getting one. ECCE45F2-3144-4712-9820-7F2417F91668.jpeg

I disagree, X diameter bullet going X fps isnt the "new modern technology". But a factory cartridge with a long throat able to seat high bc bullets without protruding into the powder space definitely wasnt offered in the 50s and 60s lol
I heard when elk and deer find out There’s A hunter nearby with a 65 PRC they literally give up and sacrifice them selves because they know they would never have a chance.

Nothing wrong with it. Dang close to a 6.5-284 Norma or 6.5-06.

I didn't know weatherby ever offered fast trist barrels specifically for heavy for caliber bullets. Its been pretty rare to find those Wildcats in factory rifles, 6.5 prc not so much.
The only wildcat listed is the 6.5-06. And actually i think A-Square may have SAAMI approved that as a standard cartridge.

Right you are, Dan O!
I also see John Barsness mentions his E.R. Shaw MKVII.
3" at 600 yards is nothing to sneeze at in a hunting rifle!

I realize a lot of the caliber banter here is tongue-in-cheek, and that's all well in good. That being said, the caliber gate-keeping I see on this thread (and others) is really confusing to me. Personally, I support everyone in increasing their inventory, exploring new options, and thus spending more time on the range.

Anywho, OP you will love 6.5 PRC. The BC advantages will be noticeable if you like to reach out and touch long distances at the range (also therefore increasing your effective hunting range). You can shoot these rounds all day with the lack of recoil, and a lot of really nice custom rifle options out there with short barrels, without sacrificing MOA.

Always good to hold true to what has worked for you over the years, especially when it comes to harvesting game. But it's also important to recognize advantages of new technology. In fact, the best long-range shooters in the world are switching to 6.5 CM as we speak, and this was after a ridiculous amount of testing.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back