Anybody had a close calls in the outdoors

I laid there in the silence for another half hour, before it was broken again by the sound of an elk bugle. The light was just starting to filter in and the bulls were working themselves into a frenzy, but I had had all of the fun I could handle for one trip. As I walked out listening to the rut going on all around me I vowed from that time on law or no law I would protect myself with more than some seasoning salt and a hatchet when in grizz country! I'm grateful for all of the experiences that I have in the woods, but some I care never to repeat. Be careful out there!

Are you telling us it was impossible for you to continue hunting when your sphincter was clenched tight enough to make diamonds?!:eek:

Elkdiesel, that is friggin nuts!

>I think belly-deep's signature would apply to me in that situation : 'I just $hiat my pants, and there is nothing you or anybody else can do about it!' Yeeehaw.

My close call was in the fall of 1999 - awoke to a gorgeous snowfall, and cold tent on the opening day of 2nd rifle season. With deer and elk tags to fill and bugling elk above us,(yes, going off in the 2nd season at 4am!!!!) I began the chore of warming the tent and making some mud. Get the 'cabin' warmed up.

With my brand new Gerber axe, sharp little CS's) I knelt to splinter off some starter, and 1st swing WHACK - THUD, Down goes Frazier! (I was not prepared to wood chop at 4am.) Threw that sucker right into my knee. Needless to say that woke up elk camp. Panic - what to do?

Well, I could not miss opener. Spent an hour cleaning and dressing and butterflyed the sucker. We got out at 1st light, made the first ridge and I shot a little buck. 1 deer tag in camp - 1 tag filled. Not bad. I was feeling prettty good - 1/4 mile in and 1 deer hangin'.
The wound did not cooperate, after that. The next 2 ridges get steep and it opened up and started this 'sucking' noise with every step after that point. Another ridge later, I was thinking I needed to get back, getting sick to my gut, and maybe to the hoispital? The day was too good, and I could not let my buddies miss out on an epic elk hunt.
I sent them after the elk and I turned back to make my way to town. An hour hike was 3.5 hours. A couple hours after that, I arrive at the Steamboat Hospital - checked into ER. Nurse acts odd, I panic, blood pressure is whack, she was afraid I was going to crash. Rush to surgrey.

Last year I drew a tahr ballot for the westcoast alps in New Zealand. The dates to chopper in are set ( 1 week only ) and can't be changed. We were told of an incoming storm but I left the decision up to my kiwi friend who is also a firefighter. Storms are common on the westcoast and since he lives there I figured he knew best.
We choppered in and shortly after setting up camp it began to rain.
Woke up during the night soaking wet, shined a light to see my tent 2" deep with water. The storm dumped 10" of rain driven by 100 kph winds and gust' of 140 kph non-stop for over 40 hours.
Our down bags were soaked and after the rain stopped it snowed. If I had to stay 1 more night I might not have woke up, hypothermia was knocking on the door.
Fortunately we had mountain radio and satellite phone. Chopper picked us up while it was still quite windy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6zQz6EACY&feature=youtu.be

Never had a real close call hunting other than being dehydrated and not having enough food.

My closest call in the wilderness was snowboarding in some side country near Mt. Baker Ski Area in 2000. We opted for safer slopes as opposed to gnarlier terrain, but others didn't. They touched of an avalanche with a slab 100ft wide and a 6ft crown. We were literally minutes ahead of the group that set it off, had we left later, rode slower or they moved quicker we would have been swept away or left to try and outrun it like a James Bond movie.

Some pics from the day.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

On a backpacking trip, I once told my wife to quit her #%^<€¥£ and carry 1/2 the tent.

While I've had a number of scary close encounters outdoors with black bears, cape buffalo, rattle snakes, scorpions, spiders, thunder storms, flash floods, and even a rhinoceros once, none of it scares me as much as dealing humans!

Back at the turn of the century I was dating a girl from South Africa. We decided to go see her parents for Christmas and spend the millennium celebration in Cape Town. While we were in the country we spent a couple of nights on the Hluhluwe Umfolozi game reserve, not hunting, just sight seeing. One morning we left with a group of others and an armed guide to walk the bush and see game. Our guide took us to a small wooded area near a river and found sign of what he thought was most likely a hippo. We looked around the area a bit and found more sign and ventured into the woods. As we entered the woods he decided that the sign we were seeing was most likely a white rhino. A few yards later we encountered a cow white rhino and her calf about 80 yards ahead of us. We did the only smart thing, we followed the guide to see how close we could get. At about 30 yards she decided she didn't like what was happening and became restless. The guide bent down and picked up a branch. Right before he threw it off to her side he leaned over and said, "rhinos have poor eyesight and this will confuse her and she will run away." As the branch struck the brush next to her she turned right at us and charged. We all scattered, the guide was leading the way, .270 and all. Things would not have been too bad had another guy and myself not chosen the same path to exit. I took two steps, ran into the guy, and we both went face down into the mud. What felt like forever must have lasted a few seconds, just lying there waiting to be gored and trampled. Luckily she stopped, deciding we were no threat and ambled off into the bush. The group got back together, everyone was fine, and we continued on our way. Funny enough we encountered another rhino cow and calf and the guide once again wanted to get closer, so I did the only smart thing again and followed him to within 40- 50 yards. Ultimately, we all made it back to the lodge intact and alive, and I have a pretty cool story to tell.

I agree that sometimes dealing with humans can be scary.......in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon back in high school, I was looking for a meat buck as rifle season was coming to an end. I was almost at the top/center of a fairly steep clear cut (very young trees new growth) standing on a boulder wearing plenty of hunter orange and glassing the edges of the cut, anxious for one to step out. I had been there for a couple hours and several hundred yards at the bottom of the cut, another truck pulled up next to mine and two guys got out and started glassing and making quite the ruckus yelling and whatnot but I couldn't figure out what they were saying. I ignored them and went back to glassing, however, shots started ringing out and bullets were hitting the boulder pile so I scrambled behind them to safety. They proceeded to fire all the ammo they brought with them, laughing/hooting/hollering the whole time, then jumped in their rig and took off. Never was able to get a license plate or get a good look at faces but that was scary as hell and pissed me off.

I agree that sometimes dealing with humans can be scary.......in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon back in high school, I was looking for a meat buck as rifle season was coming to an end. I was almost at the top/center of a fairly steep clear cut (very young trees new growth) standing on a boulder wearing plenty of hunter orange and glassing the edges of the cut, anxious for one to step out. I had been there for a couple hours and several hundred yards at the bottom of the cut, another truck pulled up next to mine and two guys got out and started glassing and making quite the ruckus yelling and whatnot but I couldn't figure out what they were saying. I ignored them and went back to glassing, however, shots started ringing out and bullets were hitting the boulder pile so I scrambled behind them to safety. They proceeded to fire all the ammo they brought with them, laughing/hooting/hollering the whole time, then jumped in their rig and took off. Never was able to get a license plate or get a good look at faces but that was scary as hell and pissed me off.

should have returned the volley. :) I was standing in my dads driveway on opening weekend of gun season here in Indiana about 10 yrs ago talking to a friend of my dads and waiting on dad to come out of the woods from the morning hunt. . .mike says " look at that huge doe in the field" I pull up my bino's and take a look ( no buck with her) mike takes a look and the deer bolts for the State Park boundary fence and we hear a strange whistling sound and then bang a slug hits my dads house and mushrooms in the brick. . .we both damn near wet ourselves. . .it was about 10 feet from where we were. Some hilljack had taken a pot shot at the doe and missed. . .I drove over to where the truck was parked and told them what happened and told them if they thought I was mad, wait till my Dad got in from the woods. . .I told them it was in their best interest to haul a$$ now. . .they did. My Dad was furious when we told him . . .he knew who hunted the farm and drove down and had a "chat". . .they have not hunted that farm since! Getting a stray bullet thrown your way is scary, but, not as scary as Dad when it comes to people that do stupid crap like that.

Working my summer job in the woods, head down staring at my GPS and hear a Blaaahh.
Look up to a still wet calf moose, Start backing away and hear a stick pop behind me, turn around to mamma 10 yards behind me. Knowing I am in deep doo doo, start going east and attempting to locate a big tree to hide behind, none in area that moose could not two footed peppy steve me around. Look back again, and she is gone.

Another time floating the river with friends got sucked into a vortex, eventually was able to row out of it, but thought for sure we were going across the river of Styx in our boat/ staying on a carnival ride forever.

One other time, out hiking around, moving up the trail and a micro burst type windstorm starts dropping trees and limbs everywhere around us, thought for sure we would get crushed but my guardian angel was there to get us out of there safely.

Not really a close call, but the getting shot at stories made me think of this one.

My brother and I packed in 6 miles in the MT back-country for an opening day rifle hunt. We climbed up to a lake at 9300 feet the day before opening. We know that area very well and had a early morning vista planned out. We left camp an hour or so before daylight opening morning and climbed up to a ridge. The northside of the ridge is nearly vertical - so we planned on glassing for any early morning movement to the south and make a quick stalk.

As the sun came up, there were many different groups of elk getting kicked around below us. I can't remember exactly how many smaller herds we saw that morning, but it was close to a dozen. I knew of some solid trails below that get frequently used - so I moved down to one because one of the herds was moving that way. My brother took off to the west after another group.

I was close to the trail when I heard the elk coming fast. There were 2 small raghorns and I wasn't 100% sure they were legal. I passed on a shot when they were at 20 yards since I couldn't make out brow-tines through the timber. I was sitting up against a big rock and decided to try to run a flank move to see if I could get a solid look at one of the bulls. When I stood up - I noticed another hunter across the small ravine - about 150 yards from me. He was following the elk with his gun - with me as a back-drop.

Needless to say, I hit the ground quick. He shot twice. When he was done, I moved back up to the ridge top and watched the rest of the elk move away. I didn't see both rag-horns, so I assumed that he got one.

I hunted the rest of the morning and ended up taking a nice rag-horn that morning. My brother shot a nice bull about an hour after I did.

Later that afternoon my brother and I re-grouped by the lake near our campsite. I ran into some horse hunters - and noticed the guy that shot the bull. When I brought it up to him - all he said was - "Oh, you were the guy up there? I shot the one bull in the neck and tried for the other one but missed him."

I'm immediately pissed from him trying to poach (let alone shooting in my direction at close range), but the guy seemed off to me and I didn't want to push the issue. He did tell me who he was - he was pretty proud of that.

My brother and I spent the next 3 days packing elk meat. Near the last day we ran into another hunter. He asked us if we had shot an elk, cut the horns off and left the meat. I let him know that we'd been packing our elk out - but by the description of the poached elk - I knew who had done it. So I called the game warden that night and told him the story. The guy was a known poacher apparently, and the warden wanted a notarized letter from me. I sent that along and never heard anything as the outcome.

One night a couple of years later I was watching the local news. They ran a picture of this guy - he was wanted for holding up a bank with full-auto weapons. They caught him and he's now in the federal pen.

Two highschool buddies and I are in the truck and one notices a badger come out of a hole about 100 yrds away. We scramble out of the truck and start running to get the badger...with no weapons. At about 300 yards I pass the badger to get in front of him while my two friends are in hot pursuit behind him. I turn around 20 yards in front of the badger and plant myself in attack possition with a big grin on my face thinking take that. At 5 yards the badger peels his gumms back, expossing all those teeth, lets out a horrifing hiss, goes into attack mode, and charges. Reality hit me that I was going to loose this battle so I start back peddling and spin and run. The bad part is that my buddies are still driving the badger at me and my legs are tired from the dead sprint and the pissed off badger is gaining. Finally, the badger stops chasing me after another 100 yards or so and runs down a hole. I wanted to puke but was glad the varmit didn't get a hold of me.....not my finest hour.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back