Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

How things have changed, looking at new bows

IMO you don't need carbon bow. You mostly treestand hunt so the saves weight vs money isn't a good trade.

Brace height has always been overblown IMO, with parallel limbs and newer cam shapes even less important.

Shorter axle to axle IMO is an issue IF you have longer draw length, the string angle at draw gets sharper and if you use your nose as an anchor point this gets harder

Any recent bow at 60lbs at 28+inches will blow through anything you will hunt

I dont know if it's the way i'm built or I just hold bows wrong (dont think so) but a 6" brace is goign to result in strings hitting my sleeve once i'm wearing cold weather clothes. I wont claim to definitely know how much difference there is in forgiveness but its a basic fact that the arrow stays on a string for longer with a shorter brace height giving you more time to impart error. I don't need the extra speed, its less length needed to draw, and I like the clearance for cold weather so 6 3/4-7" brace height is good by me.

I've been shooting bowtech realm 7 for a handful of years and needed to replace one last winter so I picked up a matthews v3x 33. The axle to axle difference between the two bows is 3/8" only but the mathews riser is way longer and that makes it feel notably more steady to me.

I haven't kept up with the new carbon bows the past couple years but before that, all the carbon bows i shot had risers that were less stiff and had more vibration (noise) at the shot than their aluminum counterparts. The only benefit was they aren't as cold to the touch. Seems like carbon bows are like carbon rifle barrels - physically inferior to the cheaper metal option but people get duped into buying them because they think they must be better due to being more expensive or because they think carbon is cool.

I have the V3X. I’ve hunted with every brand over the last 5 years and the Mathews is at the top. I’ll probably stick with Mathews moving forward.

Today I still shoot a Mathews DXT and in the market for a newer bow for the solid backstops, let off, speed etc. But things have changed since I last bought a bow.. ya ya DXT its been a few years and wow the prices! With very few bow shops around or hours away, Im not sure where to start. Ive shot a couple older Elites and Mathews and have liked but with no local shops to try their newer models. Most of my hunting is out of a tree stand here in Illinois for whitetail but do venture west for elk. Leaning toward the shorter A2A bow but need to shoot some. I have no brand loyalty just interested in finding bow that fits me. Wheres a good bow shop??
Find a second hand halon. In 15/20yrs you can refresh this thread

^^^ I bought my Mathews on Ebay 5 or so years ago. It was a beneficial purchase for me. I needed to upgrade the Mods to my draw length and finally got those switched out recently! I know, WTF, dude! Anyhoo, the one local shop had such lousy customer service I ordered the mods from Lancaster Archery in PA. I got the mods from them before this local Mathews dealer got back to me!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back