Anyone hunt with 6.5 PRC?

Wildcard12

Does anyone have any experience they may have hunting with the 6.5 PRC? I'm thinking about getting a rifle chambered for it, and just wanted to get an idea what people think of it. On paper it sounds great.

A 6.5mm bullet going abcd fps doesn't care what case got it to that speed. Why would you expect it to be any better [or worse] than a .264 Win mag or a 6.5-06 or a 6.5-.284? I'm guessing it will do just fine.

I find it funny that 6.5 bullet going 3000 fps is "new modern technology". Hornady definitely knows how play the market. The 270 win and 264 wm have been doing what the 6.5 prc does for decades. It will kill.

It's not just the speed and size of the bullet that are enticing. The BC on the 6.5 is superior to completable .270 bullets, with the exception of some uncommon 170 grain projectiles in existence.

It's not just the speed and size of the bullet that are enticing. The BC on the 6.5 is superior to completable .270 bullets, with the exception of some uncommon 170 grain projectiles in existence.

Which is mostly irrelevant except for the folks shooting over 5-600 yards. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 6.5 PRC, and under certain circumstances it is likely “better” than a .270. It certainly isn’t doing anything the .264 Winny has been doing for many years, but then again it offers the ability to use a shorter action on the rifle.

Buy what you want and don’t overthink. It sure as he’ll doesn’t really matter all that much in big picture ability to kill stuff.

Say you’re shooting the ELDX Bullet out of both a 6.5 PRC and the 270. Let’s assume a muzzle velocity of both rounds at 2975 ft./s. At 600 yards the 270 has 65 inches of drop. The 6.5 drops 63 inches. Muzzle energy of the 270 is 1600 foot pounds. The 6has 1700.

Is it better? Yeah it is. Does it matter? Not one friggin bit.

If you wanna waste your money on Hornady’s newest flavor of koolaid, be my guest.

I’ll spend my money on tags and stay with tried-and-true.

Say you’re shooting the ELDX Bullet out of both a 6.5 PRC and the 270. Let’s assume a muzzle velocity of both rounds at 2975 ft./s. At 600 yards the 270 has 65 inches of drop. The 6.5 drops 63 inches. Muzzle energy of the 270 is 1600 foot pounds. The 6has 1700.

Is it better? Yeah it is.

well, there you said it. Is there a huge difference? Not really. But it will make a difference. And with the BC advantage also going to the 6.5, that means it will also handle wind better. That doesn't matter much inside of 500 or so yards, but I plan on shooting it a lot further than that at steel.

I just asked if anyone wanted to share their experience hunting with the round. I didn't realize people would get so worked up about it.

It's a great round. Have only killed antelope and whitetail with it as far as big game. I have a buddy who packed one on our elk hunt this fall but unfortunately he wasn't able to test it on a bull.

As mentioned it bucks the wind very well.

If you like the 6.5x284, you'll like the 6.5PRC. Essentially it is the same round, the difference being is it standardized, where the 6.5x284 isn't. Apparently there are difference in chamber dimensions depending on what reamer is used for the 6.5x284, Norma has their dimensions and other manufacturers have their own as well and they're not interchangeable. Will it be a viable hunting cartridge, yes it will, just make sure to use good bullets.

Be ready to pay dearly for ammo and if you reload, brass. You are not going to have good barrel life, if you do lots of shooting. It is a great hunting cartridge, but like some have said, all it can do is what has already been done.

Personally, if I wanted to spice up my 6.5s a bit, I would go with the 6.5-06. It is plenty speedy and there is tons of cheap brass available. If you don't reload, then it is not a good option.

As to the original question, yes, it would be a great hunting cartridge, along with tens of others. I would be tempted to use a 127 LRX for everything, taking advantage of the velocity.

There are other 6.5 cartridges around that will do what the 6.5 PRC could and have been doing it for a long time. If you believe that a certain 6.5mm bullet is better than or superior to anything similar from the .270 choices then as I said it doesn't matter which cartridge got it there. The 6.5-06 may well be the most cost efficient way to Git R Did!

My son hunts with a 6.5 PRC and from what I've seen it's an excellent option. Factory ammo is limited, I suspect that will improve, but not to the number of choices the 6.5 Creedmoor has expanded to. My son reloads and so factory ammo was a non-issue. Hornady seems to have a good track record of supporting cartridges that they become involved with, so IMO the 6.5 PRC is a safe bet for the long-haul.

If you like the 6.5x284, you'll like the 6.5PRC. Essentially it is the same round, the difference being is it standardized, where the 6.5x284 isn't. Apparently there are difference in chamber dimensions depending on what reamer is used for the 6.5x284, Norma has their dimensions and other manufacturers have their own as well and they're not interchangeable. Will it be a viable hunting cartridge, yes it will, just make sure to use good bullets.

What is the bolt face diameter of and parent case for the PRC? Seems like the 6.5 caliber is hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut so Hornady is just cashing in on the craze. Why don't they legitimize the 6.5-06 while they are at it or even the 6.5-.280AI?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back