How things have changed, looking at new bows

LongHunts

Today I still shoot a Mathews DXT and in the market for a newer bow for the solid backstops, let off, speed etc. But things have changed since I last bought a bow.. ya ya DXT its been a few years and wow the prices! With very few bow shops around or hours away, Im not sure where to start. Ive shot a couple older Elites and Mathews and have liked but with no local shops to try their newer models. Most of my hunting is out of a tree stand here in Illinois for whitetail but do venture west for elk. Leaning toward the shorter A2A bow but need to shoot some. I have no brand loyalty just interested in finding bow that fits me. Wheres a good bow shop??

Not sure where exactly in central IL you are located but the Mathews retailer search function on their website shows quite a few bow shops within 100 miles of Springfield.
1682348264230.png

Likewise for Elite:
1682348355737.png

For what it is worth, I shot the new Elite Omnia (32") side-by-side with the Mathews Phase4 (29"). The draw cycle on the Elite was stiff with a pretty significant final hump but was dead steady in the hand. Sight just laid on the target no matter what I did. The Mathews felt quite a bit lighter and, surprisingly, smoother than the Elite but not nearly as steady on target. I'd lean heavily toward the Elite for whitetail hunting out of treestands and blinds but the Mathews would likely be much more comfortable to pack into the backcountry. Shoot both and come to your own conclusions, though.

Not sure where exactly in central IL you are located but the Mathews retailer search function on their website shows quite a few bow shops within 100 miles of Springfield.
View attachment 273291

Likewise for Elite:
View attachment 273292

For what it is worth, I shot the new Elite Omnia (32") side-by-side with the Mathews Phase4 (29"). The draw cycle on the Elite was stiff with a pretty significant final hump but was dead steady in the hand. Sight just laid on the target no matter what I did. The Mathews felt quite a bit lighter and, surprisingly, smoother than the Elite but not nearly as steady on target. I'd lean heavily toward the Elite for whitetail hunting out of treestands and blinds but the Mathews would likely be much more comfortable to pack into the backcountry. Shoot both and come to your own conclusions, though.
There were two bow shops 30 minutes away. Looks like Peoria is the closest now but didn’t think they sold Mathews when I was on Presley’s site. Thanks for your info. I’m between those or even v3x. I don’t have to have the newest model just looking to upgrade.

I was in the market for a new bow this winter. Ended up with a phase 4 33". I live in WI so much like you most of my hunting is in treestands, with the yearly western trip.

The bow is dead quite, easy to hold on target even in the wind and no vibration in hand.

I shot the phase 4 29" side by side and hated it. Took 2 shots with it, it felt like it fell into the valley and back wall super hard and also the hand shock was noticeable.

Have a couple buddies with the V3X 29" (same cams so same draw cycle as P4; just doesn't have the vibration reducing limbs) the 29 is SUPER unforgiving. So much so even something as simple as shaving would affect impact point drastically.

I usually upgrade to a new Mathews every three or four years. Wow, just picked up my Phase 4 29 yesterday. Best Mathews I've shot and it's true ... it's dead silent! For what it's worth I tried the newest Mathews & Ripcord rest and both had the slightest noise to them. I'd never shot a Medusa rest before, but the Medusa Max rest makes the new Phase 4 dead quiet.
1682704050140.jpeg

I usually upgrade to a new Mathews every three or four years. Wow, just picked up my Phase 4 29 yesterday. Best Mathews I've shot and it's true ... it's dead silent! For what it's worth I tried the newest Mathews & Ripcord rest and both had the slightest noise to them. I'd never shot a Medusa rest before, but the Medusa Max rest makes the new Phase 4 dead quiet.
View attachment 273802
That looks awesome.

View attachment 273802
Nice set up..

Today I still shoot a Mathews DXT and in the market for a newer bow for the solid backstops, let off, speed etc. But things have changed since I last bought a bow.. ya ya DXT its been a few years and wow the prices! With very few bow shops around or hours away, Im not sure where to start. Ive shot a couple older Elites and Mathews and have liked but with no local shops to try their newer models. Most of my hunting is out of a tree stand here in Illinois for whitetail but do venture west for elk. Leaning toward the shorter A2A bow but need to shoot some. I have no brand loyalty just interested in finding bow that fits me. Wheres a good bow shop??
I don't know how much you plan to spend but if you watch the 2023 Outdoor life Test and Review it might give you some thoughts and help you catch up on what the very latest bows offer. The top 3 bows in this Test and Review were the Elite Carbon ERA, the Matthews Phase 4 and the PSE Carbon Mach 34. https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-compound-bows/

I would take a look at a carbon bow. The price tag for a new one is harsh but you can find used one for reasonable prices. The Carbon Era from Elite sounds like it's up your wheelhouse.

View attachment 273802

At $1250 the thing should have heat seeking arrows that come with it. Good lord the bow prices have went out of sight.

Nice bow BTW. Matthews guy here for years. I just can't bring myself to upgrade any more than every 10 years due to the prices.

I finally just upgraded my 2010 G5 Primal to a used Mathews Vertix. I couldn't get myself to pay 2k for brand new bow. But one thing's for sure, if you wait that long, the difference is very noticeable

My idea is I've upgraded all the parts on my bow to high quality pieces that are what I want one at a time. My bow, bowtech assasin, came with the cheapie ready to hunt package. Ive upgraded the sight, rest, stabilizer, quiver. Each one was a little expensive but bought during different years it wasn't bad.

So now I'm in a great position. If my bow has no issues I will have a 333 fps ibo bow for years to come. If it breaks, I can go buy whatever new bow I like and only have to buy the bow itself. All the accessories that really make it expensive I already have.

I do wonder. You say you're 2010 bow to current was very noticeable, what is it? The balance, quietness? One thing I keep in mind every year when I wonder about new bows is 15 years or so ago they peaked out efficiency. In other words you can't cheat physics and you can only get the energy out you put in. My bows a 2011 model year at 333 ibo with 70 pounds and 7" brace. The newest bows are the same. If I could go buy a new bow that got 30 fps more for the same brace height, draw weight, etc, I would upgrade. But every year I say why? Mines not broken at all.

Now I would upgrade to maybe 75 pound limbs on a shorter brace height bow to get some more speed..

I have a reasonably priced 3 year old Mathews VXR28 with a Mathews 6 arrow quiver for sale. It’s in great shape and the camo color is subalpine. My archery shop will set it up for your draw weight and length. PM me if interested
I just listed it here-

Last edited:
I do wonder. You say you're 2010 bow to current was very noticeable, what is it? The balance, quietness?
The most noticeable thing to me is how quiet and dead in the hand this bow is. It's just way more fun to shoot. The draw cycle, back wall, and accuracy are noticeable to me too. I've tried not to get too far out in the weeds with speed. Any modern bow at 60 or 70 lbs is plenty for what I need it to do

I do wonder. You say you're 2010 bow to current was very noticeable, what is it? The balance, quietness? One thing I keep in mind every year when I wonder about new bows is 15 years or so ago they peaked out efficiency. In other words you can't cheat physics and you can only get the energy out you put in. My bows a 2011 model year at 333 ibo with 70 pounds and 7" brace. The newest bows are the same. If I could go buy a new bow that got 30 fps more for the same brace height, draw weight, etc, I would upgrade. But every year I say why? Mines not broken at all.
I could be wrong, but I think newer bows have managed to make shorter brace heights more forgiving, which adds speed in a package you can still shoot decently. I just upgraded from a 2006 Bowtech single cam to a Mathews VXR 31.5; definitely not apples-to-apples but the draw cycle and backwall are worlds ahead in the new bow.

That would be a huge benefit. I've always heard short brace heights are unforgiving. And part of the problem with bows/guns is you can't go test drive them like a car. Sure I can go shoot a few arrows through it at 10 yards at the bow shop but they're not going to let me take it home and shoot it for an hour at 60 yards to see if the "unforgivingness" would affect my shooting or not. It is tempting to want to save up for one of the new flagship models

View attachment 273291

Likewise for Elite:
View attachment 273292

I changed the performance mods on my Omnia to smooth and haven't looked back...

Attachments

• Omnia.jpg
    Omnia.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
I shoot a Mathews HTR, it's as much bow as I will ever need! I am pushing 65!

Back