Anybody Shipped Antelope Back Home Via UPS, etc?

EastTNHunter

When my dad and I went to CO on an elk hunt we drove because of the possibility of shipping back meat and antlers. It would have been crazy expensive to ship them, so we just didn’t even consider it. I took this mentality into my planned antelope hunting trip, but the more that I think of it, the more that I’m questioning the economy of this. If I can save a bunch of gas and a few hotel stays, then I could likely pay for my daughter’s and my plane tickets, and also shave a few days off of the trip (or refocus them into cool stuff in WY and SD). Yeah, we’d have to rent a car/truck when we got there, but it could keep wear and tear off of my vehicle so it may have some value there (and I just may have some points built up through Emerald/Enterprise).

So what is the cost for shipping back antelope meat and a cleaned skull? I could debone and pack it into a cheap styrofoam cooler that I purchase in the hunt area, buy some dry ice, and tape it shut. Is this an economical option, or is it just best to stick with the driving plan?

When my dad and I went to CO on an elk hunt we drove because of the possibility of shipping back meat and antlers. It would have been crazy expensive to ship them, so we just didn’t even consider it. I took this mentality into my planned antelope hunting trip, but the more that I think of it, the more that I’m questioning the economy of this. If I can save a bunch of gas and a few hotel stays, then I could likely pay for my daughter’s and my plane tickets, and also shave a few days off of the trip (or refocus them into cool stuff in WY and SD). Yeah, we’d have to rent a car/truck when we got there, but it could keep wear and tear off of my vehicle so it may have some value there (and I just may have some points built up through Emerald/Enterprise).

So what is the cost for shipping back antelope meat and a cleaned skull? I could debone and pack it into a cheap styrofoam cooler that I purchase in the hunt area, buy some dry ice, and tape it shut. Is this an economical option, or is it just best to stick with the driving plan?

No reason to even consider shipping them.
Get two soft coolers, like the XL ice mule pro.
Bone out the meat, cape the lope and wrap the horns....check them In as luggage. Last two lopes I killed I was able to put it all in one cooler bag and stay just under 50 pounds.

These guys are smaller. 30 lbs of meat would be huge. Bring them as luggage

Check ice chest as second bag. It was way less complicated than I had imagined.

I think I read a story on here about some dude bringing home a really small, boned out caribou in his SG pack as a carry on from Alaska.

Processed weight averaged 25 pounds across the 3 antelope we shot this year. Freeze it if you have time and you should be good to go.

When in a similar situation in the past, I've flown back with my firearms and meat while shipping my other gear. Other gear is less time/temperature sensitive than meat. IIRC it was about $50 to ship a duffle full of gear back to IN from ID. That's cheaper than extra baggage or overweight fees on an airline.

my dad and I flew back with frozen meat and capes from Wyoming last year. I believe they charged us $75 or $100 per ice chest we had 3

Has anyone ever shipped meat to friends? I want to get some pronghorn out to a buddy in MI, but not sure about the cost/logistics, etc.

Be sure to read up on flying with dry ice.

On our last antelope hunt, I left the heads with a taxi in Casper who did skull mounts and shipped them to us. A shoulder mount could also be shipped like that.

Comparable to an antelope, I shipped a lamb 4 day fed ex last year 35 lbs meat 15lbs dry ice thick Styrofoam cooler then in a box. Total weight around 50lbs.I think it was around $95 to ship. Arrived the fourth morning still frozen solid but dry ice was gone.

Thank you all for your input. I definitely have something else to consider now. There are pros and cons to both methods of travel for sure, but it sounds like shipping the meat is doable

Has anyone ever shipped meat to friends? I want to get some pronghorn out to a buddy in MI, but not sure about the cost/logistics, etc.
My brother and I hunted antelope in Wyoming. I live in CO and He lives in Texas. We didn’t have time to process and freeze his antelope so he left it here. Got it processed, put it in the deep freezer for a couple weeks and then shipped it usps in a insulated box made for shipping frozen food. I was able to fit the whole antelope in a 15”x15”x15” ish box weighing about 35 pounds. I had dry ice in the box and it was sent priority I believe (2-3 day***). I guess the promise dates don’t apply anymore. Shipped it on a Monday and he got it Friday. All frozen still, a couple packs had started to slightly soften. I want to say it was around $80.

I have a few times. Cooler with head hide and meat was 55 pounds. I shipped overnight on my Fed Ex acct. It cost less than extra baggage fee. Cooler was sitting in my driveway when I got home and meat was still frozen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back