Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Any Must-Sees?

B

BuglinDrew

Taking a 10-day, ~ 3,000 mile road trip with my bride-to-be for our honeymoon in a couple weeks. We originally wanted to swing up through Coeur d'Alene and Glacier NP, but with the post-covid crowds and reservation systems we decided to table that until next summer and cut our trip a little bit short.

This route is pretty much set as I have booked most motels/campsites at our stops already, but wanted to check with the HT community if there are any must sees along this route that I may be overlooking?

We don't have much for plans other than hiking, fishing and wildlife viewing at this time so any suggestions are appreciated!

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 7.01.19 AM.png

All I can see on that route that I'm familiar with is the fossil beds national monument at Twin Falls.

I would recommend instead of going thru Idaho Falls to cut over to Dubois then take 22-33-26-20 to Boise thru Arco, etc. See Crater of the Moon and the vast sage brush flats with mountain backdrop. Does not add too much time to your drive, at all. Much better drive than going thru Twin Falls.

Craters of the Moon is a really neat landscape, and the sage flats around Dubois and Arco are some of my favorite landscapes anywhere. It is really scenic when you come down thru the Boise National Forest, as well.

Second Craters of the Moon.

Eat at the Star Hotel in Elko.

Go see Steens Mountain and the Frenchglenn area. There is some neat history there. Read about Peter French first.

Taking a 10-day, ~ 3,000 mile road trip with my bride-to-be for our honeymoon in a couple weeks. We originally wanted to swing up through Coeur d'Alene and Glacier NP, but with the post-covid crowds and reservation systems we decided to table that until next summer and cut our trip a little bit short.

This route is pretty much set as I have booked most motels/campsites at our stops already, but wanted to check with the HT community if there are any must sees along this route that I may be overlooking?

We don't have much for plans other than hiking, fishing and wildlife viewing at this time so any suggestions are appreciated!

View attachment 187226
Looks like a great trip. I have some of those routes on my motorcycle trip planned for Alaska when I retire...or just decide to stpart doing something else for work...which is likely to happen before I actually retire.

Looks like a great trip. I have some of those routes on my motorcycle trip planned for Alaska when I retire...or just decide to stpart doing something else for work...which is likely to happen before I actually retire.
If you have time you may consider doing a little longer stretch of the PCH to the south. I’ve done the southern stretch but my next trip out there will include a ride north fro San Francisco. absolutely beautiful drive.

Thanks for the suggestions all. I had looked at Crater of The Moon and Mesa Falls, so good to hear confirmation that they are worth a look.

I wanted to avoid National Parks all together, but I've spent a lot of time around the south and east entrances of Yellowstone, but haven't explored the west side much - so I couldn't help myself. I think the plan is to try to get to the entrance well before sunrise and be on our way out and back to Laramie by the time the mass of crowds start arriving.

I would recommend instead of going thru Idaho Falls to cut over to Dubois then take 22-33-26-20 to Boise thru Arco, etc. See Crater of the Moon and the vast sage brush flats with mountain backdrop. Does not add too much time to your drive, at all. Much better drive than going thru Twin Falls.

Craters of the Moon is a really neat landscape, and the sage flats around Dubois and Arco are some of my favorite landscapes anywhere. It is really scenic when you come down thru the Boise National Forest, as well.
I second that recommendation. Twin Falls is the armpit of Idaho in my opinion. Plumber's butt also comes to mind.

The smaller parks and monuments are usually a nice place to stop for a break. Look for the old cavalry posts. A big one in Laramie as I recall. Visit them now before it becomes politically correct for Native American hooligans/protestors to burn them down.

Coming out of West Yellowstone for a more remote detour you can take a sweet gravel road from Henry’s Lake up and over the pass to the Centennial Valley in MT. Gorgeous! Two options at the junction to I15. Change the route to Boise to go through the Big Hole, Bitterroot, Lolo, and Salmon Valleys I.e Gods Country! If thats not in the cards then continue route as the others have noted through Craters of the Moon/ Challis country. If you want to continue through Pocatello then you need to stop at the 313 Whiskey Room and pick up some of their Bourbon Maple Syrup. Good stuff!

View attachment 187226
Well your turning point nearest me, is Hebgen/Earthquake Lakes. Both hold HUGE fish. Last time we were there we did well to catch fish, and saw some mountain goats up on the adjacent mountain, that is public NF lands if I’m not mistaken.. lots of beautiful hiking to be done- watch out for da griz… good luck! and safe travels!

I did that almost exact route back in '16 with my family. Instead of continuing on I-80 south west of Winnemucca to Reno we went straight west through the Black Rock Desert and entered California on a mostly deserted dirt county road east or Susanville. I didn't know what Burning Man was at the time, and am kinda of glad we missed it, haha. We stayed in Redding a few days and finally made it to Crescent City. The redwoods were awesome. I even drove through one. ;) Went back through Oregon, and don't remember anything other than breaking down. The prius didn't like running out of oil🙄. We did not come back through Jellystone, but instead went through Cashe Valley and stayed a few days at Bear Lake. Caribbean of the Rockies! Anyway, should be a great time!

Just got back and finished up editing some photos, figured I would update this thread rather than spamming another image thread.

Driving and hiking through the Redwoods - probably the highlight of the trip for me
IQ0A0381.jpg

IQ0A0285.jpg

IQ0A0453.jpg

IQ0A0477.jpg

Crater Lake, OR
IQ0A0489.jpg

IQ0A0496.jpg

Finished up coming through Yellowstone on our way back, the people watching in West Yellowstone certainly rivaled the wildlife viewing in the park
IQ0A0509.jpg

IQ0A0501.jpg

Salt lake is actually pretty cool. The salt flats are pretty wild for a Midwesterner.

I second Crater Lake , But also be advised your travel path is going to be really close to the ginormous 400,000 acre bootleg fire it was at 53% contained as of yesterday , which is a little north east of Klamath Falls, keep that on your radar
69FBE263-5697-4311-90ED-45CB282FF26C.png

Back