Anyone else go "old school" on their bow?

I’ve got a 2007 Mathews Switchback XT that I’m about to get back out and start using again. I’ve killed deer, elk, and turkeys with it in the past so I see no reason why it won’t kill in the future.

It seems so odd to me that a compound could be considered "old school", especially a Matthews. Next thing you know, the rifle guys will be waxing poetic about bolt-action nostalgia.

:) :) :)

Your idea of old school is funny. I thought this was going to be a thread on traditional archery.
You took the words right out of my mouth Bambistew ! I started in archery in 1952 and still shoot trad today, a Brackenberry take down recurve made in 1988. I know others have their own thoughts on archery, but I will never feel that archery is other than traditional, but I will not condemn others for their thoughts either. Ti me, there is nothing better than watching a feathered shaft as it spins to the target !! Have hunted deer, elk and moose with recurve in hand ! I thought your comment was spot on.

I used to go to my local archery shop about once a month and shoot the new bows. I even bought a few over the past 25 years. But the bow I still use every hunt and still can't wait to get back in my hand after 15 years of use is my trusty Mathews Switchback. I have likely shot every brand Mathews put out in the last 12 years and have yet to find the Switchback equivalent. Tomorrow morning it will be back in my hand sitting up in a tree with the original 3 pin site and drop away rest.
Still shooting my Mathews Outback circa 2004........

these new ones can be pretty nice at shooting as well, however "old school" is much more pleasant to hold and shoot with. Now I'm looking for a reliable new bow stabilizer, I've previously used nap apache stabilizer, I have had it for 10 years already and I'm now wondering whether there are worthy variants available on the market nowadays. Has anyone recently purchased bow stabilizers? I literally know nothing about the ones I've discovered on hibipod.com. Are they reliable and would serve me as long as the previous one did or not?? I'd be grateful if someone shares his story and maybe the research conducted before buying a new bow stabilizer. :)

Last edited:
Still using my switchback xt!

Attachments

• 7AA2603E-553A-41BE-9AED-740BC8FA4AA3.jpeg
    7AA2603E-553A-41BE-9AED-740BC8FA4AA3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 04028119-85AC-4471-82C3-19EC3F75A717.jpeg
    04028119-85AC-4471-82C3-19EC3F75A717.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
I have several Browning recurves and a Hoyt recurve as well. My mathews is an outback.

About two years ago I rekindled my bowhunting desires.
I put a new rest, string and black gold sight on my Switchback XT, got back into shooting it.
When the quarantine hit a year ago I started shooting more and more...and more.
Ended up stumbling across another Switchback XT last summer. Exact same draw length and poundage. Now I’ve got two...and they both can shoot way better than me.

Now I just need to draw a tag.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back