Caribou Gear

Anyone a steak hoarder

I hold on to mine too. One of my favorite ways to cook it is in the sous vide. Throw your normal seasoning on it, a little butter, and maybe a rosemary sprig then vacuum seal it and sous vide it at 120F. After a few hours take it out and fast sear it on the cast iron. Deglase the cast iron with some water and use the "juice" to serve over the steak after it has rested.
20230601_181245.jpg20230601_181538.jpg

I approve sir!

I used to hoard steaks somewhat until I got an infrared grill, now the kids (16 and 13) and wife ask for deer or elk steaks constantly. Their favorite is “elk nuggets” - basically finger steaks (from roasts or loin) marinaded in a little olive oil and basalmic vinegar, then cooked on the grill at full blast for 2-3 minutes. A little char on the outside and a little pink left inside. A little drizzle of garlic butter on the plate makes it a complete meal if momma isn’t home…otherwise some type of veggie is also served.

Some good suggestions in here to try. Tonight took a shoulder tenderloin cubed up marinated in Greek seasoning for a couple hours then fried up. Quick easy and tasty
Dumb question, but what is a shoulder tenderloin? I typically just burger my front quarters.

Dumb question, but what is a shoulder tenderloin? I typically just burger my front quarters.
Not sure the exact name for it but inside the chest cavity under the spine between the shoulder blades there is a second tenderloin looking thing. Not very big in a deer but an elk or moose is close to the size of a deer tenderloin. Nice and tender just like a tenderloin too just one piece of gristle to remove

I dont hoard, but I do ration until I know freezer filling season has arrived then it's Katie bar the door

Sadly I've a mental block that prefer game steaks well cooked, aka shoe leather, but prefer elk burger just the right shade (pinkish) of juicy. So, we marinate and sear, or chicken fry the steaks.
Thanks for your honesty. Most folks won’t admit that level of personal shortcomings. Your humility is inspiring.

I grew up in a well-done +p+ household. It took me years to walk down to medium rare. For me it was a texture thing.

I horde steaks terrible. I think I still have a 2020 elk backstrap roast. I won’t eat my last chunk of my last elk until the next one is on his way to the freezer.

Gotta try that...
I did some experimenting for you over the weekend NHY. My goal is to get you into a sub well done steak.

I found a 4lb chunk of elk backstrap in the freezer. Trimmed it. Brined it. Rubbed it with a homemade prime rib rub. Then packed it in a bag with a half stick of butter, fresh garden green onions, and garlic scapes. Spent 20 hours in a 135deg sous vide bath. Seared it 2 minutes a side over 600deg grill.

It was really good. Spoon tender. The texture was different in that it was closer to what you get with a well done steak, but with a juiciness more inline with medium. Zero juice/blood runoff. I topped it with a chunk of wild morel compound butter for insurance.

It’s worth a try. Sort of the best of both worlds. If I do it again, I’ll drop the spurs vide to 125 and do a shorter cook. But my wife who’s not into undercooked “bloody” meat absolutely loved it.

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpeg
    IMG_3930.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3926.jpeg
    IMG_3926.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3919.jpeg
    IMG_3919.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3918.jpeg
    IMG_3918.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
I did some experimenting for you over the weekend NHY. My goal is to get you into a sub well done steak.

I found a 4lb chunk of elk backstrap in the freezer. Trimmed it. Brined it. Rubbed it with a homemade prime rib rub. Then packed it in a bag with a half stick of butter, fresh garden green onions, and garlic scapes. Spent 20 hours in a 135deg sous vide bath. Seared it 2 minutes a side over 600deg grill.

It was really good. Spoon tender. The texture was different in that it was closer to what you get with a well done steak, but with a juiciness more inline with medium. Zero juice/blood runoff. I topped it with a chunk of wild morel compound butter for insurance.

It’s worth a try. Sort of the best of both worlds. If I do it again, I’ll drop the spurs vide to 125 and do a shorter cook. But my wife who’s not into undercooked “bloody” meat absolutely loved it.
Leftover shaved backstrap made an awesome Greek pita. IMG_3934.jpegIMG_3937.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back