Anybody have a 5.7x28mm?

mtmuley

Always thought this was a cool round. FN pistols were always expensive. Ruger just released it in one of their pistols. My BIL had the FN but since sold it. Anybody else have one? mtmuley

I've been through several. I bought a FN 5.7 pistol, and really enjoyed it. Light, 20 round flush fit mags, mild recoil, good ergonomics, overall nice handgun. I had a AR57 upper for an AR too. The long, flat 50 round FN PS90 mags it used were cool, and it was a fun gun. I liked the caliber so much, that I had my local gunsmith chamber a Remington 700 in 5.7 for me. I ordered a fluted Krieger #6 profile barrel, HS Precision stock. I had a blast shooting all these over the chrono and messing around with reloading. The bolt gun was extremely accurate and super mild in recoil. I was disappointed that the smith was never able to make it a repeater, and ultimately I had the gun rechambered to 223 and sold the bolt and reamer to a guy who wanted to build his own. The PS90 is a riot, and the best PDW I've ever played with. The Ruger has me interested, especially with the new CMMG AR uppers out there.

I think it's interesting as a pistol. The Ruger is still light when loaded with 20 rounds. A bit big for carry maybe though. How long have you been in CC? mtmuley

I have had an FN5.7 for ten years and have loaded at least a couple thousand rounds for it. Most being with the 40gr vmax.
If the Ruger is well designed and no issues it should do very well since it is about 1/2 the price of an FN. If you get the Ruger, put a red dot on top and easily shoot nice groups at 100yds.

I have an FN.

Even with the super special secret squirrel ammo.....it’s just a reloadable 22 mag.

The black tips which you can’t acquire without permits and a purpose....will penetrate body armor, but so will some of the monolithic bullets driven hard in a 9mm.

I have an FN.

Even with the super special secret squirrel ammo.....it’s just a reloadable 22 mag.

The black tips which you can’t acquire without permits and a purpose....will penetrate body armor, but so will some of the monolithic bullets driven hard in a 9mm.

Not even close.

And you are also wrong on the black tips. You can buy all the pulled black tip bullets you want.

And you are also wrong on the black tips. You can buy all the pulled black tip bullets you want.

Let me know when you can go buy 5.7x28 Ap ammo ready to go.

and yup....without that....it’s just a 22 mag.

both right in the 2000-2300 fps range depending on bullet weight

let’s see your references....I’m waiting...

The FN is blast to shoot, unreal what that round can do a longer distances with a small red dot sight is behind it

Not going to debate you when you are clearly not open to another's experience.
Reread my post and look for the word "pulled".
We are discussing FN5.7 so your fps numbers are ridiculous.
And no, 5.7x28 is not comparable to the 22 mag.

Have a good night.

Last comment for the night ......

I have chrono'd the crap out of various 22 mag ammo out of a PMR30 and 5.7x28 through a FN5.7.

Not going to debate you when you are clearly not open to another's experience.
Reread my post and look for the word "pulled".
We are discussing FN5.7 so your fps numbers are ridiculous.
And no, 5.7x28 is not comparable to the 22 mag.

Have a good night.

you are correct. You said pulled bullets....but those will be too heavy for the 5.7

here is some load data to back up my statements. Not hard to find 22 magnum velocities to go along with it.

22 magnum with the proper bullet weight will tie these velocities in a handgun.

488B1A7C-C08F-45D4-B324-E0578A30E5DA.jpeg

I've been in CC since 1985, we moved down the hill from Tahoe when I was almost 6.
Moved there from Montana in 1988. Came home in 1999. Worked mostly out of Dayton around the golf course. I met a couple Nevada natives that helped me along. Couple deer tags, lots of chukar and geese on the river. Went on a late elk hunt out of Ely with a friend. I actually miss Nevada. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back