Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Anyone have a Sierra loading manual and a couple of minutes?

Dougfirtree

I'm developing a practice load for my son's .308 using the 125 grain Sierra Gamechanger and H 4895. The only data I've found is on the Hodgedon website. It says 45 grains for a starter load with a 125 Sierra soft point. I tried that and it was at almost 3000fps, so that data clearly isn't right for this bullet. Anyone have a Sierra manual, who could give me their listed starter load/velocity? Thanks!

Did you try to call Sierra? They have help me several times. Might not be answering questions right now with the virus vacancies. But I don't know.
1-800-223-8799. Or email them from their web site. They will help...

If you are looking for a youth load then look at Hodgdon’s website and use their 60% of max charge with H4895. H4895 can be loaded way down comforters reduced loads, but I’ve also had good luck with RL7 using old load data from a Lyman manual to develop a 125gr youth load in .308 for my kids’ Savage 10. Shoots better than the H4895, sub-moa

If you are looking for a youth load then look at Hodgdon’s website and use their 60% of max charge with H4895. H4895 can be loaded way down comforters reduced loads, but I’ve also had good luck with RL7 using old load data from a Lyman manual to develop a 125gr youth load in .308 for my kids’ Savage 10. Shoots better than the H4895, sub-moa
Yes, I've done several light loads with H 4895 before. Was mostly just hoping that the published starting load would let me find my target velocity more efficiently.

Thanks! I've never seen one formatted like that before. Not really clear what start and max are for each one, is it?
Hornady is formatted the same way.
Data is for all the bullets shown.

What it doesn't show you is barrel length.
While most data is for a 24" barrel, Sierra likes to test with a 26" barrel, usually.
Adjust your expected velocities accordingly.

Here are a couple of reduced loads for the 125's.
+ Larger Font | + Smaller Font

.308 Winchester (Accurate 5744 Rifle Data)
ACF174E.gif
Warning! Notes: gun: H-S PREC.; barrel length: 24 inches; primer: CCI 200; case: REM; maximum loads; reduce listed loads by 10 percent for a start charge.​
Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.​

Wt.BulletPowder ManufacturerPowderChargeVelocity (FPS)
125Nosler Ballistic TipAccurateAAC-574434.52,753
Remarks:

+ Larger Font | + Smaller Font

.308 Winchester (Reduced/Youth Loads - Hodgdon Data)
.308%20Winchester8.gif
Warning! Notes: case: Winchester; bbl: 24"; PR: Federal 210M; NEVER exceed loads listed​
Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.​

Wt.BulletPowder ManufacturerPowderChargeVelocity (FPS)
125Nosler Ballistic TipHodgdonH-489538.02,592
Remarks: dia.: .308"; COL: 2.800"; 31,600 cup

What is wrong with 3000 fps? That is what you get in the .308/30-06, when you use small bullets. Load it and shoot.
Looking for a practice round for the kids. Low recoil is key, as is approximating their hunting load, which is a 130 grain ttsx at 2740fps.

The hodgdon data on reduced recoil loads is where I'd start. Generally the published starting loads are where velocity of a given load has an acceptable standard deviation. H4895 is one of the few powders that has acceptable accuracy at very low load densities without weird pressure spikes.

You can always increase the powder charge to hit whatever velocity you're looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back