MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Woodland Caribou

Great hunt and pics. Nothing like Newfoundland. Funny that you mentioned running into your camp mates, while waiting on the ferry. We had the same thing happen. They were at the table next to us, in the little seafood place just down from the ferry.

We had a caribou bull come right up to within bow range, while we were out hunting moose. That particular area was nearly void of caribou back then.

Great hunt and pics. Nothing like Newfoundland. Funny that you mentioned running into your camp mates, while waiting on the ferry. We had the same thing happen. They were at the table next to us, in the little seafood place just down from the ferry.

We had a caribou bull come right up to within bow range, while we were out hunting moose. That particular area was nearly void of caribou back then.

Yes seem like every hunter is on the ferry or waiting for the ferry.

Mixed reports on Bou there now. My last trip I didnt see any, thankfully I didnt have tag either.
I knew going into things that there might be slim pickings. I was ok with that. Finding out that I was going to be moved to another area was an unexpected bonus, appreciate the outfitter thinking ahead like that and will to foot an added expense.

Great hunt and good read!
Was one of the PA. guys Brendan Enty? He was up there the same time did the ferry and all that stuff.

You just sold me on a Newfoundland moose trip. I have been thinking about it for almost two years now. Unless I draw one in the lower 48 I think I am going to try and go in 2024. Did you see any black bear while you were there?

You just sold me on a Newfoundland moose trip. I have been thinking about it for almost two years now. Unless I draw one in the lower 48 I think I am going to try and go in 2024. Did you see any black bear while you were there?

I was with Portland, Creek Outfitters, in 2011. I had a bear permit and we saw several in the couple days I had left to hunt after killing a moose. The problem was, that the country was real tough and the weather moved in and tanked our chances for a stalk. Some outfitters have a baiting program, I believe, and they kill some monster bears. Newfoundland is a really neat place and will provide the experience of a lifetime.

I have had some great moose hunts in NF, like you I got tired of not drawing tags In the lower 48. i can’t wait to get back up. If my schedule allowed it I would go every year or other year. Dad and I are going back in 22, which was the first opening they had.
I did see one black bear on this last trip, got within 25 yards of him. He was beautifu. That was the first bear I have seen in NF, the area my last couple hunts have been are not known for a big bear populatio. There are however places on the rock that have good numbers, and they kill some really big bears. if I was booking a bear hunt I would do my due diligence in regards to the unit because there is quite a variation in population depending on the location.

Newfoundland is a really neat place and will provide the experience of a lifetime.

I agree. I been fortunate enough to hunt much of of North America and have great experiences. Newfoundland has its own feel, there is a undeniable uniqueness to that you can’t help but notice. The people are as much a part of Newfoundland as the land. You won’t find nicer people anywhere.

If you don’t mind me asking what does it costs to do a trip like this all in? Guide fees, tags, travel , meat shipping if neccessary etc.

Mine was in 2011, so I am sure that it is higher, and it depends on which of the plethora of outfitters, that you pick. We drove from home (3000 miles on my new truck) and the trip cost us each $6000 total, for everything. I am sure it would be more now, but it is still pretty reasonable, compared to some northern trips.

If you don’t mind me asking what does it costs to do a trip like this all in? Guide fees, tags, travel , meat shipping if neccessary etc.
Most fly in based hunts for moose are about 6k and up. Drive into camps will cost less then that. Caribou hunts double that. Tags in NF are about 450 for moose and 650 for bou.
travel depends, you can fly into deer lake or st johns which saves some time but adds to logistics and expense getting your meat back. Or you can drive and take the ferry from nova Scotia.
i say a moose hunt for flying in you looking at 10k total. do a drive in camp and you might cut 20 percent off that.

Back