Caribou Gear Tarp

Anybody have a 5.7x28mm?

Moved there from Montana in 1988. Came home in 1999. Worked mostly out of Dayton around the golf course. I met a couple Nevada natives that helped me along. Couple deer tags, lots of chukar and geese on the river. Went on a late elk hunt out of Ely with a friend. I actually miss Nevada. mtmuley

I work all around the Dayton golf course still, you'd have a hard time recognizing the place if you been around much since '99. Nevada is a great place, I intend to stay here indefinitely, but places like Montana have made that decision harder. We're hoping for deer tags this season, and maybe a cow tag or two.

I haven't been back. I really need to. If you can, pm me some pics of the area. mtmuley

I have the FN57. Great gun. Although because of the price, today i would try the Ruger.

Met a friend in Wyoming who had one of the rifles with a 50 round clip. I've seen some videos of folks shooting them. Might be fun shooting rats with night vision though.

It seems the ammo is short on supply again for this round. I am selling some to lower my stockpile a bit. Bought a bit more than needed when I was thinking about getting the rifle in 5.7X28 and now I can finally get some money back.

Is it possible to handload? mtmuley
Yes, but need to be very very careful. There has been many 5sevens turned into hand grenades loading that round. It scared me enough not to try it yet. I still save my brass but have not bought dies yet.

Yes, but need to be very very careful. There has been many 5sevens turned into hand grenades loading that round. It scared me enough not to try it yet. I still save my brass but have not bought dies yet.
What makes it dangerous? Case capacity?

What makes it dangerous? Case capacity?

Its super tough to reload. My understanding is that the brass is formed from a rod. In my experience, resizing was very difficult, and the shell holder was a major pain with the rim being so tiny. People were getting lots of separations. Plus, the cases are covered on the outside with some anti-friction coating to facilitate them rolling on their sides in the PS90 magazines. So, you can't wet or dry tumble them, and most ultrasonic cleaners strip the coating off, so cleaning is a PITA.

Last edited:
All the load manuals recommend working up a load in .1 increments.

the problem is the small case...pressure will spike rapidly.

I have only played with a few lead free options in handloads.

Is it possible to handload? mtmuley

Looked at my notes and close to 3,000 rounds loaded. A majority of what you read on the net regarding reloading the 5.7x28 is false. Mainly due to people who have zero experience reloading (or do reload but probably shouldn't) the round but will give their opinion from what they heard and have read online.

It's no more difficult to reload than any other round but there are a few differences.

The brass is to be only cleaned in a solution of simple green (1 part SG and 3 parts water). Soak for 20 min, rinse and lay on a towel to dry.
Yes, a bit more care and attention to detail needs to be practiced when charging the cases. The rounds is rated at 50,000psi so a couple tenths could ruin your day if you are already near max.
The brass is good for 4-6 reloads only.
Can't buy virgin brass.
Best and safest place to buy 1x fired brass is from an indoor range that only allows shooters to use ammo that needs to be purchased from the range.
I use a Dillion 550b with zero issues.
And I suppose someone with poor dexterity may not like or be able to handle the tiny case.

The comparison to the 22 mag is false. Not opinon but fact.

22 mag 40gr out of a pistol is ca. 1350fps (and close to 2000fps out of a rifle).
5.7x28 40gr quality reloads are 1900-1950fps (FN5.7). Factory loads are closer to 1800fps. I have no experience with the 5.7 out of a rifle.

The most common bullet for the 5.7 is the 40gr vmax.
rH2UTTb.jpg

The Barnes Banned Solids were fun before they was labeled as too scary.
8Vsii05.jpg

I have fired plenty of 50gr as well.
UUS5uDa.jpg

All the load manuals recommend working up a load in .1 increments.

the problem is the small case...pressure will spike rapidly.

I have only played with a few lead free options in handloads.
Exactly. If you are using a thrower and not weighing every charge you better be checking them often. .2 grains off on a 300 win mag will not mean it will blow out a primer because the ratio of case volume to error volume is small. Now take a tiny 5.7 case .2 off is a large ratio. This is where I would bet most guys blow up a gun, they were not consistent. Even pressing in a bullet .020 further can make a huge pressure spike in a case with a volume that small

A bit of attention to detail for sure but its not nitroglycerin.

I do perform an additional step through ....

Randomly grab 20 cases and 20 bullets to get an average weight then I will weigh each loaded round at the end of a session; takes less than 5 sec/round.
FYI, I reload at near max.

I don't have one...yet! But the new Ruger 57 is now on my short list to acquire. While I don't know anything about the reloading side of the 5.7x28, from as much information as I could get my hands on, FN came out with a fantastic little round. As a defensive round, I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm sure FN has done their research, as for use as a hunting round, I think it would do well for small game like fox or coyotes.

Gonna revive this thread and see what the consensus is like nowadays!? Thinking of buying a pistol to keep in the pickup mainly. Don't carry rifles around like I used to with kids around, and a pistol i could hide in places much better plus take up much less space. Just looking to shoot the occasional badger, coon, coyote, etc. Varmints that are no good around the farm basically. I am a big fan of the 17hmr and this is fairly similar really. S&W makes one now and which is threaded and I could throw my rimfire suppressor on it, so that's cool too.
I had planned on just going with a regular revolver in probably a 357 but then came across this 5.7 and it's got me curious.

Gonna revive this thread and see what the consensus is like nowadays!? Thinking of buying a pistol to keep in the pickup mainly. Don't carry rifles around like I used to with kids around, and a pistol i could hide in places much better plus take up much less space. Just looking to shoot the occasional badger, coon, coyote, etc. Varmints that are no good around the farm basically. I am a big fan of the 17hmr and this is fairly similar really. S&W makes one now and which is threaded and I could throw my rimfire suppressor on it, so that's cool too.
I had planned on just going with a regular revolver in probably a 357 but then came across this 5.7 and it's got me curious.
5.7 is a low recoil, high velocity cartridge and will definitely put down any of the critters you listed. The 20 round capacity really makes it a versatile handgun. I have one going up for sale if your interested, make an offer.
FN 5.7 w/Trijicon RMR
3 factory 10 rd mags
4 factory 20 rd mags
~500+ rounds FN blue tip ammo
~200+ rounds American Eagle fmj
58897 (4).jpeg58881 (1).jpeg58880 (1).jpeg146194.jpeg

That is a good looking setup but I am thinking about trading in a 6.5 creedmoor that I won. But will keep ya in mind if I decide not to do that

5.7 is a low recoil, high velocity cartridge and will definitely put down any of the critters you listed. The 20 round capacity really makes it a versatile handgun. I have one going up for sale if your interested, make an offer.
FN 5.7 w/Trijicon RMR
3 factory 10 rd mags
4 factory 20 rd mags
~500+ rounds FN blue tip ammo
~200+ rounds American Eagle fmj

Hook , line, and sinker.. lol ..I'm really trying to thin out unused guns but,

What 6.5 are you thinking about getting rid of? 😁
ha, it's a tikka roughtech. It's brand new never been fired which is why trading at lgs would be pretty easy. I am a big tikka fan which is why have been hesitant of what I want to do. A 6.5 just doesn't fit in my arsenal really, but I have built off a tikka before and not against doing it again. Real life issues here lol

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back