Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Anyone else go "old school" on their bow?

mndiver

I used to go to my local archery shop about once a month and shoot the new bows. I even bought a few over the past 25 years. But the bow I still use every hunt and still can't wait to get back in my hand after 15 years of use is my trusty Mathews Switchback. I have likely shot every brand Mathews put out in the last 12 years and have yet to find the Switchback equivalent. Tomorrow morning it will be back in my hand sitting up in a tree with the original 3 pin site and drop away rest.

I bought a Martin Cougar Magnum off ebay last month. It was a cool, death ray in 1984.

$65 bucks for mint vintage bow, a doz 2216 xx75's, a dozen Thundercats, big fancy hard case, some kind of fancy bowsite, of course a whisker biscuit, release, arm guard, and glove.

Ebay is pretty cool sometimes.

I used to go to my local archery shop about once a month and shoot the new bows. I even bought a few over the past 25 years. But the bow I still use every hunt and still can't wait to get back in my hand after 15 years of use is my trusty Mathews Switchback. I have likely shot every brand Mathews put out in the last 12 years and have yet to find the Switchback equivalent. Tomorrow morning it will be back in my hand sitting up in a tree with the original 3 pin site and drop away rest.
Been shooting my Bowtech Old Glory for the last 14 years and love it as much today as the day I bought it. It shoots great for me and I see no reason whatsoever to upgrade anytime soon.

Prior to the Old Glory I shot a Mathews Z Max for about 10 years and before that an old PSE, also for about 10 years.

Only bow I shot for a relatively short duration was my very first one, a Bear Whitetail Hunter, which I used for about 5 years.

Had no idea that my 3 pin sight and drop away rest were considered old school. But then again, 3 years ago I was told that walnut stocks on guns were shit that no one wanted. That surprised me as well. Suppose I need to get out more.

Had no idea that my 3 pin sight and drop away rest were considered old school. But then again, 3 years ago I was told that walnut stocks on guns were shit that no one wanted. That surprised me as well. Suppose I need to get out more.

All relative indeed. People look at me like I am using a slingshot when I go into archery range.

After my house burned down and I came out here to live with my daughter and her family, my SOL knowing I am a bow hunter told me he had a couple of compounds stored away. He went and dug them out. These guys are circa 1975. I told him he might want to donate them to a museum. ;) I haven't shot them because for one; we have no arrows and two; I think the strings are original. 45 year old strings might be a little brittle.

Yep haha..

I still run a 2005 Hoyt Vtec. It was the last major purchase I made before the wife and I were married in 2005 and merged bank accounts. Still shoots like a dream and is plenty fast for me. Easy to tune, easy to carry, quiet... I can't ask for much more.

I took it in a few years back for a new string and such and the shop owner wanted to buy it from me. He said they were in high demand because they were such an easy bow to shoot/tune. No matter how much he offered I said no..

I have a ten year old Z-7. I haven't been bow hunting (or shooting) since I broke my back five years ago. I decided to get back in the game this summer and I went to pull that 70lbs and realized not only is my bow old, I am old.

I swapped that puppy in for a 60lb Mathews VXR and let some young buck play with that Z-7. I can tell you, the new bow is certainly smoother than my old Z-7. I did like that bow and killed a nice bull with it...

'Bout 3 years ago I started using my first bow again. A 1974 Browning Nomad Stalker l . I love the old recurve, it weighs nothing and is a great challenge.

Before that I used a trusty 1985 TSS. An early carbon split limb. 63#, 30% letoff, prolly 50" long and heavy. Barely 200 fps but quiet and the arrows go where the 3 pin aims. Arrows slide off an old "flipper" rest.

What's it doing in your basement! Get it out there! :)

Got pictures? I'm not well versed in Bear bow chronologies but I like to look.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back