Anyone here eat jack rabbit?

BTW...my favorite part of rabbit wether it be cottontail or jackrabbit is liver and heart. Lightly breaded and deep fried, really good.

Maybe if one saves enough hearts and livers they could make a good boudin sausage. Or just grind the legs with it, cut in some pork belly. I might be into something here.🤔

Maybe if one saves enough hearts and livers they could make a good boudin sausage. Or just grind the legs with it, cut in some pork belly. I might be into something here.🤔
That would work for big game animals too. If you tear up a heart, but half of it at least left without being bloodshot, bet it would make for good sausage ground up.

Over the weekend on a fishing trip my boys shot a big jack. This time we cut it into 1” pieces, then soaked it in butter milk for 3 hrs, dredged it then deep fried it. It was really good this way.

Last edited:
This is honestly one of the best stews I have ever had. Highly recommended.

I once asked at a sporting goods store in Douglas about shooting them, but was advised not to because the more there were the less likely the eagles were to go after deer and antelope fawns. Don't know if there's any truth to that though. They weren't very plentiful but once in awhile you'd kick one up and they wouldn't run very far.

Over the weekend on a fishing trip my boots shot a big jack. This time we cut it into 1” pieces, then soaked it in butter milk for 3 hrs, dredged it then deep fried it. It was really good this way.

This is how I usually do it, then put the cubes in buffalo wing sauce and dunk in ranch. Jack rabbits have to either be cooked hot and fast, or braised low and slow.

I once asked at a sporting goods store in Douglas about shooting them, but was advised not to because the more there were the less likely the eagles were to go after deer and antelope fawns. Don't know if there's any truth to that though. They weren't very plentiful but once in awhile you'd kick one up and they wouldn't run very far.
We got so many in my part of the state that they are treated as rodents. Personally, I don't think shooting jackrabbits is going to affect the number of fawn kills by predators including eagles. I am no biologist and I know some in here can give better information on that. When they are not very numerous, my gut feeling is the predator count especially coyotes and foxes are high. The balance will shift the other direction once foxes and coyotes move out or are killed is my bet.

We got so many in my part of the state that they are treated as rodents. Personally, I don't think shooting jackrabbits is going to affect the number of fawn kills by predators including eagles. I am no biologist and I know some in here can give better information on that. When they are not very numerous, my gut feeling is the predator count especially coyotes and foxes are high. The balance will shift the other direction once foxes and coyotes move out or are killed is my bet.

My rabbit and squirrel population is cyclical depending on the coyote population in the grasslands I hunt. Even the antelope fawn population depends on it.

In all of the times that I've been going in that area I've seen one coyote and that was 2 or 3 years ago. The rancher's wife said that they would call the predator control folks to go after it. Used to see a golden eagle once in awhile, but have not seen one in the last 10 years or so.

In all of the times that I've been going in that area I've seen one coyote and that was 2 or 3 years ago. The rancher's wife said that they would call the predator control folks to go after it. Used to see a golden eagle once in awhile, but have not seen one in the last 10 years or so.
I think it is cyclic and Mother Nature correcting imbalances myself.

It’s pretty Desolate where we hunt these rabbits. So no deer. We coyote hunt also that might help balance them out.🤷‍♂️

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back