Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Anyone hunt with 6.5 PRC?

I guess some like the fact that it works in a SA tho IF [and that's a BIG IF] I was building one I'd start with something originally chambered for a .XYZ WSM where the action has been designed to fit and feed the fatter case. Seems to be essentially the 6.5 WSM. Looked into one a couple years ago and it seems to be a barrel eater.

Last edited:
What is the bolt face diameter of and parent case for the PRC? Seems like the 6.5 caliber is hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut so Hornady is just cashing in on the craze. Why don't they legitimize the 6.5-06 while they are at it or even the 6.5-.280AI?
That I would have no idea about. I personal don't have any interest in the caliber other than finding an interesting read.

Be ready to pay dearly for ammo and if you reload, brass. You are not going to have good barrel life, if you do lots of shooting. It is a great hunting cartridge, but like some have said, all it can do is what has already been done.

Personally, if I wanted to spice up my 6.5s a bit, I would go with the 6.5-06. It is plenty speedy and there is tons of cheap brass available. If you don't reload, then it is not a good option.

As to the original question, yes, it would be a great hunting cartridge, along with tens of others. I would be tempted to use a 127 LRX for everything, taking advantage of the velocity.

Ammo is actually very reasonable($320/case.) Brass is also 50 cents a piece or less.

Hornadys ammo is very consistent and too accurate to justify reloading although I don't blow through a lot of ammo.

Parent case is the 300 rcm and mag bolt face.

Say you’re shooting the ELDX Bullet out of both a 6.5 PRC and the 270. Let’s assume a muzzle velocity of both rounds at 2975 ft./s. At 600 yards the 270 has 65 inches of drop. The 6.5 drops 63 inches. Muzzle energy of the 270 is 1600 foot pounds. The 6has 1700.

Is it better? Yeah it is. Does it matter? Not one friggin bit.

If you wanna waste your money on Hornady’s newest flavor of koolaid, be my guest.

I’ll spend my money on tags and stay with tried-and-true.
This is exactly how I feel about the “new” 6.5s, and all of Noslers new calibers. At least creed has ammo availability going for it, 28 and 30 nosler ammo is basically unobtanium in stores.

The 6.5 PRC's intended "audience" was the PRS shooters looking to drive the 140 grain 6.5 bullets closer to the 3200 fps velocity limit for PRS competitions. This is something you cannot get close to with a 6.5 Creedmoor. Also, because it is a short action it has caught on with high mountain hunters looking for a little more power w/o going to a heavier long action.

I’m yet to see a PRC at a match. The trend is going in the reverse. Smaller calibers are dominating Most of the better shooters have migrated to 6mm.

If you want a cartridge that can push 140+gr. bullets over 3,000fps out of a 24" barrel. The 6.5 PRC is a good choice.
If you also want affordable ammo and brass, large bullet selection, relatively low recoil, and factory off the shelf rifles to buy it in, then this may very well be the best choice for sure.
I personally think I will soon have a rifle in this cartridge. It fits nicely into the in between .260/ 6.5 Creedmor and the 7mm/ .300 win mag. in speed and energy.
I see it as an example of a great all around cartridge.
If you already have a 6.5x284, 6.5 wsm or saum then it's not a needed tool for you.
Unless you want to shoot cheaper.

Explain to this simple ranch boy what the difference between a 6.5 PRC and a 6.5 cm is.

The 6.5 PRC is a larger cartridge that not only holds more powder, but burns it more efficiently.
It easily can push bullets of equal weight 250fps-300fps faster than the Creedmor and with just slightly more recoil.
Kinda like comparing a 22lr to the 22 magnum.

The 6.5 PRC is a larger cartridge that not only holds more powder, but burns it more efficiently.
It easily can push bullets of equal weight 250fps-300fps faster than the Creedmor and with just slightly more recoil.

Thank you

Please expound on how it burns powder more efficiently, I am genuinely curious.

Both have man buns and drive subaru's. Splitting hairs.

LOL. I don't have a man bun, but I drive my daughter's Subaru all the time. Never drank a White Claw in my life. I did drink three fingers of Ghost Owl last night. Must be the .280 side of me there. :unsure:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back