Anyone have a free Mountain fitness program/routine?

lifesupport4u

I am wondering if anyone is aware of any free workout / exercise programs geared towards being fit in the mountains?

I know there are several programs out there for several hundred dollars a year and I don’t want to go that route...

Thanks for the help in advance

Lots out there on the internet if you search.
Mountain ops has one as does exo mountain gear

I can't imagine paying for a workout program. Here's a free one. Get in the best cardio shape possible. Hike with a weighted pack. Lift weights to build strength, if you can, after you take care of the cardio. Did I mention cardio?

Mountain Tactical Institute has a hunt training plan that is a one-time cost of $60. It's an 8-week program that includes rucking, weighted step-ups, sandbag getups & core exercises, running, and an interval workout called "Quadzilla Complex" using dumbbell lunges, jump squats and scotty bobs.

Exo has one that is very similar for free.

If you don't want to follow a strict program, or you want to program yourself to fit your schedule, scaling needs, etc, just throw similar exercises together in a way that works for you.

Last edited:
What I do, for free:

5/3/1 barbell program for squat, deadlift, bench and press.
Pullups and bent-over rows for accessory lifts
Hike, trail run, weighted step-ups or stair climbs, and hill sprints for sport-specific conditioning

Why pay someone for a program? A program does nothing unless you DO IT!

That being said.. If you insist on a gym, do a full body workout 3x a week to keep your whole body in shape and some form of cardio 2-3x a week. Cardio on an incline is a bonus! If you are looking for more in depth explanations I'd be happy to help for free.

If you google horseman training program there’s a pdf that you can open. It’s got a schedule to follow. It’s an ass kicker and some of the workouts are a little rediculous but, it’s free. The workouts are pulled from CrossFit gym Jones and mtn athlete.

Just to clarify- I am not going from nothing to getting in shape. Just looking for a new program.

Feel like there are a few vague comments assuming I am licking the fast food grease off my fingers as I write this.

I will definitely check out mountain ops and exo programs. Thanks for the help!

Already doing this. Looking to take it to the next level. Thanks!

Why pay someone for a program? A program does nothing unless you DO IT!

That being said.. If you insist on a gym, do a full body workout 3x a week to keep your whole body in shape and some form of cardio 2-3x a week. Cardio on an incline is a bonus! If you are looking for more in depth explanations I'd be happy to help for free.

It could be that the OP is just starting out so not going crazy to start to avoid injury would be a consideration. It is hard to tell with information provided. Or maybe supplement what is currently already being performed? But either way, the ones provided by all these replies will lead you in the right direction for building cardio, cardio and strength.

Could also start jiu-jitsu in addition to all this for increasing your resilience to suffering. :)

make sure you wash your hands after you are done licking fast food grease off your fingers. Just good hygiene. :D

I like Randy's the best, and the bulk of it is posted in nearly every dairy queen across the nation!!

I have looked at it but w 2 small kids at home there is no way I would ever be able to do it. Hard enough to get motivated to work out as it is. I need some to push me to and during a workout. I do crossfit during lunch which is next to my office. Works great since it doesn’t interrupt family time causing me to burn brownie points for non hunting activities. Its not for everyone but it works for me and my schedule.

I basically do what I have time for. I got 3 kids and a busy job. I get up early 3 days a week and generally do something like this: 70 second plank exercise that I call "mountain climbers", a little stretching, 25 pushups, then I jump on the treadmill and hike uphill for 30 minutes while I watch Solo Hunter or something. Then repeat the plank exercise and pushups. Then clean up and get the kids off to school. I try to keep my workout sort of hunting-specific. Most hunts for me involve a 2 mile hike up a mountain before sunrise, so I kind of go with that, although I vary it up a little from time to time.

On the weekends I hike or, this time of year, ski.

I have never understood paying for someone else to tell you what lifts/workouts to do, but I suppose everyone is different and having a coach whether online or in person helps some people with motivation. For me, I skip the memberships and used the money for a set of adjustable dumbbells at home. In the winter it's mostly lifts. Squats, lunges, calf raises, shoulder/trap work for supporting a pack, crunches, planks, mountain climbers etc. for core. In the spring, I start splitting my time between lifts and running. In the summer I start doing more hiking and adding weight. Just what works for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back