Anyone here eat jack rabbit?

We’ve been eat the Jack my kids take while camping. We usually just grill the back straps up after I remove the silver skin with some seasoning. Cook medium rare. Kids like it. I then save all the legs for the slow cooker at home. I follow Hank Shaw venison barbacoa recipe but use the jack instead. Makes pretty good shred meat tacos.

We’ve been eat the Jack my kids take while camping. We usually just grill the back straps up after I remove the silver skin with some seasoning. Cook medium rare. Kids like it. I then save all the legs for the slow cooker at home. I follow Hank Shaw venison barbacoa recipe but use the jack instead. Makes pretty good shred meat tacos.
Medium rare? What could possibly go wrong there?

unnamed.jpg

I once asked at a sporting goods store in Douglas about shooting them, but was advised not to because the more there were the less likely the eagles were to go after deer and antelope fawns. Don't know if there's any truth to that though. They weren't very plentiful but once in awhile you'd kick one up and they wouldn't run very far.
My GUESS is that it would be the opposite. Predators eat more than once per year. Their population is going to be more strongly tied to consistent food sources. My thinking would be, more rabbits=more predators=more fawns killed. It’s possible that there is a factor I’m missing.

My GUESS is that it would be the opposite. Predators eat more than once per year. Their population is going to be more strongly tied to consistent food sources. My thinking would be, more rabbits=more predators=more fawns killed. It’s possible that there is a factor I’m missing.
He was referring to golden eagles as the predators [not coyotes]of which there were a couple around on the place I had access to. Of course at that time fawn season was still 6 months away. Being that he was a local I figured that he knew what he was talking about. I can't speak for the general area, but I don't ever recall seeing a coyote on the place until recently. If they do see one they are on the phone to predator control because they have sheep.

He was referring to golden eagles as the predators [not coyotes]of which there were a couple around on the place I had access to. Of course at that time fawn season was still 6 months away. Being that he was a local I figured that he knew what he was talking about. I can't speak for the general area, but I don't ever recall seeing a coyote on the place until recently. If they do see one they are on the phone to predator control because they have sheep.
Golden eagles have to eat year round too, not just fawning season.

Honestly I prefer dark meat to be rare to medium rare, so I would definitely like to know if that would be safe or unsafe with rabbit.
The simple answer is that it is as safe as venison(full discloser I'm not a biologist or doctor). Most of the primary diseases that we could get from them are passed on by fleas and ticks, not in the meat. The hemorrhagic fever that is popping up in rabbits in Arizona might change that equation though.

The simple answer is that it is as safe as venison(full discloser I'm not a biologist or doctor). Most of the primary diseases that we could get from them are passed on by fleas and ticks, not in the meat. The hemorrhagic fever that is popping up in rabbits in Arizona might change that equation though.
You can get tularemia just from handling them, including meat. I know that people say it cooks out, but I’ve never heard what temp. I also think that by the time you’re cooking it, you’ve probably already caught tularemia. I don’t know what other diseases are a concern with rabbits.

Last edited:
You can get tularemia just from handling them, including meat. I know that people say it cooks out, but I’ve never heard what temp. I also think that by the time you’re cooking it, you’ve probably already caught tularemia. I don’t know what other diseases are a concern with rabbits.
Good catch, I thought it only transferred through insect bites.

"Heat kills F. tularensis, so cook meat to the right temperature — a minimum of 160 F (71.1 C) for ground meat and game meat..." - mayoclinic.org

I made a pretty complex tart today with braised jackrabbit. It was quite tasty, but a bit too involved to write down here.

Low and slow is the key as others have voiced; I'll also add that adding a source of fat is critical since they are ultra lean. In this case it was a cheese tart so that part was pretty easy. Any fat source (butter, pork shoulder for sausage, cream) will make it taste way better.

I made a pretty complex tart today with braised jackrabbit. It was quite tasty, but a bit too involved to write down here.

Low and slow is the key as others have voiced; I'll also add that adding a source of fat is critical since they are ultra lean. In this case it was a cheese tart so that part was pretty easy. Any fat source (butter, pork shoulder for sausage, cream) will make it taste way better.
My go to is Jackrabbit Thai green curry. Low and slow. There is fat in the coconut milk & cream. You can make it as spicy as you like. Remove the silver skin. Put in the back straps and quarters. You can make rabbit meatballs out of whichever parts you prefer. The hind quarters end up being quite tender, so consider making the back straps into rabbit meatballs. I prefer to leave the quarters bone in when it simmers in the crock pot. Add any hearty vegetables (like eggplant) about 15-20 minutes before the end of the cook time so they do not get obliterated into mush.

We have been trying our luck at jack rabbit. They aren’t a game animal here and We can spot light, so we can hunt them year round. First it was tacos now it’s deep fried. I think next time I will grind them up and make Chilli.

I haven't eaten them but I have shot a few. My friends and I were going to cook some rabbit Stew but the rabbits were overrun with ticks to the point no one want to touch them. This was summer time during a heat wave and I've heard to wait for winter for most of the ticks to die off. Just something to keep in mind.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back