Anyone hunt with 6.5 PRC?

Please expound on how it burns powder more efficiently, I am genuinely curious.
Creedmor water case capacity is 52.5gr. and pushes a 140gr bullet around 2700 with a near max charge of IMR 4831.
6.5 PRC water case capacity is 62gr. and pushes a 140gr bullet near or just at 3,000fps with 51gr. IMR 4831.
Both out of a 24" barrel. The Creedmor has around 15# of felt recoil. The PRC has around 17# of felt recoil.
All being equal as possible, that is a 270-280fps+ gain to the PRC.
Someone else can do the exact percentage gain numbers.
But it's pretty fricken good.
Obviously the IMR 4831 isn't the best powder choice for either cartridge, but it gives the best uniform base line for comparison of these two cartridges, I think.
There are certainly faster 6.5 cartridges for sure. But if the fastest is the best , and that's what a guy thinks matters, then they should look to the big 6.5s like the 6.5-300.
This cartridge equals or comes very close to several already proven cartridges like the 6.5x284.
But it's the available ammo , components, and most importantly the factory rifles that are offered and many soon to be offered, that makes sense.

Creedmor water case capacity is 52.5gr. and pushes a 140gr bullet around 2700 with a near max charge of IMR 4831.
6.5 PRC water case capacity is 62gr. and pushes a 140gr bullet near or just at 3,000fps with 51gr. IMR 4831.
Both out of a 24" barrel. The Creedmor has around 15# of felt recoil. The PRC has around 17# of felt recoil.
All being equal as possible, that is a 270-280fps+ gain to the PRC.
Someone else can do the exact percentage gain numbers.
But it's pretty fricken good.
Obviously the IMR 4831 isn't the best powder choice for either cartridge, but it gives the best uniform base line for comparison of these two cartridges, I think.
There are certainly faster 6.5 cartridges for sure. But if the fastest is the best , and that's what a guy thinks matters, then they should look to the big 6.5s like the 6.5-300.
This cartridge equals or comes very close to several already proven cartridges like the 6.5x284.
But it's the available ammo , components, and most importantly the factory rifles that are offered and many soon to be offered, that makes sense.
I'll run your numbers.
6.5 Creed, 42.2 gr 4831, 140 bullet = 2700 fps
6.5 PRC, 51.0 gr 4831, 140 bullet= 3000 fps

That's a 21% increase in powder burned for an 11% increase in velocity...PRC is less efficient.

Using the JBM recoil calculator, same data, I get 13.2 ft lbs for the Creed, 17.3 ft lbs for the PRC. That's a 31% increase in recoil for the same 11% increase in velocity...PRC is less efficient.

I've got nothing against the 6.5 PRC or other fast 6.5's, but I'm failing to see the better efficiency. I agree it is an appealing off-the shelf hunting chambering for the reasons you noted.

If a person doesn't think that it's efficient to gain 280fps with only 9gr. more powder, in a far less pressure loading?
I guess it's just one of many ways to look at it.
But I think your math is right, but with the wrong equation.
The get for gain is where it's at as far as I am concerned.
The Creedmor is certainly one of the most efficient cartridges out there. But I think it's like climbing to the top of the mountain, spending days camping as you go, enduring rain and snow.
Then not wanting to take the extra 50yrd hike to the best spot to look at the below before heading back.
But hey, that's just me.

I don't believe 9gr is a 21% increase in powder.
No big deal though. But might rethink that as 51 being 100%. Then what does that make 42.2?
See what I mean. But again it's okay.

Still waiting for a 25PRC and 7mm PRC.

Till then, best of luck to ya!

Hmmm,
Why wait on Hornady?
Ok gang, the latest/greatest from Ken's Kustoms!
7mm RN (Randy Newberg)
And 25 OYOA.

No big deal though. But might rethink that as 51 being 100%. Then what does that make 42.2?
Just as a good example of typical gain out there. This is some real world data from some of my past loads.
Using IMR 4895, near but not max loading for pressure, 165gr. SST, and both 22" barrels.

30-06 with 50gr. powder = 2,820
.308 with 43gr. powder = 2,749
That extra 7gr. of powder didn't spice things up a whole lot for the extra recoil of the 30-06.
IMR 4895 is actually a pretty darn good powder in both those cartridges too.
I think when you also consider the down range energy of both with 165 gr. bullets, compared to the 6.5 PRC down range energy with a 140gr. bullet it starts to make a person wonder how it can do it.

Well I'm going to stick with my relative increase equation, but you don't have to believe me, and no hard feelings. (y)

The reduction in wind drift at 700+ for ringing steel, or for the guys who dont like spinning turrets at medium ranges, those are benefits I can appreciate.

What for? If you can load a critter whole and get it home and hang it, everything ends up cleaner in the end. mtmuley
Nonsense. Just a lot more stuff to throw away. Water works well to clean off any dirt and hair. Your choice, but I leave the junk out there for the critters. I have never shot an elk, where I could load the whole thing. I get off the road!

I find it funny that 6.5 bullet going 3000 fps is "new modern technology". Hornady definitely knows how play the market. The 270 win and 264 wm have been doing what the 6.5 prc does for decades. It will kill.
I disagree, X diameter bullet going X fps isnt the "new modern technology". But a factory cartridge with a long throat able to seat high bc bullets without protruding into the powder space definitely wasnt offered in the 50s and 60s lol

I disagree, X diameter bullet going X fps isnt the "new modern technology". But a factory cartridge with a long throat able to seat high bc bullets without protruding into the powder space definitely wasnt offered in the 50s and 60s lol
Wait...
When did Weatherby quit making guns???!!!!
Weatherby has been doing exactly that since the 1940s.

And really, (while no "high BC) Paul Mauser was doing that in the 1890s.

Are you really getting anything over the 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 6.5mm Rem Mag, or especially the 264 Win Mag?
Not even same league as 6.5-300 Weatherby.

Oh, and i forgot the 7mm PRC is already out there, just under a different name.
It's the 7mm LRM( Long Range Magnum) brought out by the boys in Wyoming, Gunwerks.

Last edited:
Wait...
When did Weatherby quit making guns???!!!!
Weatherby has been doing exactly that since the 1940s.

And really, (while no "high BC) Paul Mauser was doing that in the 1890s.

Are you really getting anything over the 6.5-06, 6.5-284, 6.5mm Rem Mag, or especially the 264 Win Mag?
Not even same league as 6.5-300 Weatherby.

Oh, and i forgot the 7mm PRC is already out there, just under a different name.
It's the 7mm LRM( Long Range Magnum) brought out by the boys in Wyoming, Gunwerks.
I didn't know weatherby ever offered fast trist barrels specifically for heavy for caliber bullets. Its been pretty rare to find those Wildcats in factory rifles, 6.5 prc not so much.

How would the PRC hold up to a 270 win as far as using it on antelope deer and every now and then an elk? Here is what I'm getting at. I am paralyzed from the neck down and hunt out of a wheelchair and the shooting rig I use for sure has a lot of barrel whip just really shakes the shit out of me. I can handle it with no problem and am accurate but was just curious of the different caliber's available.

How would the PRC hold up to a 270 win as far as using it on antelope deer and every now and then an elk? Here is what I'm getting at. I am paralyzed from the neck down and hunt out of a wheelchair and the shooting rig I use for sure has a lot of barrel whip just really shakes the shit out of me. I can handle it with no problem and am accurate but was just curious of the different caliber's available.
0643EC13-4D52-43F8-9174-EF1BA4842FBF.jpegF9E7CE01-4667-427A-A239-4F291E5A02F4.jpeg
These elk didn’t seem to like our 6.5-06s which is the 6.5 PRC twin. Same load data and performance. We’ve killed a few elk, lots of deer,lots of antelope, and a truck load of coyotes with them and all have died uneventfully

I didn't know weatherby ever offered fast trist barrels specifically for heavy for caliber bullets. Its been pretty rare to find those Wildcats in factory rifles, 6.5 prc not so much.
You never said anything about fast twist barrel.
You said long throat to keep high BC bullet from protruding into the powder space.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back