Is this common practice at archery pro shops?

G

Guest member 25165

I was going to ask this question awhile ago but it slipped my mind. When I went out to my local archery shop to check out the flagship bows for 2021, I asked to shoot 2 bowtech bows. The proshop has one of every bow they sell sitting on the floor with a rest and a d-loop already installed. Some have sights and peeps and some don't. I told the pro that my draw length was 28.5 and he told me that they don't set individual draw lengths to customers when they drop in and want to test shoot because then everyone would be asking for their specific draw length on their demo bows. Now I guess I can kind of see this on say Mathews bows where they are all draw length specific and require a separate mod to be installed, but the bowtech bows have a rotating mod that allows change of draw length without a press. All the pro would of had to do was to take an allen key and adjust 2 draw length mods and a couple of draw stops.

My question is...do your pro shops set up a demo for you to shoot based on your specific draw length or do you just get to demo what is on the floor and if it is set up for you great, if not, too bad?

Hard to believe that "they" don't set draw lengths on demos to fit the customer wanting to demo it. It is however much easier to believe that "he or she" didn't feel like dealing with it at the time.

If they won't let you demo a bow that actually fits you, I would find a different shop.

That may be just the tech who was working but it seems lazy. I have told shops that I am not buying anything and they set up 3 at my length to try

That may be just the tech who was working but it seems lazy. I have told shops that I am not buying anything and they set up 3 at my length to try
It was the owners son. Mom, dad, and one of the boys work there. They only have one hired employee and she isn't part of the family. I've only purchased accessories there, never a bow.

It was the owners son. Mom, dad, and one of the boys work there. They only have one hired employee and she isn't part of the family. I've only purchased accessories there, never a bow.

Welp, the lucky sperm lottery offspring is turning another small business into a failing operation. I deal with small family businesses and for one to make it successfully to the third generation of leadership is quite rare. First generation busted their butts to cobble together some money to get the doors open then fend off recessions and lawsuits and riots and pandemics, etc, to eke out a survival then at 10 years of operations finally sees some success. The second generation can recall what is it was to be scraping along though by adulthood they are typically being pampered. The third generation only knows a pampered life and sees the business as a bulletproof, can't ever fail, cash cow for their hobbies and habits. I hear, "What am I supposed to do, fire my son/daughter/grandkid?" Yes, yes you should. Maybe they then will transform into the adult society needs them to be.

Welp, the lucky sperm lottery offspring is turning another small business into a failing operation. I deal with small family businesses and for one to make it successfully to the third generation of leadership is quite rare. First generation busted their butts to cobble together some money to get the doors open then fend off recessions and lawsuits and riots and pandemics, etc, to eke out a survival then at 10 years of operations finally sees some success. The second generation can recall what is it was to be scraping along though by adulthood they are typically being pampered. The third generation only knows a pampered life and sees the business as a bulletproof, can't ever fail, cash cow for their hobbies and habits. I hear, "What am I supposed to do, fire my son/daughter/grandkid?" Yes, yes you should. Maybe they then will transform into the adult society needs them to be.
Would you say anything to the parents who are the owners or just let it go and find another shop? I don't know if mom and dad know what happened and if that's the case, they might want to know about it to address the situation. On the other hand, you would think that all family would be on the same page with operations.

Would you say anything to the parents who are the owners or just let it go and find another shop? I don't know if mom and dad know what happened and if that's the case, they might want to know about it to address the situation. On the other hand, you would think that all family would be on the same page with operations.

Go back and ask again when the other people are on duty...

around here they don’t typically but if you ask they will change it. Remember lots of guys might be tire kicking on a Sat afternoon. Only 10/15 minutes but during that time he’s not helping another customer, working on a bow, ringing up another sale.
Yes pro shops offer a service but what you’re asking for is free, they could have other pressing things. Just 6 people all day add up to at least an hour, now add it to the week/weekend. The shop just lost a days pay. Now add that 10 mins up to 3 bows the customer wants changed, at least 30 mins. 5 of those other customers wanted at least 2 adjusted. Understand at least 5 prob had no interest in buying a bow but they wanted to brag to a friend or the Internet they tried the New bowtech, Mathews, etc.
If you’re serious about a purchase the man should be accommodating you though. The store is in business. Letting someone try things for free might be a necessary evil here for em but I’d bet it gets weighed by the customers demeaner and the shop persons time. I really can’t see a single shop doing it right now unless you’re a regular and they know you’re serious, all the while wondering why someone serious waits til season. I know you said this is an old question, just playing dif scenarios. At best he’d ask you to return if he was busy, after store hours. Hours he prob planned to work on bows, pay the bills etc.
It’s not all cut n dried boys.

If I wanted to buy a bow and the shop wouldn’t adjust it to my DL, I would not only take my business elsewhere, I would also take them a receipt to show a competitor got my business and explain why. The last time I bought a bow, I shot four shop models one day, went back a few days later and shot my top two. They never batted an eye at setting things up for me.

For the price of bows these days I’d be hesitant to spend money with a guy who won’t help me find the one that fits me. If you are about to drop the big bucks and he don’t have time for you then what’s gonna happen when you need a small repair or have a warranty issue. I’d go elsewhere. There’s too many good small businesses in the world to spend a dime with bad ones.

For the price of bows these days I’d be hesitant to spend money with a guy who won’t help me find the one that fits me. If you are about to drop the big bucks and he don’t have time for you then what’s gonna happen when you need a small repair or have a warranty issue. I’d go elsewhere. There’s too many good small businesses in the world to spend a dime with bad ones.
That’s not true at all. Most shops found here at least once you buy a bow 100% support you. YOU are a priority not the guy kicking tires. How would you view it if you weren’t? Leave an awful bad taste in your mouth about them. Like I said it’s all not cut n dried. If the guy has enough help to work on bows, sell stuff, adjust bows he might be getting inferior grade guys cause he can’t pay lots of guys top dollar.
It’s all about dollars n cents. Nit sure why guys don’t see that. If you’re serious, let em know you need help with deciding. If at that point if not during the heat of his busy season than I’d go elsewhere. Don’t wait til last minute you’ll get dif results most often

That’s not true at all. Most shops found here at least once you buy a bow 100% support you. YOU are a priority not the guy kicking tires. How would you view it if you weren’t? Leave an awful bad taste in your mouth about them. Like I said it’s all not cut n dried. If the guy has enough help to work on bows, sell stuff, adjust bows he might be getting inferior grade guys cause he can’t pay lots of guys top dollar.
It’s all about dollars n cents. Nit sure why guys don’t see that. If you’re serious, let em know you need help with deciding. If at that point if not during the heat of his busy season than I’d go elsewhere. Don’t wait til last minute you’ll get dif results most often
Like you said it’s not cut and dried even from the buyers perspective. I’ve been on the end when I did spend the big bucks and had to take it somewhere else because the people I bought it from couldn’t or wouldn’t fix it when I had an issue. I’m wary of who I deal with now. You do have valid points. Before a guy ties up a shop owners time adjusting 4 - 5 bows he needs to let it be known he is doing more than kicking tires and yes don’t wait till August to buy a bow. That’s just not smart.

Like you said it’s not cut and dried even from the buyers perspective. I’ve been on the end when I did spend the big bucks and had to take it somewhere else because the people I bought it from couldn’t or wouldn’t fix it when I had an issue. I’m wary of who I deal with now. You do have valid points. Before a guy ties up a shop owners time adjusting 4 - 5 bows he needs to let it be known he is doing more than kicking tires and yes don’t wait till August to buy a bow. That’s just not smart.
Absolutely agree, gotta work both ways

Just went to my local shop Friday, 6 guys and gals in there working their last minute asses off; had the string, cables, riser checked, new rubber put on the peep, flung 3-4 arrows in the back under the eye of the owner and talked a little football. Was in there 20-25 minutes. Asked him the damage, he said $1😳. I gave him $5, shook his hand, and said I’d surely be back! That’s how you make/keep customers!

Back