Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Anyone considering the F150 Electric?

I would love an electric truck IF and WHEN a few things get sorted.

Charging time- I read an article about solid state batteries that could shorten the charging time to 8-10 minutes instead of several hours. This is my biggest issue with current technology and the biggest reason for shying away.

Range- I would like to see it be comparable to current vehicles. Something closer to 400-450.

Charging stations- If they are as frequent and available as traditional gas stations.

I would love an electric truck IF and WHEN a few things get sorted.

Charging time- I read an article about solid state batteries that could shorten the charging time to 8-10 minutes instead of several hours. This is my biggest issue with current technology and the biggest reason for shying away.
at least 5 years out still
Range- I would like to see it be comparable to current vehicles. Something closer to 400-450.
You can get that but it'll cost. I know both my Tundra and Fit do less than 400 now so a 350 range doesn't see that bad.
Charging stations- If they are as frequent and available as traditional gas stations.
Here they are at least as numerous as gas stations if not more so. You may not have 3 at an intersection, but they as scattered all over town.

at least 5 years out still

You can get that but it'll cost. I know both my Tundra and Fit do less than 400 now so a 350 range doesn't see that bad.

Here they are at least as numerous as gas stations if not more so. You may not have 3 at an intersection, but they as scattered all over town.
That's good to know that stations are becoming more popular. I know my town has one (13,000). I think I'm most excited about popping the hood to a big empty storage space!

That's good to know that stations are becoming more popular. I know my town has one (13,000). I think I'm most excited about popping the hood to a big empty storage space!
We have 14 for ~50k peeps. But several of those sites have many chargers.
1643126219203.png

Here are two interesting videos on electric vehicles. First is a Tesla keeping you warm in the cold. The second is a about the Ford. Both are a bit nerdy, but that's how I roll.

An electric truck would do 99% of what I would use it for here in CO, and for the price of the Ford, I'd consider it. Although, I really want a Raptor.

Probably if they free add chargers at my work, they are talking about it now. Other than road trips and hunting it would be useful. We are a long ways out from having electric without a gas vehicle also however. Iam going to seriously consider getting one, not going to lie.

Here are two interesting videos on electric vehicles. First is a Tesla keeping you warm in the cold. The second is a about the Ford. Both are a bit nerdy, but that's how I roll.

An electric truck would do 99% of what I would use it for here in CO, and for the price of the Ford, I'd consider it. Although, I really want a Raptor.

The cold weather performance is definitely something to consider. I'm all for it...when the technology catches up to my needs/wants requirements.

Too rich for my blood. Them new Ford Mavericks though...

Edit: Never mind they're FWD.
a FWD would do quite well in a pickup IMO. Much better than a 2WD rear in snow, ice, etc...

They do have 4 wheel drive mavericks, I think you have to get the non hybrid engine though.

Saw they were suspending reservations due to overwhelming demand. Won't be able to order one until summer so they can catch up with new orders. I think many people are realizing they don't need a full size truck for the majority of what they do going to the store, groceries, drop kids at school, etc..

As far as electrics ,I also suspect most people do not drive more than 100 - 200 miles in a day so the real benefit of electric will be home charging IMO. If they come out with a electric maverick that is around 30k or so I am going to be very interested as it would cover trips to Cheyenne, Saratoga, Ft Collins, and all the town stuff I do.

Last edited:
The cold weather performance is definitely something to consider. I'm all for it...when the technology catches up to my needs/wants requirements.
I am really curious if the heater on the electric vehicle would be able to instantly warm the interior up to comfortable. Even if it cost some range that would be a really nice feature. If they have high voltage heater coils in the climate control system that might mean instant heat on those cold cold mornings. Being able to set the temp to 75 a few minutes before you walk out to the vehicle would be very convenient. Defrosting might be really easy as well.

a FWD would do quite well in a pickup IMO. Much better than a 2WD rear in snow, ice, etc...

They do have 4 wheel drive mavericks, I think you have to get the non hybrid engine though.

Saw they were suspending reservations due to overwhelming demand. Won't be able to order one until summer so they can catch up with new orders. I think many people are realizing they don't need a full size truck for the majority of what they do going to the store, groceries, drop kids at school, etc..

As far as electrics ,I also suspect most people do not drive more than 100 - 200 miles in a day so the real benefit of electric will be home charging IMO. If they come out with a electric maverick that is around 30k or so I am going to be very interested as it would cover trips to Cheyenne, Saratoga, Ft Collins, and all the town stuff I do.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm now interested again. After driving a FWD Elantra for the last few years, I really want something that's either AWD or RWD and can go off-road better than an economy car. Putting a deer in my trunk the last few years has been silly.

After driving a FWD Elantra for the last few years, I really want something that's either AWD or RWD and can go off-road better than an economy car.
Really? I swear my fwd fit does better in 95% of conditions than my truck, including snow (less than 8") and all icy conditions.

That's a pretty hilarious video about buying a Ford F150 electric vs. Tesla Powerwalls for home backup power. Didn't watch the whole thing but was funny.

If they come out with a electric maverick that is around 30k or so I am going to be very interested as it would cover trips to Cheyenne, Saratoga, Ft Collins, and all the town stuff I do.
fyi - Work truck prices look close to your $30k target. This is what an MSRP build would be for the F150 Pro (work truck) with the Tow Tech Package and projected range 230mi:
Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 7.46.19 PM.png

$41,922 base plus options (without destination/taxes)
- $7500 current Federal Tax Credit
- some states have Rebate Programs
= $34,422

Silverado EV Work Truck supposed to have a base price similar and I heard closer to 300mil base and 400 mile extended.

As I mentioned, I'll likely try the base model because I have a high miles diesel I'll keep for extended hunts, towing, etc.. While I'm no expert, it does seem like some nice tax advantages with the $ credit per mile driven in the year, which would cost me a tiny fraction in an electric vs gas vehicle...we will see...

fyi - Work truck prices look close to your $30k target. This is what an MSRP build would be for the F150 Pro (work truck) with the Tow Tech Package and projected range 230mi:
View attachment 210123

$41,922 base plus options (without destination/taxes)
- $7500 current Federal Tax Credit
- some states have Rebate Programs
= $34,422

Silverado EV Work Truck supposed to have a base price similar and I heard closer to 300mil base and 400 mile extended.

As I mentioned, I'll likely try the base model because I have a high miles diesel I'll keep for extended hunts, towing, etc.. While I'm no expert, it does seem like some nice tax advantages with the $ credit per mile driven in the year, which would cost me a tiny fraction in an electric vs gas vehicle...we will see...
Oh yea, I even signed up for the preorder list but decided to wait for the maverick as my tax liability swings and I need the tax credit in odd years so January 2023 will be when I make a move. I don't want another full size truck and hopefully by then there will be a couple of options.

I am also looking at the base model. The base maverick does not have cruise but there is an aftermarket option available. My thinking is I'll let my daughter learn to drive with the honda and then pass the Maverick to her in a few years. Another good reason for the base model.

I'm guessing the base electric maverick will be in the 30's.

Like others have said, battery capacity is the main thing that would hold me back-along with the speed of recharging.

Like others have said, battery capacity is the main thing that would hold me back-along with the speed of recharging.
It's funny how people look at this. The EV's are well suited for going to work, dropping kids at school, going to grocery store, etc.. Most people will charge at home, not at public chargers. Most people do not drive 250+ miles per day so the capacity would not apply to most situations. But for some reason folks really cling to those to factors.

Right now the technology is well suited for 95% of the running around most people do. If you want to take road trips it better be a Tesla.

For me a basic Lightning with 250 mile range will handle 99% of the driving I do. All the town stuff and running to FoCo, Cheyenne, Saratoga, etc.. It won't work for road trips in Wyoming, or towing a trailer.

The reality is people do most of their driving within 100 miles of home. That's where EV's really shine IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back